Author Topic: Slow Computer after fresh install[Fix]  (Read 12077 times)

Offline dondon

• View Profile
Slow Computer after fresh install[Fix]
« on: July 03, 2016, 05:58:36 am »
[Issue]

My computer is running very slow at times and for unknown reason.After a fatal error that prevented my computer from booting up I was forced to reinstall the system.Downloaded and created a Windows XP SP3 bootable USB and reinstalled.Then I notice my speed and I said yo myself that my windows setup was corrupt and reinstalled it again using a different source.Results were the same.Then I ran utilities to boost its performance but even after that , simple programs would lag during minimizing.

For instance , how could posibly a simple program like Notepad lag and crash or programs like cmd to never get milisecond 00 right(Used to do well before )?!Apart from this some websites are malufunctioning and all page gets black for that respective period  of time(Yahoo;Youtube HTML5 player).From that point I had it up.

One more problem is that the system recovers very slow after RAM straining proceses.I hosted a local server on a game , I was the sole player ingame and still lagged like hell although I was the host.After closing the game ,RAM would go from 99% to 30% in in graphs but windows will lag indefinetly till restart.

[Installed Programs]
VLC-Player,Gboost,Driver Boost 3.3,Microsoft Office 2007,Mozilla Firefox,WinRar,Daemon Tools,GreenShot,Core Temp

[Tools Used]
Uniblue Powersuite 2016 ; Tweaking.com System Repair All-in-one ; Junkware Removal Tool ; Avast Antivirus ; RKill ; RogueKiller ; Kaspersky TDSSKiller ; AdwCleaner ; CC Cleaner Pro ; Hitman Pro

In BIOS i tweaked the setting as much as I could and avoided CPU Overclock

Note:The tools did detect some problems and fixed them but they were not related to the PC Speed Performance , still slow laggin and crashin.Also all software was used individually then uninstalled to prevent any conflicts and RAM memory waste.

[Known Issues]
Battery nearly depleted(18 min on 100%) ;

AC Adapter Charges irregularly(will either not charge or not be regonized by the system(BIOS says unknown adapter) and keep the battery at the same power level),I must manually tweak it into certain positions to charge.The AC Adapter did undergo some repairs as at some point some wires were actually riped apart and were re-binded together.More Explicit below

[Performance]     |    [Battery]     | [BIOS adapter readings]
                             --------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Unplugged]       -  |Laggy(MIN)        | discharging    |              <none>
[Loose Plugged] -  |Laggy(MED)       | not charging  |          <unknown>
[Well Plugged]    -  |Good (MAX)       | charging        |                 90w

After Reinstalling windows , on attempt to acces computer SafeMode or perform a scheduled chkdsk scan(chkdsk /f in Command Prompt) , laptop will crash and get BSOD,reason still unknown.

Despite of those issues , that somehow seemed to have transfered to the new installaition , the performance isn't the same although all i did is installing basic drvers and ocasional utilty software(Office,Greenshot,Gboost).Any advice regarding software issues would be of help.As for the hardware issues they would be dealt in the near future.

[Additional Info]

« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 04:27:07 am by dondon »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Slow Computer after fresh install
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 07:30:53 am »
I once got my fingers singed once using Uniblue Powersuite possibly about 2011 - 2012 but was able to restore with a system image I'd created before running it.

I'm not overly keen on Driver Booster either - it downloaded the wrong driver for me which sealed its fate.

In Task Manager under Processes, click on Show processes from all users then click on Memory and that will sort them into the highest first.

If it has a system file at the top then right click on it and select Go to services which will highlight the main user.

Those temps have been quite high.

What is the machine like immediately after the clean install before you install any programs ?

I'd try the reinstall again, switch off, remove the battery and just run it on AC.

If the AC brick isn't chucking out as much power as it should then you'd probably get those symptoms, but without the load of charging the battery, there may be an improvement.

I use the free version of HWMonitor to check the condition of my laptop battery.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

The download links are on the left hand side and I use the Setup-English one.

BTW - What is that GBoost and is Hitman Pro just a scanner ?

EDIT - Forgot about the BSOD - download BlueScreenView and if your machine is set to create Memory Dump files then it will give you some info on the cause.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 07:39:17 am by Boggin »

Offline dondon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 09:29:27 am »
For Uniblue Software its based on device configuration.It will change the registry filles back to a template state I think.For XP does wonders,don't know about other systems though

Driver Booster did sometimes downloaded the wrong drivers for sound but thats the only accident that happend.Now its ok,all functions work normally.

Here is TaskManager processes sorted by most memory used

Had an old problem with svchost cpu overdrive but fixed it

About Temperature.The default values program says device is running within normal parameters

Without installing any programs is the same.This made me think its a power/registry issue.All programs from startup removed from startup folder,disabled through msconfig.

