Author Topic: Error 43  (Read 17769 times)

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
Error 43
« on: February 29, 2016, 03:59:18 pm »
Hello All, my Acer desktop died but my sanity was saved by being bought a Lenovo laptop with W8.1. I ordered a couple of USB 2.0 Sata 3.5 HDD enclosures to house the two 640 GB HDDs from the tower of the Acer. The enclosures arrived today but the result of connecting them to the laptop results in error 43 and the USB hub in device manager shows a yellow exclamation mark. Upon connecting them to my wife's W7 Acer computer they are recognized and show the contents of the drives. Can anyone offer advice please.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Error 43
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 04:28:02 pm »
It may be they need Win 8.1 compatible drivers/firmware which you could get from their support site.

Are you connecting them both together or just one at a time to get the Error Code 43 ?

With them disconnected, right click on the affected USB hub, select Uninstall then Action/Scan for hardware changes then plug one back in to see if it still produces the error.

If so, repeat the procedure then just plug the other one in to see if that also produces the error.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 04:35:47 pm »
Had to dig out this MS Fixit which you could also try - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/mats/hardware_device_problems

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 04:42:39 pm »
Boggin, I actually pulled that down a little while ago but did not run it.

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 04:52:40 pm »
Boggin, I have just run it. Although the external drive light stays on and device manager does not show a fault the drive does not appear on the MY COMPUTER window. I think I will do a reboot and try again.

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 05:12:46 pm »
Boggin, did a power down and start up but no joy.

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 12:25:50 am »
I've had a similar problem for some time that I've never been able to resolve completely. I've 2 drives in usb enclosures that I use to back up a Lenovo G560 laptop using Casper 8.0 under Windows 7. If I plug in a drive, Casper recognises it and  commences a backup procedure but the drive never sppears in My Computer with drive letters. Also, when the backup id completed I can't safely eject the drive but need to shut down and then disconnect the drives. However, if I enter Computer Management and look for attached drives, Windows can see the physical drives but assigns no letters to the individual sectors. If I right click on the sectors of the drive and assign drive letters, hey presto, they are visible in My Computer.

I also have to say that the backups work faultlessly if I swap the drives into the Lenovo and boot up. But I've spoken at length to Future Systems Developments who developed Casper and despite many helpful suggestions, they've never managed to solve my issue of not being able to easily eject the drives - although the problem developed suddenly after some years without the issue

So it would be interesting to know if your drives are visible in disk msnagement and if they csn be manually assigned letters and subsequently appear as drives in My Computer?
Iain

ThinkPad T450s W10 Pro x64
Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Premium
Macrium Reflect 7 Home, Tweaking WRAIO Pro

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 12:39:15 am »
Looks like S_G has beaten me to that suggestion of going into diskmgmt.msc to see if the are listed and assign them drive letters, but having to do that every time can be a chew.

This article may help with that http://woshub.com/windows-doesnt-assign-letters-to-external-and-usb-flash-drives/

However, in this case it is interesting that it occurs on two Lenovo machines - perhaps this should be taken up with Lenovo, but for a general help article to be published, it may not be specific to just Lenovo.

I use an external HDD to create my system images onto from my laptops and Eject isn't an option when right clicking on them, unlike an USB Flash drive, so once the image has been created you just unplug it.

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 01:25:48 am »
Because Windows does not recognise the external drives which results in code error 43 and Device Manager shows an exclamation mark against the appropriate USB Hub link nothing can be seen in Disk Management area. At 3.00 am today I connected one of the hard drives to my wife's W7 computer and copied across to her 2 TB external drive the contents Videos) then went to bed. I was up at 8.00 am and checked that all the files had copied across ok. My external drive showed up as drive F and drive H. Drive F is actually Drive C when it was in the now defunct Acer tower. Later today I am going to format that drive and use it as an external backup drive for the laptop. Of course this will only be feasible if the error 43 problem gets resolved.

