Author Topic: Windows 10 RSAT fails to install, but actually succeeds  (Read 5694 times)

Offline whiggs

• View Profile
Windows 10 RSAT fails to install, but actually succeeds
« on: July 10, 2016, 02:20:54 pm »
Hey all.  Been a while since I posted to these forums.  But I have an issue which is causing me a great deal of frustration.  This morning, I performed two, separate clean installations of windows 10 Threshhold 2 using the iso obtained from the tech bench website.  Before I continue to the problem, however, it should be noted that I have written a custom powershell script which I use to automate the process of customizing my windows environment, which can be found here: https://gist.github.com/DemonDante/fb39757fdaf02071b47b24f234714318
Now, as a part of the customization (as you can see if you look at the script), near the end, I download the RSAT msu for Windows 10 and perform a silent installation and force a reboot afterwards.  Now here is the strange thing, and I have never had a problem with this before, yet it happened on two brand new installations that I attempted this morning: when the computer restarts and seems to be finalizing the "configuring updates" portion of the RSAT tool installation, when the process reaches 100%, it will say "We couldn't install the updates.  Rolling back changes".  Then it wikll restart a couple of times and then, when I log back in, I look in my start menu and, lo and behold, under administrative tools, all of the RSAT tools appear there and seem to work fine, and the update also appears in the list of "installed windows updates" in control panel.  I guess they didn't get the memo huh?  Anyway, I'm not sure how to pursue diagnosing this issue.  If i uninstall the update and attempt to reinstall it, same result.  Same result also when I extract the .cab file from the msu file and try to apply it to the online image using DISM.  I'm about to throw my pc out the window.  Any ideas?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 RSAT fails to install, but actually succeeds
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 02:45:50 pm »
Threshold2 is quite an old version - have you tried creating a newer bootable ISO with the MCT to see if that resolves ?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

Offline whiggs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 04:06:48 pm »
Hmmm.  I'm not sure about that.  I like obtaining the official iso for a reason.  When you create an iso using the media creation tool, the media uses "esd" files rather than "wim" files for the install (and maybe boot) components, and since I am someone who performs operating system deployments for my company, wim files are the media needed to be able to perform offline servicing, deployments, and utilization of the many tools available in the ADK.  That is why I don't use the media creation tool.  I do, however, use a similar tool that I recommend everyone take a look at: a simple tool which is similar, but downloads the iso image selected directly from Microsoft servers:
https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool
This is what I use to download the latest iso from microsoft.  And as you will notice, Thresh hold 2 is labeled as the release for April 2016, which can be corroborated by going to the tech bench website and downloading the latest iso manually.   So, this should not be an issue.  Any other ideas?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 04:09:12 pm by whiggs »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 12:50:15 am »
I see what you mean about it being entitled Threshold 2 rather than the build number.

I would have thought that the MCT would be the official ISO download, but I'll take your word for the wim and esd as I've seen where others have had to use that when a /restorehealth cmd has returned it was unable to find the source file.

Which release of ISO had you previously used successfully - was it the April one or earlier ?

I assume you have the correct language set up ?

https://www.stephendonaghy.com/?p=25
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 12:58:39 am by Boggin »