Author Topic: [SOLVED] Need help - can't get Windows Update to work  (Read 6110 times)

Offline somnomania

• View Profile
[SOLVED] Need help - can't get Windows Update to work
« on: August 03, 2016, 11:34:46 pm »
For the leadup to this current problem, it's best to just read this. I haven't had proper, problem-free use of my computer and everything on it for five days now.

Right now, my primary problem is that I can't for the life of me get Windows Update to work. Earlier it was just that it would sit forever on 0%; before that, it was right after a system refresh, and the installing updates screen informed me that there was a problem and it was reverting to before I tried to do the updates. Now, I've run the all-in-one Windows Repair program from this site, done all the proper reboots, and it's just sitting on "Checking for updates" endlessly. I need to get these updates installed, because I'm having other software problems that are up to the "make sure Windows is fully updated" troubleshooting stage.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 01:06:09 pm by somnomania »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Need help - can't get Windows Update to work
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 01:54:35 am »
Creating a full external system image before upgrading would have saved you a lot of time and heartache.

I had the same problem with Windows Updates after factory resetting a Win 7 laptop and had to use WSUS Offline to get mine -

http://www.wsusoffline.net/docs/

http://download.wsusoffline.net/

But it looks like Win 8.1 has its own version which may help -

http://www.kapilarya.com/windows-update-ran-into-a-problem-error-8024a008

Just remember to create an external system image once you get back up and running.

I've upgraded one of my Win 7 laptops to Win 10 and I'm quite happy, although I've just gotten out of a bad situation with the Win 10 Aug. Update where I restored with a system image which got me out of the mire - lesson learned ?

Offline somnomania

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 07:09:32 am »
Having a backup would have served me well too, ah well. I always forget system images are a thing, too. Regardless, Windows Update sorted itself out, it just took an obscenely long time for it to get past "checking for updates", and then even longer to install them all even though it was less than a gigabyte total.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 07:15:37 am »
You've been fortunate - Win 7 users were waiting days, but glad they eventually came for you.

You may want to make a note of those tools should you have any future update problems.

If you go to your opening post, click on Modify, you can add (SOLVED) to the thread title.