Author Topic: Total Frustration!  (Read 17693 times)

Offline [email protected]

• View Profile
Total Frustration!
« on: April 19, 2016, 02:15:41 am »
 :sad:

Dell Octiplex 745 Windows 10 build 1040
Windows Update: 2 days to download; Install always fails.
Upd. on USB with Media Creation tool: stops, demands boot from HD. After reboot: setup will not respond.
Can not find a Restore Point earlier than March, can not get behind the problem.
Always fail:
SFC & DISM: in cmd window, as Admin, Power Shell & Windows Repair; in Safe Mode.
Reset
All the options I can find.

More: 1TB external inaccessible. Attempted driver update looped and locked up.
Firefox updated to 45, quit, removed. Will not reinstall: extracts and quits. Earlier versions also fail to install. Only one that works is on the external.
Google Chrome Update will not install.

Extra: tried to use DISM with files from original distro on USB. Failed. Tried recovery and reset with org. distro. failed.  Overwrote org. distro. with Recovery Disk. Recovery Disk failed. 

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Total Frustration!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 02:41:49 am »
See how you get on using the Upgrade now button in https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-upgrade

Using this will remove the ability to roll back should you still be in the 30 days since upgrading.

Which antivirus program are you using ?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 02:51:52 am by Boggin »

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 03:59:24 am »
See how you get on using the Upgrade now button in https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-upgrade

Using this will remove the ability to roll back should you still be in the 30 days since upgrading.

Which antivirus program are you using ?

Windows 10 is installed and failing to install updates. I already upgraded from 7 and can not revert to it.

Advanced System Care 9, Malware Fighter, Malware Bytes and Immunet3 all shut down; makes no difference.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 08:08:51 am »
What did these cmds report -

dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

As you have the Win 10 ISO on an USB stick, you can try a Repair Install.

https://neosmart.net/wiki/windows-10-repair-installation/

You have a program installed that has caused irreparable problems for some and that is ASC when they have allowed it to clean the registry without vetting any of the items it would clean.

Fortunately if it isn't too late, then the restore facility it has can get you out of the mire.

Can you go back as far as possible with those registry back ups to see if your updates etc. will work then.

Another cause for your problems could be an infection.

If you can boot up into Safe Mode with Networking, download/run the ESET Free Online Scanner.

If you are on WiFi and cannot get a connection in that mode, then Ethernet connect.

http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/

This is best downloaded using IE.

Check the boxes for PuPs and PuMs then click on Advanced and check those boxes, although you shouldn't need to bother with Archives or Proxies.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 02:30:46 pm »
No hope in Hell. Malwarebytes returns clean. Likewise Immunet.
Oldest available registry backup: March 7: did no good. Only April available in Tweaking.

Setup will not run!!! Elevated to admin., nothing happens after granting permission.

* dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth
          o Image version: 10.0.10240.16384
          o The component store cannoty be repaired.
          o The operation completed successfully.
    * dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup
          o Error: 193
          o %1 is not a valid Win32 application.
          o The DISM Log  file can be found at CL\windows\log
    * dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
          o Error: 193
          o %1 is not a valid win32 application.
    * sfc /scannow
          o Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 03:27:24 pm »
The /checkhealth report says it all - the volume cannot be repaired and you will need to reinstall.

This will be the reason why the Reset failed, because the back up in the component store is also corrupt.

You can either try the Upgrade now button in my earlier link or follow the steps in the later one to perform a repair install.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 03:40:29 pm »
In the attempt to make updates work, I had configured a clean boot. I returned to msconfig and selected normal boot. Subsequently setup.exe  started, quit and went home.

The Recovery Stick will not work 'cuz it does not recognize the mouse and keyboard(USB only; no ps2 ports).

I rebooted, shut down ASC & Immunet and tried again, with the same result except that setup quit at an earlier stage that time.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 04:03:14 pm »
I was under the assumption that you had created a bootable Win 10 USB - this will be different from a recovery stick.

Try the Upgrade now, or you can create bootable media by scrolling down this article and then use that to perform a repair install.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 07:29:39 pm »
With a normal boot, the Update ISO started and quit without installing. I can not use the recovery stick 'cuz it does not recognize my keyboard and mouse: impossible to select anything. (20 year old CRT)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 12:57:24 am »
Do you have anything other than the keyboard and mouse plugged that you can remove ?

Try the Upgrade now button in Safe Mode with Networking and if that also fails, open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter chkdsk /f

I'm interested to see if it reports any KBs in bad sectors.

If there are bad sectors then the chkdsk /f may not complete - in which case, enter chkdsk /r

You can view the chkdsk report in Event Viewer by expanding Windows Logs - click on the name Application - Action/Find and enter chkdsk or wininit into the Find box.

Cancel the Find box to read the report in the scrollable window.

Something must have caused this massive corruption if it isn't an infection, but I would have preferred it if you had also run the ESET Free Online Scanner.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 02:47:06 am »
1TB external HD is not accessible for some unknown reason. Last time it came up, there was a demand to format it.  Makes no difference to update if it is connected or disconnected.

Recent chkdsk found no errors. Taking a long time on the 260G.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 06:06:14 am »
A chkdsk /f on my Win 7 640GB HDD doesn't take that much time at all.

Let's have another go with a sfc /scannow

If it still reports it is unable to start the service, enter -

sc config trustedinstaller start=auto

net start trustedintaller

to see if they report as successful and then retry the sfc /scannow cmd.

