Author Topic: Search facility gone and no programmes listed on Start  (Read 7764 times)

Offline sandy

• View Profile
Search facility gone and no programmes listed on Start
« on: June 09, 2016, 03:25:12 pm »
Have Windows 7. After seeing good reviews of Tweaking, and although nothing obviously wrong, I decided to have a clean up - as perhaps it could run even better. I followed every step by the book - power deplete, etc etc. Even did pre-scan and handled a few items found there.

BUT now the Search doesn't function at all and the list of programmes has disappeared from Start. Thank heavens I could get to the control panel to a System Restore. That went fine ... except despite a few turn off and restarts, now its taking ages for the laptop to close down or to start again. Have no idea now want to do - as the restore has already been done.
 I know I did a 'back up' before the cleaning started but I don't know IF or How to activate that?
 I should have left well enough alone as this clean up certainly didn't work.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Search facility gone and no programmes listed on Start
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 03:44:35 pm »
Open Windows Repair then click on Option 5 Backup where you can use the registry restore.

Click on the Restore button under Registry then on Registry Restore in the menu bar of the next window and if the dropdown is blank then use the dropdown arrow to select the dated back up.

Offline sandy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 03:50:30 pm »
Thanks. Could you just tell me where I find Windows Repair?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 03:52:00 pm »
If you downloaded the program then you should have a desktop icon which you can double click on.

Offline sandy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 04:21:06 pm »
Oh I see. You gave me the link after your message. I am so used to ignoring adverts, I missed it. I thought you were referring to Microsoft software that would be on my computer. I have now downloaded it and will do it.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 04:24:12 pm »
Which program did you use which gave you the problems ?

Offline sandy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 04:27:14 pm »
Windows Repair (All in one). Latest version

Offline sandy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 04:41:26 pm »
I clicked on the Windows Repair link you said - and downloaded that - which is called 'Reimage'. There is no options listed at this point. It has scanned my computer and found a issues. I haven't handled them as I am trying to see where an Option 5 is!! I am not a computer wiz, so need to follow exactly what you say.
I can't see any option number 5 anyplace - so do you mean number 5 from the list on the left hand side?  This is the ONLY list or possible anything being offered on the page - and the 5th on the list would be Security check???

Clear faulty files
Install fresh files
Repair damage
Stability check
Security check

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 04:50:05 pm »
So why did you need to download it again or did it get removed with the restore point that you used ?

Seeing your last post - what have you downloaded ?

This is the first download link that you use and it isn't called Reimage www.tweaking.com

I haven't provided any links previously.

In the main menu of Windows Repair you should have the menu bar as so -

Offline sandy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 05:11:52 pm »
OK, all done now.
That was an interesting exercise. I didn't realise you meant option 5 within the Tweaking software. Then when I looked back at your message - at the end of it there happened to be an advert that said Windows Repair and an arrow. I clicked on that and downloaded that software!!! What a co-incidence that when I looked it appeared that was what you were referring to . I just had a look at that same advert again after your message but now it is showing a Taffe advert link. It obviously changes.

Anyway, now I know you meant within the Tweaking software. I found it and have redone the registry. There was no drop down box so thanks for what to do if that box didn't drop down.
I am an aged pensioner and its not always obvious!  Thanks for the help. Hopefully, all good again now.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 12:10:17 am »
Shane doesn't have any control of which adverts appear on the website, but that is a lesson for you look out for when downloading anything else, as that is how they (not Shane) try to sneak unwanted programs onto your system.

Anyway, glad you were able to get it sorted  :)