Author Topic: Keeps pausing during Restore Win Default File Permissions  (Read 6647 times)

Offline garybarr

• View Profile
Keeps pausing during Restore Win Default File Permissions
« on: May 31, 2016, 03:48:43 pm »
I've been having an odd problem, on some systems, I have to keep hitting ENTER for the script to continue running. 

It's happens the most during the window "Administrator: Restore Windows 7/8/10 Default File Permissions"

It'll complete the single task at hand and will show 100%, but the script just sits there forever, until I press ENTER.  Then it'll do the next task and then wait for me to press enter.  It doesn't ask me to, I just accidentally hit ENTER when it was just sitting there for hours, and it took off...  So now, I have to babysit it and keep pressing ENTER.  It doesn't always happen, just on the random PC.

Any ideas?

I do have the paid and most updated version.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Keeps pausing during Restore Win Default File Permissions
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 02:36:09 pm »
What kind of processor do you have?
Julian

Offline garybarr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 03:02:26 pm »
It's on multiple PC's... It's been a spread of a number of different types of computers...  But all coming back from a bad malware attack.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 03:44:05 pm »
It probably would have been best if you had given all of the details in the original post.

Are all of the machines clear of infection now and how were they cleaned ?

Run WR again on them and when one hesitates, check to see if Event Viewer has anything recorded.

Also check Task Manager to see if the CPU is maxed.

If it is then click on Processes/Show all processes - when it has refreshed, click the name Memory in that column and that will put the highest user to the top.

It could be the service host, but whatever it is, right click on it then select Go to services which will highlight what is eating up the CPU.

Offline garybarr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 03:53:29 pm »
Sorry, I said I was having a problem on some systems... I should have been more clear, that it was a problem on multiple computers...

Nope, nothing remarkable recorded, I had already checked that.  And the CPU usage is almost 0%.  It's not that it's stuck, it finishes a task and will just sit there and wait until I press enter and then the script will continue and run the next task.  It doesn't always happen, but from time to time, it does.  And yes, the PC's are clear of malware software running, but what damages it caused in the windows files, I'm not sure.  That's why I'm using the software, to fix what it broke.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 04:13:34 pm »
On the Win 7 machine(s) run a command prompt as an admin by going Start - type cmd - right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC and enter sfc /scannow to see what that reports.

If it reports it is unable to repair some files then run SFCFix.exe from http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/sfcfix.html which will produce a more concise report of any corruption and may even fix what the sfc was unable to.

For the Win 8 and 10 machines, open Command Prompt (Admin) and enter -

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

This can appear to hang at 20% but will complete, then follow that with a sfc /scannow to see if any corruption remains.

http://www.howtogeek.com/194041/how-to-open-the-command-prompt-as-administrator-in-windows-8.1/