Author Topic: Error "Windows could not connect to the system to the System Event Notification"  (Read 37840 times)

Offline Phillip92

• View Profile
Getting this error at startup. Computer functions ok but is running tremendously slow. To the point it took over two hours just to open Windows Repair Tool and 7 hours to run ComboFix. It appears as no viruses but not sure what problem could be as the computer functions and loads up. Startup takes 20 mins. I have had viruses before and they have slowed down my CPU down but nothing compared to this. Ran the Windows Repair Tool in Safe Mood but failed after 4 tries stating that something is keeping repair from running. Suggested posting here. WRT showed my memory at my 6gb. I thought maybe the hard drive but wouldn't it stop loading Windows if corrupt or damaged? I'm pretty good with computers but am stumped at this. Somebody please help!!!! Running on Windows 7. 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 11:15:47 am by Phillip92 »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
To be sure your HDD is okay, run a command prompt as an admin and enter chkdsk /f

Follow the prompt to type y and press enter then enter shutdown /r /t 00 and wait for it to do its thing.

If you miss its report, you can view it in Event Viewer by going Start - type eventvwr and press enter.

When it has read the data, expand Windows Logs - click on the name Application - Action - Find then type chckdsk or wininit into the Find box and press enter.

Cancel the Find box and read the report in the scrollable window.

As well as seeing if it has repaired anything, note if it reports any KBs in bad sectors.

Offline Phillip92

• View Profile
Thank you for the response :)

Currently running CHKDSK now. Had trouble getting it to run. Looks like it's running ok now. Read a similiar problem on BleepingComputer.com. Suggested using WD Data Lifeguard Tools. A friend said to try Power Tools to isolate bad sectors. What do you think? Everything on my hard drive is accesible but takes minutes to open. It's a replacement WD 1 Tb. Replaced about a year ago. I'll post my results when completed.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
A chkdsk /r will do that, but wait for the chkdsk /f to complete as something else could be the cause of the error.

Offline Phillip92

• View Profile
Is there any other way to access the log? It must time out before I can open it. Same way trying to start chkdsk this way. I click on the start button, wait a few mins, click on the search bar, wait a few mins, type the command in, wait a few mins, it comes up but after clicking it never opens. I've tried 4 times :(

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Let's try it from the Windows Recovery Environment (WRE).

This is accessed by tapping F8 as you switch on - but this key can differ with computer model.

From the options in the advanced boot options, select Repair your Computer - change/confirm the keyboard using the dropdown and follow the prompts until you get the options starting with Startup Repair.

Select Command Prompt and enter  bcdedit |find "osdevice" and using whichever partition letter, enter (assuming c)  chkdsk c: /f

That is a Pipe symbol before find and I usually explain that this is the upper case of \

This will give its report in the cmd window and won't produce an Event Viewer log, so you will have to make a note of anything it finds.

Type and enter exit to close the cmd window.

Depending upon what the chkdsk reports, you could try the Startup Repair option to see what that reports and this can be run up to three times if it first reports it is unable to repair.

Offline Phillip92

• View Profile
Ok, still no change. Got the report in safe mode. States "Windows has checked the file system and found no problem".
Also ran Western Digitals LifeGuard Diagnostics and also found no errors.
Couldn't run chkdsk /r as it says need admin authorization and I'm the only user. I have tried ckdsk /f in safe mode and it won't complete, says it's read only.
Currently running Malwarebytes and its in the last stages and it's over 8 hours running at this point.
Not sure what to do next  :/
Also checked the combofix log and it canceled out stating it could not preform a restore point.
I'm willing to lose everything on my cpu at this point, I have anything important backed up on an external drive.
Would a complete restore help??
I have a Gateway SX2802-03 running W7.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 12:01:09 pm by Phillip92 »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
If the chkdsk c: /f also reported 0 KBs in bad sectors, then yes, I'd go for the factory reset, but in addition to your personal stuff you have backed up - also create a full system image as a fall back should there be any problems with the factory reset.