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 03:28:02 am »
Boggin - thanks for that link to http://woshub.com/windows-doesnt-assign-letters-to-external-and-usb-flash-drives/ - that looks very helpful. Never found that in my previous searches. I'll wait until after I've done my next backup and then give it a whirl.

as1953 - sorry I couldn't help.........
Iain

ThinkPad T450s W10 Pro x64
Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Premium
Macrium Reflect 7 Home, Tweaking WRAIO Pro

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 06:27:03 am »
Boggin - thanks for that link to http://woshub.com/windows-doesnt-assign-letters-to-external-and-usb-flash-drives/ - that looks very helpful. Never found that in my previous searches. I'll wait until after I've done my next backup and then give it a whirl.

Let us know if it resolves.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 06:36:28 am »
Because Windows does not recognise the external drives which results in code error 43 and Device Manager shows an exclamation mark against the appropriate USB Hub link nothing can be seen in Disk Management area. At 3.00 am today I connected one of the hard drives to my wife's W7 computer and copied across to her 2 TB external drive the contents Videos) then went to bed. I was up at 8.00 am and checked that all the files had copied across ok. My external drive showed up as drive F and drive H. Drive F is actually Drive C when it was in the now defunct Acer tower. Later today I am going to format that drive and use it as an external backup drive for the laptop. Of course this will only be feasible if the error 43 problem gets resolved.

Running the MS Fixit seemed to get rid of the alert in Device Manager - can you run that again then see if they are listed in diskmgmt.msc

If they are and you can assign them drive letters, see if the fix in that article will work for you.

I would just work with one HDD at a time.

While I'm not that deep into the hardware side of things, I would have thought that having two enclosures plugged in at the same time would have used more than one USB Hub, yet only one is showing an alert.

Failing that and given that S_G has the same problem with another Lenovo, I would suggest you raise this with Lenovo as the machine I assume, is still under warranty.

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 07:34:22 am »
Boggin, both external drives are not plugged in together but only one and after the error 43 it is unplugged and the other drive plugged in. This drive too results in error 43. I only have three usb sockets on the laptop, two being 2.0 and one being 3.0. one 2.0 socket is used for the mouse as I cannot stand the touchpad. I have also tried swapping the external drives with the mouse socket but error 43 still persists. The laptop was bought for me as a surprise gift for my 80th birthday in December and it was bought by by some friends in Australia who ordered through Amazon UK so I have no paperwork/emails etc. to follow up. I did Google the problem before my query here and the error can appertain to other sources as well as mine concerning hard drives being recognized. In my previous query regarding the mouse not being recognized even though it only appeared so twice over a period of three days it has not done so since I unticked the Power Management box to that item. I have also unticked the Power Management box in the usb connection section in Device Manager in case that could have been a problem regarding the external drives but so far no result.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 08:09:57 am »
I think you would only need the model and serial numbers when you use the Technical Support section in http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/landingpage/contact/

This is for the US site but if you are in a different location, then a Google for Lenovo laptop support should give you links for your location.

I have two Toshiba laptops and during the initial set up there is a section to register the machine - not sure if you had to do that with your machine, but if the tech asks for date of purchase, then you will just have to explain the circumstances.

BTW - A belated Happy 80th Birthday :)

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 08:36:16 am »
Boggin, thanks for the birthday memo. I hope to buy a new desktop about April this year. Of course by then it will probably be W10 which at the moment I am keeping clear of on the laptop. I have been contacting a few authors of some of the programs I bought for use on the defunct Acer and so far I have been able to switch the licenses and install them on the laptop. The rest will be for the new computer but some of the programs may not run as they are specified for up to W7 only. It is a good thing I backed up all the Masters of programs onto a usb external HDD which was attached to the defunct Acer. When I attached that drive to the laptop is was recognized as ok.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 09:01:16 am »
It would still be nice to get the Lenovo working though :)

Are you going to contact Lenovo ?

Missed the bit about it being bought through Amazon UK.

