Author Topic: Failure Windows Repair 3.9.9  (Read 7508 times)

Offline GaijinSue

• View Profile
Failure Windows Repair 3.9.9
« on: August 16, 2016, 08:21:27 am »
I've attached the repair log file. Running Windows 10. (I can report build number is necessary, but I don't have it right now.)
I did the repair from a USB drive.
Went through all steps leading up to the "Windows Repair Tab" (steps 1 - 4), Did all Power Resets as directed.
It reported a failure in one of the optional steps. (I think it was step 3? with some kind of backup.)
Run in Safe Mode.
Failure.
In desperation, I tried the Windows "refresh" and it reported "problems" and no changes were made.  Same for Windows repair (i.e., install windows fresh  and lose all my files).
Before I ran Windows Repair 3.9.9:
Computer boots up but is SLOW. Takes about 15 - 20 min or more. Can do some things in Safe Mode, but all actions take extreme time to execute.
Read somewhere that "Classic Shell" can interfere with windows, so uninstalled (using both Windows function and Revo Uninstaller), but Classic Shell is still there. 
Tried to roll back Windows version, but reported that Windows Installer had failed due to missing or corruption.  I even tried running Windows_Repair 3.9.9 to fix only Windows MSI. Still, everything fails.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Failure Windows Repair 3.9.9
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 03:26:42 pm »
See if disabling then re-enabling fast startup does anything for your boot up.

Go Start - type power options and press enter - click on Choose what closing the lid does then on Change settings that are currently unavailable then uncheck the box for fast startup - Save changes and then reboot.

Repeat the procedure to check the box for fast startup.

Shutdown then switch back on to see if there's any improvement.

For the rest, right click on the Start button and select Command Prompt (Admin) and enter -

dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth to see what that reports.

If it reports as irreparable then you're looking at a repair install - I assume you created bootable Win 10 ISO media ?

You don't lose any of your stuff with a repair install.

Enter - sfc /scannow to see what that reports.

If that reports unable to repair some files then enter -

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

This can appear to hang at 20% but will complete.

Run another sfc /scannow to see if it still reports problems.

If it does then download/run SFCFix.exe and post its report if it reports that it cannot repair whatever files.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/sfcfix.html

Offline GaijinSue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 12:37:57 pm »
See if disabling then re-enabling fast startup does anything for your boot up.

Go Start - type power options and press enter - click on Choose what closing the lid does then on Change settings that are currently unavailable then uncheck the box for fast startup - Save changes and then reboot.

Minor Problem:  There is no box to uncheck / check for fast startup.   :confused:

I vaguely remember seeing "fast startup" somewhere, but can't remember much more.  Is there someplace else it might be?  Note:  I'm working in Safe Mode if that means anything.

THANK YOU!

Offline GaijinSue

• View Profile
Re: Failure Windows Repair 3.9.9 MORE Info
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 01:47:12 pm »

With the fast startup missing (see previous reply), I poked around on Google and found some instructions about the "missing" fast startup checkbox.
At Command Prompt (Admin), I typed in:  powercfg /hibernate on which was supposed to make the fast startup checkbox accessible.  It didn't.

:thinking:

So, I tried powercfg /a and got the following information -- see attached txt file

I'm running in Safe Mode if that makes a difference.  I also logged into my system [Safe Mode] using my usual windows logon (as administrator).

Note:  I appreciate your very clear instructions. I can follow them if I could only get to the fast startup checkbox...

Suggestions ????

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 03:58:57 pm »
I've just booted my Win 10 up into Safe Mode with Networking and fast startup isn't an option in that mode - try it in normal mode.

Offline GaijinSue

• View Profile
Re: Failure Windows Repair 3.9.9 -- The Saga Continues
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 02:57:00 pm »
Just a note to let you know it's not resolved yet.
I booted up into normal mode with networking.
Fast Start still not available. It's there, but it's grayed out.
Been hunting around for ways to access grayed-out options. The few things I've tried haven't worked (mostly can't be executed).  I found what appears to be a "simple" resolution which involves 2 .bat files that are supposed to make appropriate changes to the registry to turn on/off Fast Start option.  They wouldn't run in either Normal or Safe Mode.
Decided to run SFC to see what if anything is amiss.
Will update later if I have any success.
I'm open to any additional suggestions.
Thanks again.  :confused:

P.S. Did you know that Local Group Policy isn't available to Win 10 Home version?   :shocked:  Thought I could change the availability of the grayed out Fast Startup through Group Policy. Unfortunately, no. Also, regedit.exe won't run (Normal and Safe Mode).  Arrrgh.

References:
http://www.top-password.com/blog/turn-on-or-off-fast-startup-missing-in-windows-10/
http://www.download3k.com/articles/How-to-Enable-or-Disable-Fast-Startup-in-Windows-10-01399

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 03:04:34 pm »
With Hibernate on and following those steps from Power Options, fast startup shouldn't be greyed out and yes, I knew that GPE isn't available in Home editions of Windows.

I can only advise that you do a repair install to see if that resolves.

Have you run an antimalware scan with something like the free version of MBAM ?

http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 03:07:19 pm by Boggin »