The free version of MBAM usually takes about 40mins on my Win 7 and even an ESET Free Online Scanner has only taken about an hour and a half max, so something is holding it up.

You could leave the scan running to satisfy your curiosity, or cancel it and get on with the factory reset which can be time consuming enough on its own.

Offline Phillip92

• View Profile
Ok here's the newest update.

I cancelled Malwarebytes after 12 hours running. It found nothing at that point.

I ran Tails through a boot up disk as it runs on Linux and not Windows just to see how it responded. It actually functioned ok. I was able to open basic files and close with little to no lag. My WiFi adapter doesn't work with Linux so I didn't have internet access through Tor.

So I'm assuming it's Windows so I downloaded a Windows 7 disk on another PC and ran through a .exe file. It seemed to be working til about 6 hours after it came up with an error stating "Windows could not retrieve information about the disks on this computer" so it cancelled out :(

It's not my hard drive so not sure what steps to take next.

Should I try in Safe Mode? Make a bootable DVD/USB for Windows 7? Try Windows 10 as its a free upgrade now? Or do you have another suggestion to restore that won't time out? 

I can try all these options but taking 12 hours just to get an error sucks! Lol. So wondering what you think would be most affective.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
hmmm so usually when i fix computers I first clean infection I use adwcleaner https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/ run that a couple of times. Then I run eset online scanner to see if that picks up anything as well and if that does not i'm usually in the go to clean up the computer. now i usually use portable apps and use the wise disk cleaner first then registry cleaner after.  Now after that runs and i've rebooted the system i like to run MSconfig from the run box i like to see what services are running and startup item's as well. and i'll disable the one's that i feel are not necessary to run all the time at startup. now with that set I open diskcleaner the one that's built into windows and i clean everything that wise cleaner missed. after that runs i open the run box again and type in prefetch and it opens the prefetch folder i select everything from that folder and delete it. then i reboot the Computer. After that is all said and done I open windows repair reboot into safe mode. i go to step to and check the environment variable's and apply the new paths on all 7 steps. Then I go to prescan  and hit the repair reparse points i scan then repair selected after. that it's step 3 chkdsk if it finds errors i tell it to check at start up. if not i reboot anyways because of the environment variable's i just changed (easiest way to reboot and stay in safe mode is hit the reboot to safemode button otherwise if you reboot normally it will go back to windows 7 non safe mode) After it's all rebooted I make a registry backup this can be done on step 5 in windows repair. then I open repairs and click the default repair button then run the repairs. let it reboot and go back into safe mode to run the (repair section only) again.
Julian

Offline Phillip92

• View Profile
Thanks for the info Julian. I made a bootable USB of Windows and am currently installing. So far so good. If this fails or doesn't fix the issue will try your ideas. Main problem is my cpu even in safe mode is horribly slow. It takes over 5 mins to get msconfig to run. Combo fix took over 7 hours and crashed, Malwarebytes ran for 12 before stopping it. I figured since it ran ok in Linux(Tails) it was an issue with Windows. I'm hoping the reinstall of Windows 7 will fix it.
I'll update with the outcome once done.
Thanks to you and Boggin for your help :)

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Curious was the Linux distro you've used just a live  CD or did you physically install it to the hdd with the Windows on it?
Julian

Offline Phillip92

• View Profile
Well I finally got a clean version of Windows 7 installed, no adware or bloatware. Didn't change a thing. Still beyond slow. I'm going to run through all the basic diagnostics and see if anything new comes up. All hardware diagnostics came back fine previously. I can assume it's a hardware issue at this point just have no idea what!!! Any ideas would be appreciated.

