Author Topic: ran windows repair v3.9.1 and got disastrous problems (SOLVED)  (Read 8025 times)

Offline hopeful

• View Profile
hello at tweaking.com

i have had problems with my windows 7 64bit home premium sp1 since yesterday. i wanted to restore my computer to an earlier state with system restore and did that successfully. when the reason why i did that didn't disappear, i wanted to undo the system restore operation but then my problem started - i received an error message with error code 0x80070057.  i tried several times - also with other system restore points, but kept getting the same error message.

i then had to try to re-install all the windows updates that had happened in the meantime - which unfortunately were a lot! the downloads didn't start, so i aborted the updates.

i then have been googling and checking for fixes to the above error message. which led me to your website and to downloading the windows repair utility in its latest version. so far all was more or less ok.

the serious problems started, when after emptying the pc of electric power as you suggest in the instructions of the repair utlity, i clicked on "re-boot in safe mode with networking". suddenly i get a blue screen and windows can't start anymore - not in safe mode and not in any other way.

i tried using a bootable cd, which at least led me to an enhanced options menu - but when i tried to do a startup repair it didn't work and i had to go back to starting with safe mode with networking - or rather, that's the only way that it goes back to starting.

as the pc is a hp, i have a recovery wizard on it, which i ran as well - all the cpu und memory diagnostics are fine. if i then want to go to startup repair, it's back to the windows recovery utility and even system restore from safe mode is not giving me a result. when i tried that it gave me another error code 0x8000ffff.

now i'm back to the hp recovery assistant doing a backup of files that it offers me, i'm afraid i will have to restore my system from a backup from an external drive i have -  but it's 4 months old and i don't want to lose all the data from the meantime. the backup of files that's running now in hp assistant i don't know if it will include all that's important for me.

is there any other solution to my problem to be able to start my computer again without having to restore my system from a backup image?

thanks for your urgent help - i'm going to go on a trip in a few days and there's so much else i need to do and this problem is of course keeping me incredibly busy, stuck at my computer when i would need to be doing other stuff!

any help is very highly appreciated!
desperate greetz
m.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 07:27:54 am by Boggin »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Are you able to boot up into the advanced boot options to see if Last Known Good Config does anything ?

You can run the Startup Repair up to three times with reboots in between regardless of what it reports to see if that resolves.

Is the bootable CD an install disk or a System Repair Disk ?

If it's a System Repair Disk then use it to navigate to the Recovery Environment (RE) to select Command Prompt and enter -

bcdedit |find "osdevice"

For clarity, that's a Pipe symbol before find.

It may not always detect the OS in C:

Using the partition letter enter chkdsk x: /f where x is the partition letter to see what that reports.

If it is an install disk and it is accepted when you select Repair your Computer, navigate to the RE to select Command Prompt and enter -

bootrec /fixmbr and/or bootrec /fixboot

Enter exit to close the cmd window - remove the install disk and Restart to see if it will boot normally.

Using either disk may allow you to successfully use the Restore Points option though.

makinero

Boggin - always wondered why "Restore Point" always fails in the most important cases of computer problems.
If there are no problems (Restore Point ALWAYS work)
but if is a problem and want to undo the changes - not possible. Because Restore Point does not exist.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 12:24:13 am by makinero »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
That has not been my experience and Shane wouldn't have included the facility to create a restore in WR if they didn't work.

makinero

Code: [Select]
Błąd Usługi kopiowania woluminów w tle: nieoczekiwany błąd podczas badania interfejsu IVssWriterCallback. hr = 0x80070005, Odmowa dostępu.
. To jest często spowodowane przez niepoprawne ustawienia zabezpieczeń w procesie zapisującym lub żądającym.

Operacja:
   Zbieranie danych modułu zapisującego

Kontekst:
   Identyfikator klasy modułu zapisującego: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
   Nazwa modułu zapisującego: System Writer
   Identyfikator wystąpienia modułu zapisującego: {561aec6b-077a-40db-8390-42f85a4d11cc}

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I appreciate that you have your own nationality, but this is an English speaking forum, so before you post your replies would you please use either Translate with Bing or Google Translate so that most of us can understand them.

makinero

Boggin - OK. I hope that the machine translation - will not be so bad ;)

Volume shadow copy service error: unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface. HR = 0x80070005, access is denied. This is often caused by incorrect security settings in the process of writing or requesting. Action: collect data zapisującegoKontekst cube: writer class Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220} writer name: System Writer writer instance ID: {561aec6b-077a-40db-8390-42f85a4d11cc}

Short:
Code: [Select]
Volume shadow copy service error code: 0x80070005 Access is denied
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 03:16:00 am by makinero »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
This is becoming a hijack of Hopeful's thread and bears no relation to the OP's problem.

I suggest you run WR and if you still have problems then open a new thread of your own.

Offline hopeful

• View Profile
hello, dear helpers,

so kind of you to take the time for me  :smiley:

but yesterday there were no replies when i needed them so i went ahead and saved 17 (!) dvd's of data backup in the hp recovery wizard and after saving all the data i possibly could with that, i went ahead and with the system recovery cd disc i had, i restored my pc with the 4 months old backup system image - better than nothing!

and loading the 17 dvd's of save data of course took a lot of time (in fact all night and i had of course to babysit and change the dvd's one after another, so i went to bed at 5 this morning!), but it worked. my system started normally. now i'm running another backup to my external disc, so that if something happens, i have a more current backup to revert to. teaches me to not let the regular backups slide that long!

the solution you suggest @boggin, might have worked, but it's too late for this time...  :shy:

i really appreciate it that you guys took the time to help here!

the post by @makinero though refers to a slightly different error code... so i don't know why he or she posted this?  :confused:

i'm closing this post now, cause for me at the moment, this has been resolved (in another manner).

thanks everybody and have a nice sunday!
m.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Saturday is quite a busy day for me so it can be later in the day when I get to check the forum, but glad your system image worked for you.

I create an image onto an external HDD once a month after the various updates, so if anything untoward occurs then I don't have to go back so far.
I'll add Solved to your thread