Author Topic: Windows 10 can't see drive properly  (Read 4531 times)

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
Windows 10 can't see drive properly
« on: February 14, 2016, 04:26:16 pm »
I have a Western Digital 2TB USB3 passport Elite portable hard drive that appears to have problems with Windows 10. If I plug it into a USB port while viewing Explorer (This PC) I hear the sound & several seconds later the drive letter pops up & on left hand side of screen where it calls it Local Drive (H) but neither the Total Size of Free Space have anything displayed at all. If I click on the drive to open it, Windows stops responding & just hangs until I unplug drive.

Under Device manager the Drive is call WD My Passport 0830USB. If I click on the drive the window it says that the drive is working properly. I have scanned for a better driver but it says I already have it. If I scan for hardware changes nothing happens that I can see. I can click each tab under properties but I can't see any clue as to what the problem is.  When I tried to tun off PC nothing happens until I unplug USB.

Where do I look next? I have never had so many of these type problem until I upgraded to Windows 10?
Thanks in advance

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 can't see drive properly
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 02:15:26 am »
This may be one for WD Support - http://store.wdc.com/store/wdau/DisplayTechnicalAssistancePage?resid=VsGfowrR-QEAAO86ldAAAAIH&rests=1455529891644 but hit the green button for the trial version of HD Sentinel to see what that reports for the Elite.

http://www.hdsentinel.com/

You could also open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter chkdsk h: /f to see what that reports and do you have access to a non-Win 10 machine to see how it works on that ?