Offline Phillip92

• View Profile
It's a bootable DVD version of Tails. I startup from the DVD and run it. Once you exit it deletes all info and boots Windows from the hdd. It worked fine through there using it being Linux based but Windows doesn't. Was hoping a reinstall deleting everything would work but nope! Same problem persists.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Nice sounds like a bad hdd run chkdsk /f let it reboot and run then open event viewer and see what the log says
Julian

Offline Phillip92

• View Profile
Did that previously and came back with no bad sectors and no errors. Took overnight to do. I'll try running it again since the reinstall. Should I run the chkdsk/ r?

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
When you run a distro from usb or CD without installing means it loads the files into the ram and the main os itself is read-only on the usb/cd  it uses the hardware and everything from the computer so that's why I asked if it was installed on the same disk as the os because it now sounds like bad sectors on the hdd.
Julian

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Type chkdsk /v
Julian

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
i was gonna ask to read the log to see if you've missed anything but wow all night for a chkdsk via boot that's not normal usually means it got stuck on a bad sector. I think you may have over looked something in the log. if you can get a log posted up I can show you what it's saying i don't listen to windows saying "Windows has checked the file system and found no problems".
Julian

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
dang it needs to be chkdsk /f though just in case a file that's bad is being used because it won't say it's bad if windows is loaded.....
Julian

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I was considering an overheating problem, but given it works fine in Safe Mode and how long MBAM was running for, other problems could have manifest.

However, download the free version of HWMonitor to see what the temps are like.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

The freebie link is down on the left.

EDIT - What about running a chkdsk /f from the Recovery Environment ?

Tap F8 (usually) as you switch on and select Repair your Computer - change/confirm keyboard/currency etc. and navigate to the RE and select Command Prompt.

Enter bcdedit |find "osdevice" and using whichever partition letter, enter chkdsk x: /f where x is the partition letter.

That is the Pipe symbol before find which I usually explain is the uppercase of \

No reboot is required because this is done outside of Windows and it's report will be in the cmd window.

You could also use the green download button to download the trial version of HD Sentinel which will give a written report on the status of your HDD.

http://www.hdsentinel.com/
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 04:29:01 am by Boggin »

Offline Phillip92

• View Profile
Chkdsk once again came back with 0 bad sectors. Running an extended Memory Diagnostic now. Almost complete with no problems detected yet.

Also it does run the same in safe mode. No improvement at all. Now it does run ok with a Live Bootable disk in Linux/Tails which is why I was thinking in was a Windows error. After reinstalling a Clean version of W7 that was not the case.

I checked my fan and overheating stats in Bios and it was fine. Once the memory check comes through I'll try the HWMonitor as I'm running out of ideas. It appears to be a hardware issue but can find the cause.

Would either of you guys suggest taking the case apart and check for damage, loose connections, etc? I haven't done that yet since it appeared to be a software issue at first with all diagnostics coming back ok.

Sorry just saw the previous posts. I'll see if I can find the last log and take a pic. The only thing it stated was an error with the log. Status 50. If not I'll run it again as chkdsk /f.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 12:57:41 pm by Phillip92 »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The status 50 just means that it hasn't created a wininit report in Event Viewer so you don't need to bother with that.

As you have clean installed Win 7 - I assume you haven't installed any other programs yet ?

After the clean install did you need to reinstall any drivers ?

HWMonitor will give the voltages and if you are able to copy a snip of that, it may give a clue.

As it isn't overheating then the PSU could be on its way out or the cables may need reconnecting, but check the pins for cleanliness - you can also do that for the RAM modules.

Offline Phillip92

• View Profile
No I have not installed anything yet.

The only driver issue I had after the install was 802.11. It was trying to install a driver for my wireless network card which went out months ago. So I just disabled it as I have a Belkin WiFi adapter I was using previously. Haven't even connected that after the reinstall.

I'll check the inside of the computer later on today and also run the HWMonitor as well. Keep you updated. I'll try and take pics of results.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The BIOS may have a Hardware Monitor which will also give you the rail voltages, but they will be at idle rates.