Author Topic: windows update failure to configure  (Read 11201 times)

Offline frodi

• View Profile
windows update failure to configure
« on: June 28, 2016, 11:55:16 pm »
Windows update failure to configure, I have tried all fixes I could find for this problem. :cry:
I do not have the repair disc as windows came preloaded.
I do have updates for Microsoft .NET Framework, I found a fix for that.
But not for any other updates, since the start of 2016. The computer is a Toshiba laptop, windows 7 32 bit.
Then I found tweaking.com and have been trying that.
I have run the update tweak several times without success. The update downloads and installs, but then it asks for a restart and then the dreaded configuration is reverting the update again. I am about to turn off the windows update.
Today the configuration was in an endless loop, which tweaking.com fixed, thank goodness.
Sorry about the whinge.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: windows update failure to configure
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 01:28:19 am »
Can you go Start - type eventvwr and press enter.

When the Event Viewer as read the data and you are presented with Critical, Errors, Warnings etc. click on Errors then on Show all Instances of This Event in the lower right pane then look for any errors with a date and time stamp for when the configuration failed.

That will give a name and an Event ID - can you post that.

Offline frodi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 02:56:42 am »
Thanks Boggin, not sure if I am doing this correctly, the eventviewer did not quite work the way you said. I'll include the snips.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 02:59:39 am by frodi »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 03:23:57 am »
Did you click on the name Error and then on Show All Instances of This Event ?

Mine displays as Summary of Events - although I've never come across that error and you may need to contact Microsoft Customer Services about it.

Those errors are over a week old, so can you try the updates again and then see if Event Viewer produces any new errors.

Offline frodi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 03:51:32 am »
Will do Boggin. It is getting late here, so will get back to it tomorrow. Thanks for looking into it.

The eventvwr displays diffently from yours.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 04:04:47 am »
I'm not sure why that is but is Event Viewer (Local) at the top left highlighted and do you get the categories of Critical, Error and Warning etc. prior to clicking on the name Error ?

If you continue to get the Event ID 1107 after a failed update config, then I would contact MS, but I'll ask Shane about it.

Offline frodi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 04:42:12 pm »
I have decided to call out the computer tech. The problem has been occurring too long. I did contact Microsoft and they didn't have a solution either, in fact they pointed to Tweaking.com with (use at your own risk) warning.
Thank you very much Boggin, for looking at my problem. It is very much appreciated.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 12:02:40 am »
They've got a cheek when it has been reported that MS techs have used WR when they were stuck.

One thing I do though before using any major program like WR for the first time is to create an external system image.

I could have gotten my fingers burned if I hadn't done that shortly after getting my first laptop, when I bought UniBlue's Power Suite which was supposed to be a tune up program.

It damaged system files beyond repair, but fortunately I had the foresight to create an image to restore from.

I must admit that my older Toshiba Win 7 laptop isn't too keen on WR or having any tweaks done to it.

Anyway, hope you come back to let us know what the techs found - sometimes it's easier to just factory reset which they may opt for.

Offline frodi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 02:32:06 am »
The techie came and picked up the laptop. He saw that I had used Tweaking.com and asked how it had performed. Told him all the stuff I had done and he was amazed that nothing had worked. Hopefully he'll bring the laptop back tomorrow morning. Will let you know any results

Offline frodi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 02:47:00 am »
The techie came late this afternoon with the sad news that he couldn't fix the problem. He tried everything he could think of and ended up doing a repair install, which also did not fix the problem. I don't want to completely reinstall windows 7, so that is it!
The technician also told me that some of his customers want to buy a laptop with windows 7 OS. When he puts that in, it comes without the Update component!!! I guess Microsoft is forcing people to install Windows 10, whether they like it or not.  :shocked:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 07:21:32 am »
You should have the option to factory reset your laptop and I would think that would resolve the Event ID 1107.

Do four things before you do that - make a list of all of your programs, create a system repair disk, create a system image onto external media and then back up your personal stuff.

You will have all of your programs to reinstall - the likes of Adobe and Java to update and remove the bloat and finally a defrag.

I use IObit Uninstaller to get rid of the bloat which you can get from http://filehippo.com/download_iobit_uninstaller/

I would have directed you to the majorgeeks website but they are currently hosting v6.0 Beta 1 and I have no experience of that.

If and when you download it, look for any check boxes that will give you any of their unwanted software, but if any slip in, you can use their Uninstaller to dump it.

Not sure why the repair install didn't resolve but it sounds like he's hankering after getting you to sell him your laptop - a factory reset though time consuming should resolve.

If you can factory reset and your updates are successful, you'll probably end up with the GWX icon in the System Tray (I did :)) - simply download GWX Control Panel and use the settings to get rid of it.

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

Then go to Installed Updates, enter KB3035583 and KB2952664 in turn into the top right search box and right click on them and select Uninstall when they come up.

I uninstalled GWX Control Panel then because it was Monitoring as I like as little as possible running in the background.

Offline frodi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 05:06:17 pm »
Thanks for all that info. I did discus that with the techie, but am thinking I might install 10 on that laptop. It would be interesting to try!  I also have 1 other laptop and a desktop pc. Bot these have windows 7 64bit and perform without any problem. Each computer has it own main use.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2016, 02:04:46 am »
Well whatever state Win 7 is, I would advise creating an external system image first and change the boot order to permanently check the DVD and USB drives before the HDD, as Win 10 boots up that quickly that F2 and F12 don't work.

Once in Win 10, from a Command Prompt (Admin) you can retain the F8 and other legacy boot keys with this cmd -

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

Otherwise, you have to do it from within Windows to get into the advanced boot options, but if you can't get into Windows then having this option would be wiser.

Offline frodi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2016, 02:45:12 am »
Thanks Boggin, I'll be careful.