Author Topic: Win 10 Unecpected Kernal Mode Trap  (Read 8986 times)

Offline brubet665

• View Profile
Win 10 Unecpected Kernal Mode Trap
« on: March 14, 2016, 09:07:04 am »
I have Windows Repair Pro (55791-1) and I think I ran it completely, but I'm not a techie. I still keep getting "Unexpected Kernal Mode Trap" blue screen of death, and an occasional "Kmode Exception Not Handled" BSOD.  Microsoft's help does not exist - what they do have is waaaay too technicle for me - I don't even understand the jargon terms and abbreviations they use.  BTW, Prescan OK, Package files OK, Reparse points OK, Environment Variables OK, Windows Defender OK, Check Disc No Errors, and SFC /scannow was OK.  I don't know what to do next, but buying the pro version of Windows Repair Pro hasn't helped me solve the problem

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Win 10 Unecpected Kernal Mode Trap
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 07:07:35 pm »
If you are getting blue screens then I would use a program called WhoCrashed and see if it can tell you what file is causing it.

Sometimes it is a bad hard driver, sometimes bad memory and other times it is a bad driver.

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 02:54:31 am »
What Stop Error Codes are you getting when the machine BSODs ?

Have you recently installed any software or hardware prior to these BSODs

In Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices are there any yellow alerts, red crosses of Unknown Devices and which version of Windows are you using ?

If you are using a desktop machine, you can remove various modules and gently clean their contacts with an ink eraser, but when handling RAM modules, only handle the cards by their edges and while out of the machine, lay on a clean non-conductive surface.

MemTest86+ is a program you can use to test your memory http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/246994-guide-to-using-memtest86/ but as a quick test, if you have more than one RAM module fitted, see if you continue to get the BSODs with just either module installed.

Offline brubet665

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 04:52:18 am »
I'm not seeing any error codes - only the message about the Kmode Exception.  Also, in Device Manager there are no yellow fail indicators.  Like I said in my first post, all of the "Tweaking.com" test show passed or OK.  And, also like I said, I'm not a techie so am not sure about the suggested eraser thing with modules (what ever that means).  Shane suggested using a software program and I'm still trying to download that, but ran into a problem when I tried earlier - must try again now.  Anyway, thanks for the suggestions - just wish it wasn't so complicated - like I said, I'd hoped it would have been addressed by buying the full version of Tweaking, but it wasn't.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 08:03:13 am »
Tweaking.com repairs Windows system files and cannot resolve problems caused by hardware or drivers.

If you are having problems with WhoCrashed then try BlueScreenView which is what I prefer.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

When you get a BSOD you normally get a Stop Error Code as displayed in the BlueScreenView article.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 08:05:30 am by Boggin »

Offline brubet665

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 08:37:24 am »
Boggin, thanks for your reply - guess I'm one of those dummies who fell for the "...a tool designed [to] help fix a large majority of known Windows problems..." That it cannot fix the Kmode Exception problem beats me.  Another guess, maybe I'm supposed to know that a hardware or driver issue caused the exception problem.  Still, I wonder why Tweaking didn't fix the problem of Windows not updating to version 1511, 10586, which I've tried doing maybe two dozen times!!!  It always quits at 32% of the preparing to install step.  So, even if it wasn't designed to fix hardware or driver issues, it doesn't fix Windows update either.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 08:51:28 am »
If you have a driver problem then that could be causing the Win 10 update to baulk, but see what BlueScreenView makes of your BSODs.

You haven't said if you had made any changes such as installing any programs prior to the BSODs.

Offline brubet665

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 09:52:04 am »
I've run both WhoCrashed and BlueScreenView.  Of course, neither found "dump" files because my systems wasn't setup to allow writing them.  I followed WhoCrashed directions and changed my computer settings - then I had WhoCrashed cause a manual crash dump.  It was successful in that a crash dump file was properly written.  Then, I checked every device in Device Manager and clicked on their "Update Driver" item to search my computer and the internet  only to get the response that, "The best driver software for your device is already installed" message.  To my knowledge I have not made any changes except updating certain programs like my HP printer and CCleaner and SuperAntiSpyware.  Programs I regularly use haven't changed like, WindowsLiveMail and Libre Office Writer and Calc. My take at this point is that I just have to wait and see if I get another BSoD - at that time I can check again with WhoCrashed and BlueScreenView. Time will tell.  Cheers.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 10:02:52 am »
It's very rare that the Windows check for driver updates finds anything newer as it just tends to have the same or older.

As you run CCleaner, ensure that the Memory Dumps box is unchecked before you run it, otherwise you'll clean any out or just don't run it.

Do you know what you were doing immediately prior to any of the BSODs ?