Author Topic: Laptop gets stuck at Starting Windows sign (Win7)  (Read 15926 times)

Offline Jadax

• View Profile
Laptop gets stuck at Starting Windows sign (Win7)
« on: March 02, 2016, 06:52:07 am »
Hi guys, one of my laptops has recently started acting up.

Laptop: Dell 15R

- When I boot it, it takes me to 'Start in Safe Mode' selection screen
- When I select Safe Mode it loads some files and then just brings me back to the same selection screen. No matter how many times I select Safe Mode it keeps coming back.
- If I select Start Normally, loading gets stuck on the Starting Windows logo screen.

- If I leave my laptop on for a while (with the startup logo running), I get a BSOD with the following msg: bad system config info

Some things to note:

- My battery may have run it's course, I have to keep the charger plugged in at all times (also, I booted my laptop without battery, just charger connected and same issue).

Can anyone recommend what I do, what the issue may be?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 07:26:26 am by Jadax »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop gets stuck at Starting Windows sign (Win7)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 09:38:43 am »
Boot up into the advanced boot options usually by tapping F8 as you switch on, but this key can vary with computer models and select Last Known Good Configuration and press enter.

If that doesn't do it then boot back up into the advanced boot options and select Repair your Computer and navigate to the Windows Recovery Environment (WRE) and select Startup Repair.

If this at first reports that it is unable to auto repair, then run it up to two more times.

If that still fails on the restart then again in the WRE select Command Prompt and enter -

bcdedit |find "osdevice"

chksdk x: /f

Where x is the partition letter it finds the OS on, as it may not always be C.

For clarity, that is a Pipe symbol before find and is the upper case of \

When you run a chkdsk /f from the x: prompt, a reboot isn't required and it will give its report in the window - disregard error 50.

Enter exit to close the command window when done and restart then let us know what it reported, especially in relation to any KBs in bad sectors.

Offline Jadax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 11:08:04 am »
Boot up into the advanced boot options usually by tapping F8 as you switch on, but this key can vary with computer models and select Last Known Good Configuration and press enter.

Gets stuck at the Starting Windows logo.

If that doesn't do it then boot back up into the advanced boot options and select Repair your Computer and navigate to the Windows Recovery Environment (WRE) and select Startup Repair.

Here I'm a little confused - when I select Repair your Computer in advanced boot it loads the files, but then it takes me to the Windows Error Recovery screen (2x options, launch startup repair, or start windows normally).

So since I can't even load WRE what does that mean? What are my options now.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 02:38:31 pm »
You should have more options than that - what happens when you launch startup repair ?

If you can get access to another Win 7 machine of the same architecture as yours - i.e. 32 or 64 bit then you can create a system repair disk and boot up with that which will get you to the WRE.

You can also use an install disk to boot up with, but that would be slightly different in that you would eventually be presented with a splash screen where you would select Repair your Computer.

You would tap F12 as you switch on, select CD/DVD or ODD, insert the disk and press enter.

Press any key to boot from CD/DVD when prompted and you may be presented with an inverse window with Windows Setup [EMS Enabled] highlighted - just press enter.

Change/confirm the language for keyboard input method - Next - and then it should look for your OS location to repair - Next

You should then be in the WRE with the options of -

Startup Repair

System Restore

System Image Recovery - where you would use a system image created on external media.

Windows Memory Diagnostic

Command Prompt

HDD Recovery - which is a factory reset, but that option may differ with Dell.

Offline Jadax

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 09:36:55 pm »
You should have more options than that - what happens when you launch startup repair ?

Loads some windows files (the loading bar at the bottom of the screen) and then comes back to the windows error recovery screen.

I'll try to get a recovery dvd from somewhere. Is there no way to make a recovery usb without having to first create the recovery dvd? I'm asking because I'm travelling currently (and will be for a while) and don't have access to a dvd-rw or empty dvds.

(If there is any way to download the recovery programme, copy it onto my usb so that I can just stick it in and do it that way)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 01:52:15 am »
At one time you could download a Win 7 SP1 ISO and create a bootable install disk/USB from Digital River, but MS has had those pulled.

As far as I know, the only way you can now download the ISO is from MS but you need a valid retail product key - the COA sticker key on an OEM machine is not valid.

As an alternative to the system repair disk which as far as I know can only be created on a Win 7 machine, is an Emergency Repair Disk ISO that can be downloaded, but you need to be a member of a particular club to download the package that contains it.

http://calmit.org/download-erd-commander-vista-windows-7/

However, a Paragon Rescue Disk may do it for you which can repair the boot sector. - https://www.paragon-software.com/home/rk-free/

From the menu, use the Safe Mode Boot option as I've found that I can only get the repair menu on one of my Win 7 laptops while in that mode, whereas it works fine when I leave it to boot in the default normal mode on the other machine.

Before opting for using an USB, ensure your machine can boot from an USB first as some older Win 7 machines only have the option to boot from CD/DVD before the HDD.

You can check that by tapping F12 as you switch on to see if USB is an option.

If you hadn't been traveling, I could have sent you a couple of Win 7 SP1 bootable disks which you could have booted up with to access the WRE.

Offline Jadax

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 03:16:00 am »
However, a Paragon Rescue Disk may do it for you which can repair the boot sector. - https://www.paragon-software.com/home/rk-free/

From the menu, use the Safe Mode Boot option as I've found that I can only get the repair menu on one of my Win 7 laptops while in that mode, whereas it works fine when I leave it to boot in the default normal mode on the other machine.
Did this, loaded fine into the Paragon Rescue kit on the laptop, carried out the boot correction function. Checked around, can see my old hdd (Recovery C:, DATAPART1 D:, OS E:, CD Drive F: and the usb I plugged in PARAGON G:) - this means the hdd is still working correct?