Already have HWMonitor on Computer.Details Below

GBoost is a software that acts as it is described , a "powerful tool" that will close all unnecesarry services so as the PC makes the best use of resources and to have 100% accesible.This will close any unsaved work.

And Hitman Pro is a scanner I use from time to time owing to different databases from AdwCleaner.Theoretically they have the same databases , I tested it myself and they give same results by as we know exceptions may occur so i rather be safe than sorry.

I dont have BSOD view.I think i never acces safe mode or use chkdsk /f to trigger it in this install.Will return with results in next post.

Note:I only come here when I cant solve the problem myself or with software.Usually google all things up an solve em on my own but this time I cant really define the nature malufunction 

Offline dondon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 09:43:42 am »
Curiously enough i tryed both chkdsk and safe mood.Looks like they were failiures of the old system.Now work normal.And about taking the battery off,I will avoid it owing to my loose AC and prevent sudden system shutdowns.This will affect my Harddrive and will eventually kill it.

Offline dondon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 11:12:48 am »
Info on RAM Use

And some info in msinfo32 in attachments
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 11:28:48 am by dondon »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 01:09:25 pm »
The temps in your previous post showed that it had been up to 85 - 87ÂșC but they are normal in your later post.

I much prefer to see what the memory is doing as shown in Task Manager in relation to the CPU usage.

That ApntEx.exe doesn't seem to be that overwhelming, whatever that relates to.

Is the machine running any better now that you have sorted out that svchost.exe problem ?

Offline dondon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 01:16:55 pm »
svc host is an already old issue.Fixed it no problem.work normally.But i did installed a new reg cleaner , reg clean pro but still no results.Also what ive noticed to a program I made is that CPU has perioads when it nearly halts.I might suspect i has to do soemthing with services.See in attachment all services

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 01:35:38 pm »
Can't read that - it's just a solid block of text in Notepad.

See what changing the Windows Update settings to Never... and then go into services.msc and change the Window Update service to Disabled/Stopped then reboot.

With a fresh install it may be looking for updates and if it can't find any or if it's update agent is out of date then that can max out the CPU.

This article looks trustworthy which you could use to download the Windows Update Agent but watch out for any additional software that may be included in the download.

https://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2476/windows-update-3-0-for-windows-xp-32-bit

You need to be careful with registry cleaners as they can do more harm than good.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 01:37:14 pm by Boggin »

Offline dondon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 01:36:50 pm »
Can't read that - it's just a solid block of text in Notepad.

See what changing the Windows Update settings to Never... and then go into services.msc and change the Window Update service to Disabled/Stopped then reboot.

With a fresh install it may be looking for updates and if it can't find any or if it's update agent is out of date then that can max out the CPU.

This article looks trustworthy which you could use to download the Windows Update Agent but watch out for any additional software that may be included in the download.

https://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2476/windows-update-3-0-for-windows-xp-32-bit

:wink: *.csv filles are opened with Microsoft Office Excell

Offline dondon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 01:39:44 pm »
If required I do a new windows install but i need a good source for the iso.So far The Pirate bay and File list didn't provide so much.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2016, 01:53:57 pm »
Have you tried changing the Windows Update settings and disabled the Windows Update service to see if the machine runs any smoother ?

There's a few sources here you could try - http://lmgtfy.com/?q=xp+32+bit+download

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 02:05:48 pm »
How are you activating it ?

Offline dondon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2016, 02:06:59 am »
Normally I would only install a OS that requires serial.I don't trust these Pre-Activated versions of OS cuz they tend to install lots of junkware

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2016, 02:20:46 am »
So are those links only providing OEM installs ?

Bloatware is easily uninstalled with a decent 3rd party uninstaller which is what you need to do anyway with a new laptop or after a factory reset.

Offline dondon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2016, 02:53:10 am »
Did a BIOS reset , no results.As for the problem with webpages crashes on Firefox , it's related with plugi-container.exe so this is a separate issue.I will reinstall the system again tonight and I hope the problem would be solved.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2016, 02:56:50 am »
Are you formatting the disk first or just reinstalling on top of the old install ?

It's usually recommended to wipe first.

Offline dondon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2016, 02:04:42 pm »
Always formatting the disk to prevent infection from older files
C:\ is my System Drive
D:\ is my Backup Drive
E:\ Personal File Storage

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2016, 02:41:57 pm »
Hope you have better luck with the new install than what you have experienced so far.

Does the install disk have the drivers you require ?

Offline dondon

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2016, 05:23:13 am »
The backup for the drivers is located in D:\ so do have all required drivers.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2016, 05:33:10 am »
Good Luck then :)