Author Topic: new tweaking version will not download  (Read 9866 times)

Offline inletwolf

• View Profile
new tweaking version will not download
« on: June 01, 2016, 03:00:09 pm »
hello
i am new to posting in forums so please overlook any mistakes i might make.
i have tried to download the new version, with cookies enabled, from both sites and am now in safemode, but it will not download. should i continue with repair?
my pc is so messed up, i really do not even know where to start.
jean

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: new tweaking version will not download
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 03:28:34 pm »
Can you see if you can download AdwCleaner and run that.

This is a safe program to download just to see if you can download anything else.

https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/

When the scan has completed it may list programs in the lower pane that it considers adware - just uncheck the boxes of any you want to keep.

If it reports it hasn't found anything then click on the Uninstall button, otherwise click on Report log which will open in Notepad to show what it has found and will remove when you close the report and click on Cleaning.

One thing that will stop downloads is Windows Firewall which is active in normal mode if using an antivirus program that doesn't have its own firewall and will be activated in Safe Mode where an active 3rd party antivirus program will be isolated.

BTW - Which version of Windows are you using as running a command prompt with admin privileges varies with version.

If you can fathom how to run a command prompt in that mode then enter chkdsk /f

In Win 7 you go Start - type cmd then right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC and enter that command.

You will be prompted to type and enter y for it to execute the next time you reboot.

Then enter this command to effect an immediate reboot - shutdown /r /t 00

The output will stay on the screen long enough to see if it has found any problems with the files, but also look near the bottom of the report to see if it reports any KBs in bad sectors.

If you miss it then go Start - type eventvwr and press enter.

When Event Viewer has read the data expand Windows Logs - click on the name Applications - Action - Find then type chkdsk or wininit into the Find box and press enter.

Cancel the Find box then read the report in the scrollable window.

Offline inletwolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 03:35:05 pm »
yes i tried to run a ckdsk in cmd w/ admin but it says that it cannot run. i cannot do a system restore either.says that an xp.dll is missing. i am sorry but i did not write down what exact file is missing. so i was trying to fix the problem w/ tweaking tool. it found a bunch of errors and fixed them so i restarted in safe mode to run the repair tool. but then i thought i should have the latest version, but it will not download. i will try what you said, and get back to you

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 03:42:38 pm »
Do I assume you are using XP then ?

If so, see if this Hotfix does anything for you - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/832978

Offline inletwolf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 03:43:32 pm »
okay i tried to download adware and no go! i am using windows 7 ult, 32b
jean

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 03:46:13 pm »
Are you getting any error messages when the download fails ?

Offline inletwolf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 03:50:35 pm »
no errors, just doesnt start at all. also i checked my updates and tho i have installed hundreds, it says no updates have been installed on this computer. i can see them in installed updates but not if i go to remove an update

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 04:00:54 pm »
What happens when you try your restore points ?

You can use the restore points option by tapping F8 (usually) as you switch on to boot up into the advanced boot options then select Repair your Computer.

Change/confirm the keyboard language and navigate to the Recovery Environment where you will see that option.

Offline inletwolf

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 04:43:32 pm »
thats when it gives me the error message that system restore did  not complete properly. there is a missing dll from windows trnsfer...or something like that..it references to windows xp, which to my knowledge has never been on this computer.

let me give you some specs ( i should've done this earlier)
dell dimension E520 desktop
windows 7 ultimate 32b came preinstalled but i got a disk with it
N Vidia 7300
intel duo core

when i got it, i tranfered my files and programs over w/ a belkin cable

i am probly missing something but i just cannot read, then type and remember what i read

i paid microsoft for phone support..and thats when it al whent to h...lll

i lost my log-ons except for my admin account, i cant do a ststem restore, now i cant download anything
AND  i have that weirdcertificate virtualapp/didlogical with a user name that is jibberish and a concealed password.
which i googled today and nobody really knows for sure what it is

Offline inletwolf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 04:55:25 pm »
sorry i didnt respond right away but i had to go feed horses.

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 10:00:06 pm »
Boggin - sounds suspiciously like the OP may be the victim of a fake Microsoft service call to me.

Inletwolf - you say you paid Microsoft for support - how did this come about? Did you receive an unsolicited csll telling you that you computer had problems?
Iain

ThinkPad T450s W10 Pro x64
Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Premium
Macrium Reflect 7 Home, Tweaking WRAIO Pro

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 12:34:44 am »
Just take your time composing your reply - I use the Preview option a number of times until I'm satisfied my reply doesn't have any typos and makes sense (hopefully). :)

Not being able to download anything is typical of an infection as well as not being able to use your restore points, but normally you can still work in Safe Mode depending upon how the infection works.

As Still_Game has asked, how did the phone call to Microsoft come about ?

If you phoned them up, then why ?

If it was a genuine call to MS, then you may not have gotten the best of techs and I've seen it reported where some techs have left the machine in a worse condition than it was.

If your install disk includes SP1 then an offboot sfc /scannow can repair missing/corrupt dlls but I think the best way to deal with this would be to factory reset the computer.

This would wipe the disk of all of your personal stuff, although you can back that up prior to factory resetting - except that, having an unknown username and password would suggest the machine has been infected and while infections usually only affect system files, it's not known what else could be.

This is assuming the MS call was not genuine but if it's case of a MS tech screwing your system, then you should be okay to back up your personal stuff first.

BTW - I did a search to see what that xp.dll was and on a dll download site, it wasn't recognised.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 12:37:42 am by Boggin »

Offline inletwolf

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 11:01:30 am »
i am back. sorry for the long delay but it took me awhile to be sure that my computer was operating correctly.
to answer most of your questions, the call to microsoft was initiated by me, to report the scammer! i called the phone number that is listed under support.

so then i asked them to take a look at my system and they said that they offer 1 year support for 149.95. which i figured was a "fair price" i have the receipt from m/s, but yes you are right they left my system in worse shape than it was when i called them. then i insisted that i be transfered to tech2 dept. they were a little better, but they always end up in the same place...reload your o/s...NOT!!!

so i figured i would give it a go by using tweak, went to download the newest version and that is where i came in. yes i already had run adware

i was in safe mode when i was talking to ya'll.

the tweak worked, so i immediatly sighned up for the full version, which i need now, because i think the virus is in my network, as i am on my laptop, and it is not scanning with malwarebytes, or m/ sec ess

again sorry for the long break, but i had enough of the computer thing for awhile and i needed to do some "farm" work

if you are interested i own huntmaster farms. and i will post a link to my website. 

www.huntmasterfarms.com

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 05:03:06 pm »
Windows cannot remove infections but as it worked in Safe Mode, can you see if MBAM will also work in Safe Mode.

Infections can knock out AV programs and scanners, but can be isolated in Safe Mode.