Author Topic: update history gone on Windows 10  (Read 28955 times)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: update history gone on Windows 10
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2016, 07:46:45 am »
As your problems seem to have started after the Silverlight update, try the steps in this article and then go back to it to reinstall Silverlight.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/rpomeroy/2008/06/09/how-to-manually-clean-up-a-broken-silverlight-installation/

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2016, 11:30:18 pm »
so I had a customer that had the worst start menu issue easiest thing I did which may save a whole headache of trouble... Have you created a new user... Lol...
Julian

Offline hdrabkin

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2016, 07:58:01 am »
Update:
BUT
The newest MS Windows 10 updates applied to my computer two days ago (7/19/16, (KB3173428),KB3172985, KB890830, and KB3174060 ), as I had been away for a week: all app issues fixed; Store came back, photo, groove, etc. all of a sudden now work.
The only issue I have now still is a hold over from windows 7 where I cannot seem to install two Corel programs that use the MS Installer. The programs unpack, etc., but I get a grayed out splash screen and then nothing. If I create a new account, the programs won't even unpack, get an error message "Installscript setup launcher unicode has stopped working".. So it doesn't get as far into the install as my own old account.
The grayed out window makes me think it's actually some sort of video related problem, although I have the latest graphics drivers;

BUT, all other functions in Windows 10 that I use have come back with the latest update

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2016, 08:41:06 am »
If you know they are Win 10 compatible, you could try the install in Safe Mode with Networking.

That way, your main GPU will be isolated.

Good news on the apps though.

Offline hdrabkin

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2016, 04:14:53 pm »
safe mode + networking still not doing it. Still the same "weird" grayed out splash screens once the installer writes t a temp directory.  I have attached screen shots of the two programs during installation.
The first, particle shop, show the partially grayed out screen. The second two are from Aftershot3 , the first a grayed out screen, but the second, if one "scrolls" down the screen, you can see a dialog indicating that files are being downloaded. However, once downloaded, it then stays totally grayed out.
I tried win7 compataible mode; also note, task manager shows the installers at zero cpu

What I'm thinking is that the screens should have some buttons, etc. that I am suppose to click  to continue but are never properly written.
Corel gave up and told me it was a MS problem. MS says it's a Corel problem.
But, I notice that an installer that I had used in the past (to installer aftershot2) no longer works, so I am thinking it is an MS problem. 8-(

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2016, 05:16:19 pm »
Are you able to download any other programs ?

Not sure if any of these suggestions will help, but have you tried a different browser such as Firefox ?

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-download-file-internet

Offline hdrabkin

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2016, 05:44:35 pm »
Yes; and I have no problem downloading the installers; they just don't execute once opened: they hang.
Have no problems downloading anything.
I have tried downloading on one computer, copying it to a flash drive, then copying it onto the computer I want it on, then trying to run.
I know the installer for Particle shop does run on my win 10 laptop, but that's not where I want it installed (my computer for photo work is more powerful; the laptop has only 2gig ram and a less that I3 processor).
SO again, it points to something on my machine, but can't figure out what unless it is the graphics card or driver.
At some point, I will enable to internal video, disable the graphics card, reboot, and try that.
Thought you might have another option to try.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2016, 06:12:22 pm »
Safe Mode with Networking will isolate your main graphics and use the onboard VGA.

That mode will also isolate any 3rd party programs as well as your AV program, so not sure what is baulking it.

Have you tried a different browser or reset IE to defaults ?

Offline hdrabkin

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2016, 07:10:51 pm »
I had disabled the driver for the integrated  video  ; the monitor is attached to the graphics card output, not the box's onboard output.
(e, onboard intel graphics has a different monitor jack than the Nvida graphics card.).
Do you mean safemode uses a generic vga driver?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2016, 01:30:53 am »
It does on a laptop, that is why the graphics are enlarged, but I understand that with a desktop pc you sometimes have to plug the monitor into a dedicated VGA jack.

However, if you get the usual enlarged graphics when booting into Safe Mode then it will be using an on board VGA - at least that is my understanding of a desktop.