Author Topic: why two speeds shown confusing the actual speed of broadband  (Read 7816 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, Normally my service provider provide 2mb speed upto one gb browsing, come to nearly 203 kb for second. being the second day of the month, this limit has not been reached. when i test the speed with the service provider link, it shows the speed i mentioned above.
                          But , when i check the speed status of the network,it shows only 54kb per second in the system tray in wireless network connection icon, the packets show in less numbers. i am browsing now thro the wireless connection thro laptop.why, when i check with the same status, in my desktop computer ,is showing good number of packets in,ethernet connection in  and out,but not the same in my xp laptop i having wireless connection. i will enclose the speed in my next post.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Re: why two speeds shown confusing the actual speed of broadband
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 08:28:47 pm »
hi,
            the enclousres

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 09:19:22 pm »
That's your nic network interface card so it means the max you can handle on your nic is 54 Mbps so that's file transfer on your network. network communication and internet. Now your isp provides 2mbps but that does not mean you will reach those speeds that's just the allocated bandwidth your isp is providing you.
Julian

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 09:54:49 pm »
hi, nice answer. but the speed of download is near up to 203 kb upto one gb in my computer. My question is why the same speed is not shown in laptop. do you mean to say that the wireless card attached to laptop is having limitations for downloads, or some other reason is behind the cause.
                          Moreover, how to know the capabilities of the wirelessnet that i have in my laptop. i have a combo modem thro which i connect the internet to the laptop thro wireless.   \

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 01:24:33 am »
As Julian has said, the 54Mbps is the rate at which data will transfer between computers or over the network.

In older machines the NIC may only be g instead of the n of later more standard machines, but we now also have ac which is much faster.

However, both the router and computers must have ac adapters, although they are backward compatible with b/g/n.

The other thing is that ac routers broadcast on the 5GHz band which ac requires, but the downside of that is that the wireless range of 5GHz is less than that of 2.4GHz.

2.4GHz will travel through walls whereas 5GHz bounces off them in what is known as the splatter effect - but I digress :)

The wireless NICs in my laptops are n and are capable of up to 300Mbps but because older laptops only had a mini NIC, that would be reduced to 150Mbps.

Desktop PCs have a full card in them so they will be able to achieve the 300Mbps.

For LAN, this can either be up to 100Mbps where the LAN adapter is a Family Controller (10/100), but when the computer has a GBE LAN adapter (10/100/1000) and the router has a Gigabit port, then that data transfer speed will be up to 1GB.

However, when transferring data between a machine with a n NIC onto a machine with a g NIC (or vice versa), the transfer speed will be restricted to the lowest which in this case will be the 54Mbps - this can be reduced further depending on the distance between machines and router and is why data transfer would probably best be done when the computers are wired.

My broadband download speed is approx. 6.7meg, so you can see there is no correlation between that and the data transfer speed.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 04:32:17 am »
Hi, boggins pl see the packets in desktop pc

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 04:42:56 am »
They never tally - here have a look at mine -