Author Topic: [Solved] Win7 Windows Update still broken after repairs  (Read 5364 times)

Offline CogburnRoo

• View Profile
[Solved] Win7 Windows Update still broken after repairs
« on: March 20, 2016, 08:38:01 am »
Hi,
I'm a new user to your tool and seem to understand what I needed to do.
Running Win 7 Home Prem SP1.
For the life of me I can't get windows update to get corrected and run. It all started earlier in the week when Windows update would get stuck at various points checking for updates. I wasn't getting failures it just would hang. I've tried your tool numerous times and it still doesn't seem to work and I have attached the lastlog. I have IT experience but am not all that savvy in the windows world but I suspect I am going to be schooled..good thing!
I have attached a log of the last run.
Before I purchased the tweaking tool and techtools (which I haven't received yet) I tried some steps from a YouTube vid at https://youtu.be/kH3jJ1tpCDg  to no avail.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
John
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 10:42:50 am by CogburnRoo, Reason: Solved »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Win7 Windows Update still broken after repairs
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 10:06:49 am »
Check for updates hanging in Win 7 has been a common complaint of late and the problem may be on MS's end.

Some have found that having their update settings set to auto and let them come themselves has been the easiest solution, whereas I've seen someone post that prior to running the Check for updates was to go to Installed Updates first and then they didn't have to wait so long before it found them.

Did you run the Pre-Scan in Step 2 to see if there were any errors reported with any of the files ?

If those services aren't starting however, then you could have other problems.

Run the program again in Safe Mode to see if you get the same report.

If you do then go Start - type cmd - right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC and enter sfc /scannow

If that reports it is unable to repair some files, then run SFCFix.exe which will produce a more concise report which you can copy & paste.

https://www.sysnative.com/niemiro/apps/SFCFix.exe

If the sfc /scannow reports no violations then go Start - type services.msc and press enter.

Scroll down to Background Intelligent Services - click on it and then on Start in the upper left pane to see if it will start then go onto do the same for Windows Module Installer.

The default setting for those two should show as Manual.

The Windows Update service should be showing as Started and Automatic (Delayed) although you can click on it then on Restart in the upper left pane.

Let us know if you have any problems with those.

Offline CogburnRoo

• View Profile
Re: [Solved] Win7 Windows Update still broken after repairs
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 10:44:35 am »
Thanks.
I had done all the pre steps before figuring there was probably a lot that may be out of whack. Anyway it seems after one more reboot it did work, it just took quite a long time. Thanks for your help.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: [Solved] Win7 Windows Update still broken after repairs
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 11:16:15 am »
Good to see that you were able to resolve it.