Here is the link for Lenovo Support UK - http://www.lenovo.com/contact/uk/en/

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2016, 03:46:16 am »
Boggin, I have just looked in my stock box and found a Seagate Free Agent 500 GB USB HDD and plugged it into the laptop where it was recognized without any problems. I did six safe removal and reconnecting tests which resulted in success each time. The two internal HDDs from the defunct Acer are Western Digital  Sata type and when I initially inserted them bare into a docking station they read ok on the laptop and that is why I bought the two metal enclosures to house them permanently. They are still not be recognized by the laptop but are on my wife's W7 computer so I shall keep them for that. What I want to do with the combined C drive and H Drive on one of them is to format to one partition although for now I have formatted it by Disk Management but it still shows the two partitions.  I remember some 10 years back having a free program which I used on another now defunct computer that had XP on it.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2016, 05:11:41 am »
I believe EaseUS is a popular program for managing partitions, although I have no experience of it.

http://www.partition-tool.com/

It may be worth contacting WD as this problem may have been reported to them before - I seem to remember others having complaints about WD HDDs but can't recall now what they were.

http://support.wdc.com/contact.aspx

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2016, 05:34:12 am »
When I recently bought the Docking Station the specs for it said that although it accommodates both SATA and IDE drives but it could not be used to read Western Digital IDE drives.  The two drives from the defunct Acer are Western Digital SATA drives and are recognised by W7 but not my W8.1 system. I shall Google and focus on this Western Digital situation.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2016, 09:00:54 am »
I'd go straight to the horse's mouth and contact WD direct using the link from my last post.

Re, the partitions - I have two Toshiba Win 7 laptops - the older one has a 250GB HDD and the newer one a 640GB HDD.

Toshiba in their wisdom split these down the middle with C: in one partition and stick 8 or 9GB in the other and that is the Recovery partition - which I think is a waste.

Anyway, on principle rather than need I decided to remove the Recovery partition and merge that with C:

I did this by booting up with a Win 7 install disk and used the Custom install option.

When I was asked which partition I wanted to install it in, I deleted the Recovery partition, merged it then cancelled the install so it now looks like my attachment.

Because it has Win 7 installed, it will always have the small partition - is this what yours has ?

« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 09:02:41 am by Boggin »

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2016, 12:45:56 pm »
The HDD in the enclosure show one partition as Acer F (this is Acer C when it was in the defunct Acer) and the other partition is DATA H.  When this drive is shown in Disk Management it also shows a small area but does not allow me to format it so perhaps it is a hidden part in Acer F.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2016, 02:49:13 pm »
If it's between 100 and 400MB then that will be it.

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2016, 03:58:25 pm »
Since my last entry I have found that any brand of HDD fitted into a bought enclosure is not recognized by W8.1. Saying that, my last attempt was with a Hitachi 1 TB HDD that came from a friend's computer where it was the main SATA internal drive in his computer. I formatted it on my wife's W7 computer and added what I could ( 99 MB) from the small unnamed partition to the main drive partition and finished up naming it as DATA (H). I inserted into a bought enclosure and connected it to my W8.1 laptop. It was recognized but only for a short spell before it automatically switched out. In another attempt it would do a series of switching in and out for about four/five times before finally switching out. I also noticed that when it did stay recognized for a length of time the power light on the enclosure would go out after approx. 8 minutes and the HDD had stopped spinning although it was still reading as DATA (H) on My Computer window. Actually on W8.1 it says This PC. In this state I attempted to copy a file to it which failed as it said target could not be found. I put this down to the drive not spinning up in time. I installed a free program called NoSleepHD which writes a small file to a drive at user defined intervals to prevent driving from spinning down. It only wrote one file (I specified 3 minute intervals) and the drive still spun down. One other which has happened and I do not know why is that where Speccy used to show it as an Hitachi HDD it now shows it named as a Mass Storage Device. All the enclosured drives work perfectly attached to my wife's W7 computer.  I have gone Googly eyed looking for the answer to this error 43 problem but to no avail.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2016, 04:08:24 pm »
The info that you found regarding this not working on a Win 8.1 machine - did it say why ?

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2016, 04:26:45 pm »
Various forums gave advice but nothing worked. What else happened was that although I do not have any Bluetooth devices connected Device Manager showed the Bluetooth Adapter as having been closed down due to error 43 so I just uninstalled it and did a reboot which rectified the fault.