Then shutdown, took out the usb and rebooted.
Still takes me to Windows Error Recovery (clicking on Startup Repair option loads some files and then takes me back to WER screen). So I clicked Normal Start, and once again it hangs on the Starting Windows logo (by hang I don't mean it gets stuck stuck, I mean the logo still moves/vibrates but it doesn't get past this phase).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 03:21:47 am by Jadax »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 03:27:24 am »
There would appear to still be something wrong on the HDD.

Did you run the first 4 options in the Boot Corrector section ?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 03:47:07 am »
If running those stills fail to resolve, there is another utility you can download and that is Hiren's Boot Disk.

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

http://www.techfleece.com/2013/07/10/how-to-boot-to-hirens-boot-cd-from-usb/

This has a lot more tools on it and as well as repairing the MBR, it also has Test Disk which should be able to give you more info on your HDD but I have no experience of using this boot disk.

Offline Jadax

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 04:00:49 am »
Did you run the first 4 options in the Boot Corrector section ?
Actually only Windows install to correct, Correct MBR and Correct boot parameters. I'm not sure how to run the fix sectors part.

Btw I just ran the System Assessment tests (seems like I was being too optimistic), and I got fails for the following:

- PRIMARY_BATTERY_BAY (3600:0852)
- DISK - HDD error (0F00:133E)
- DISK - HDD error (0F00:063E)
- DISK - HDD error (0F00:123E)
- DISK - No suitable disk media present (0F00:133C)

If running those stills fail to resolve, there is another utility you can download and that is Hiren's Boot Disk.
If you think I should still give this a try after the diagnostic test results above, then I will.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 04:04:59 am »
Give me a couple of mins while I check out those errors.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 04:19:48 am »
From the couple I've checked so far, they would seem to point to a failing HDD.

Try the Hiren's Boot Disk Test Disk feature for confirmation, but I think that contacting Dell Support will confirm.

You can Google for their support page from your location as they have different locale support sites

Offline Jadax

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 04:32:16 am »
From the couple I've checked so far, they would seem to point to a failing HDD.

Try the Hiren's Boot Disk Test Disk feature for confirmation, but I think that contacting Dell Support will confirm.
Thank you, will do. Appreciate the help.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 04:34:46 am »
Give us an update when you can.

Offline Jadax

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 11:51:38 am »
I ran chkdsk, no problems, there were some errors but passed everything without a problem.

Then I ran Victoria 4.46b (HDD info/test programme) and got 6 warnings and 4 errors:

- Warning! Block start at 26913024 - 234ms
- Block 96378624 Error: ABRT
- Block 96384000 Error: ABRT
- Block 129252864 Error: ABRT
- Block 129263616 Error: ABRT
- Warning! Block start at 129265152 = 219ms
- Warning! Block start at 129266944 = 234ms
- Warning! Block start at 129274368 = 235ms
- Warning! Block start at 129282816 = 219ms

I'm going to google around a bit and see what this mean and how (if) I can fix it. If you know, do let me know.

I then ran Defraggler and everything was fine except the following:

Reallocated Sectors Count - Real Value (561) - Current (129) - Worst (129) - Threshold (140) - Raw Value (0x000000000231)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 12:04:20 pm by Jadax »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2016, 01:28:38 pm »
How did you manage to run a chkdsk if it won't boot up to anything ?

Offline Jadax

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2016, 09:11:35 pm »
How did you manage to run a chkdsk if it won't boot up to anything ?

Well I ran chkdsk via Hirens BootCD (ran it on the 3 partitions of that laptop). Unless I'm misunderstanding something, I believe the chkdsk was checking that laptop's hdd.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2016, 02:28:10 am »
I wasn't sure if you had created that disk.

Did the chkdsk report any KBs in bad sectors ?

Google had nothing on those bad block errors but I would think they are the reason for your problem - Google has more info on the 0F00 errors with the 133C being the most telling.

BTW - What are you using to download and post on ?

Offline Jadax

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2016, 02:32:56 am »
Did the chkdsk report any KBs in bad sectors ?
Nope. At this point I think it's just my hdd is failing/failed and needs a replacement.

BTW - What are you using to download and post on ?
My main current laptop. The one I'm trying to fix broke down last year and I never really bothered since it's quite low spec, but now was wondering if I could get it fixed rather than throw it all away. I had a warranty on it back then, but now the warranty's expired so that doesn't leave me with many options.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2016, 02:40:31 am »
Perhaps it would have been better to get it fixed while it was under warranty.

Providing you can image it and the system files aren't damaged, then you should be able to load that onto a new HDD.

Alternatively, you can buy a set of recovery disks from the computer vendor to factory reset it after replacing the HDD and given the laptop's age, it would still be a viable cost effective repair.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 02:48:40 am by Boggin »

Offline scarsxp

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2016, 04:47:16 am »
Yeah, I would definitely back up data as your main priority. Hook it up as a secondary hard drive with another computer and get as much important data as you can. Second I would clone it to a new hard drive, then only after that you then can start testing it (Depending on how much space you have, you may want to manually back up files and save the cloning for later). You do not want to stress out the hard drive anymore by running these tests before backing up data. Backing up data is always your first priority.

Then after that I would run
HD regenerator 2011 off of Hiren's boot CD. And you can do a full sector scan (DO NOT USE REPAIR MODE!). If it has a lot of bad sectors, then I wouldn't trust the hard drive anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UM_DflBgJI

Then I would run the diagnostics off from the hard drive manufacturer.  If it fails the SMART test. Then I would not trust it.

Also, what is the history on your laptop? Did you get any blue screens before this started happening? Especially ones that relate to hard drive problems.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 04:58:35 am by scarsxp »