If it reports it is unable to repair some files. then run SFCFix.exe which will give a much more concise report, but I think the only alternative now will be a clean install.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/sfcfix.html

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

If you are unable to create bootable Win 10 ISO media with the MCT on your machine then you'll need prevail perhaps upon a friend if no other machine is available.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 10:22:59 am »
If you are stuck for creating bootable Win 10 media, I've used the MCT to download a Win 10 x64 ISO with the box unchecked to match my Windows version so that the download would be good for Home or Pro.

If you require the 32 bit then I can download that as well, so if you want, I can burn and send you a couple of disks.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 03:19:04 pm »

SFCFIX reported "No corruption."
SFC will not start!
14295 iso will not install!!! Always fails, quits and goes home.

If it reports it is unable to repair some files. then run SFCFix.exe which will give a much more concise report, but I think the only alternative now will be a clean install.

If you are unable to create bootable Win 10 ISO media with the MCT on your machine then you'll need prevail perhaps upon a friend if no other machine is available.

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2016, 03:22:17 pm »

SFC will not start!

If you are stuck for creating bootable Win 10 media, I've used the MCT to download a Win 10 x64 ISO with the box unchecked to match my Windows version so that the download would be good for Home or Pro.

If you require the 32 bit then I can download that as well, so if you want, I can burn and send you a couple of disks.

three different updates: one burned to hd, one to external, one to usb, one to DVD. None of them can install. It takes  7 hours to download.

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2016, 03:26:36 pm »

SFC will not start!

three different updates: one burned to hd, one to external, one to usb, one to DVD. None of them can install. It takes  7 hours to download.
Do you have anything other than the keyboard and mouse plugged that you can remove ?

Try the Upgrade now button in Safe Mode with Networking and if that also fails, open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter chkdsk /f

I'm interested to see if it reports any KBs in bad sectors.

If there are bad sectors then the chkdsk /f may not complete - in which case, enter chkdsk /r

You can view the chkdsk report in Event Viewer by expanding Windows Logs - click on the name Application - Action/Find and enter chkdsk or wininit into the Find box.

Cancel the Find box to read the report in the scrollable window.

Something must have caused this massive corruption if it isn't an infection, but I would have preferred it if you had also run the ESET Free Online Scanner.
chkdsk returned NO Errors.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 12:35:06 am »
SFCFix.exe requires a recent CBS log generated by a sfc /scannow to examine.

If you are unable to run a sfc /scannow then it must be an earlier CBS log that it is looking at.

Did you try those two commands to see if that gets sfc /scannow to work ?

Did you create an external system image before upgrading to Win 10 ?

Are you able to boot up with the Win 10 media to perform a clean install ?

Does Event Viewer record anything for these fails ?

And have you ran ESET Free Online Scanner in Safe Mode with Networking yet ?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 12:58:50 am by Boggin »

Offline Ben

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 05:26:46 am »
No backup of 7. Original 10 distro was useless when the crap hit the fan. Booted but would do nothing.  I overwrote it with a rescue disk which is useless 'cuz it does not recognize the mouse and keyboard.

Unable to find that free scanner you mentioned. Only saw big price tags.
None of the update isos will install. All quit and go home.

At this stage, tweaking.com windows fix quit working. ASC also quit, but I got it working again.
I had tried selective startup. Msconfig will not get out of it no matter what I do; always reverts from normal to selective.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2016, 06:46:40 am »
It sounds like it's completely screwed.

Hit the Scan now button in http://www.eset.co.uk/Antivirus-Utilities/Online-Scanner - check the relevant boxes as previously described and see if that reports anything.

To get out of Safe Mode, open Command Prompt (Admin) and enter -

bcdedit /deletevalue {default} safeboot

exit

Then reboot.

The cmd shutdown /r /t 00 instead of exit will also close the cmd window and effect an immediate reboot.

I think it could be time to go back to Win 7 if ESET comes up clean and redo the upgrade to Win 10 if you still want it.

You would need to back up your personal stuff first though and all 3rd party programs will need to be reinstalled, so you should have the product keys for any paid for programs.

I can supply you with a couple of Win 7 SP1 bootable install disks (one spare) with which you should be able to perform a clean install - just need to know if you are using 32 or 64bit and you can PM me your address.

This article has steps with which to activate it with your COA sticker key - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/can-oem-product-key-be-used-to-re-install-windows/2669057f-28d6-455c-bc44-e0e68c2e3b33?auth=1

As in that article, don't check or uncheck anything to do with activation then you could also go Start - type Slui 3 - press enter and enter your COA sticker key then follow the prompt and wait for it to accept the key.

Can you actually boot up the machine with a bootable disk ?

Offline Ben

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2016, 01:28:12 am »
I learned on another forum that the installer iso is dependent on DISM. If it is not working, installation fails.
The recovery stick includes recovery.wip, which indicates that DISM failure undermines it, too.

There are indications that corrupted files in C:\Windos\system32\downlevel  may be at the root of the problem.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2016, 01:44:41 am »
Were you able to get sfc /scannow to work after executing those cmds I'd posted ?

When /checkhealth reports the OS as broken, you then have to reinstall but as reinstalling Win 10 isn't an option just yet, I still think your best bet is to reinstall Win 7 and then redo the upgrade.

Dism in Win 7 isn't a major feature so shouldn't be a problem when upgrading back to Win 10.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2016, 02:19:52 am »
I've been looking at that \downlevel and it seems to be related to API-MS-Win-core-file-I2-1-1.dll

From a Command Prompt (Admin) see if unregistering/reregistering it will do anything for you with these cmds -

regsvr32 /u API-MS-Win-core-file-I2-1-1.dll

then redo the cmd changing /u to /I

Close the cmd window and reboot with this cmd -

shutdown /r /t 00

EDIT - BTW - Were you able to run the ESET Free Online Scanner and what did it report ?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 03:20:00 am by Boggin »