Author Topic: Latency and "Messed up computer." I was told "You need professional help."  (Read 6546 times)

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
I was told "You need professional help."

Howdy Shane,

I have a computer that I depend on for my work and it has a latency problem.  I will pay you to do your best to help me fix it.

email address and phone number removed by Moderator

Here is how I descirbed the problem and Boggin's reply:

I have a latency problem and the event viewer shows me that I have to disable the LSO (large Send Offload) on my Netgear A6210.  Maybe there are more things.  Many errors in the event viewer. Some are related to not being able to start a priner device; I have not printers directly attached to this PC --- only a network printer.  Should I deleted all those printers that are there?  (Where did they come from anyway).  But, i want to start with disabling LSO as from what I read that could be the cause.  Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Here are some of the errors from the event viewer:

Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0x00FFB7127985.  The following error occurred: 0x79. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Service cannot be started. System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at ​​‬‬​​‍​​‏‪‌‪‎‏​‬‏‫.‍‏‎‪​‬‌‫‏​‫‏‪‎​‫‫​‫(Int32 )
   at ​​‬‬​​‍​​‏‪‌‪‎‏​‬‏‫.‍‍​​​‫‫​‎‎‬‪​‍‍‍‌​‏‫‍‎‫‪‍(String[] )
   at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state)

The server {9E175B6D-F52A-11D8-B9A5-505054503030} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

The description for Event ID 104 from source SRService cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

Printer PaperPort Color Image failed to initialize because a suitable PaperPort Color Printer Driver driver could not be found. The new printer settings that you specified have not taken effect. Install or reinstall the printer driver. You might need to contact the vendor for an updated driver.

Event provider NcsWmiEventProv attempted to register query "SELECT * FROM IANet_802dot3TeamEvent" whose target class "IANet_802dot3TeamEvent" in //./root/CIMV2 namespace does not exist. The query will be ignored.

The SeaPort service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s). ,=== I DO NOT KNOW WHAT A SEAPORT IS.

The Windows Search service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 20 time(s).

FWIW, there are some warnings also.  Like: Certificate for local system with Thumbprint b2 52 53 79 9b 63 0d 22 d2 dc 42 53 c4 30 16 da 99 91 13 7a is about to expire or already expired  <=== ID NOT NOT CARE ABOUT THIS THUMBPRINTS STUFF.
==================== BOGGIN'S REPLY =====================
Re: Windows 7 Ultimate - Netgear A6210 Latency Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 06:58:30 AM »
I've never used a Netgear so that LSO may be peculiar to that.

I was getting DHCP-Client Event ID 1002 with a similar message to yours and I suspected it to be a router fault where DHCP wasn't assigning IP addresses as it should.

I would get this event ID on three different machines after booting up.

Generally you can ignore it but in Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices - expand Network adapters where you'll probably see incremented MS ISATAP adapters.

You can right click on the incremented ones and select Delete, although they'll probably just be recreated when Windows is initially unable to make a connection - but they can mount up if not kept an eye on.

My router was an ISP supplied one so not sure if a firmware update would have solved that, but there may be a firmware update available for your Netgear model - that's usually the first step if you think a router isn't performing as it should, but save the current config before upgrading so that you can revert if an upgrade is problematic.

I also get a Printer error when my printer isn't switched on before I boot the laptop - see if you still get it with your printer switched on before the computer.

As for the rest, run a command prompt as an administrator and enter sfc /scannow to see what that reports.

If it reports there are files that it cannot repair, then download SFCFix.exe from http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/sfcfix.html

This will produce its own report and may fix what sfc /scannow was unable to.

If it reports it is also unable to fix then copy & paste and post its report.

To determine if you are using the correct MTU setting, download TCP Optimizer - select Save then right click on it in your Downloads folder and select Run as administrator.

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Both the router and computer MTU setting should be set to 1500 before you start.

To check your computer, run a command prompt as an administrator and enter -

netsh interface ipv4 show interfaces

This will give an Idx No. for each interface.

1500 is usually the computer's default setting, but should you need to change it to what Optimizer recommends then enter this command for your wireless and Ethernet.

netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface [Idx No.] mtu=[recommended] store=persistent (without the brackets)

e.g. For my wireless interface I would enter netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface 5 mtu=1492 store=persistent as 1492 has previously been given for my connection and 5 is the Idx No. for that interface.

Then redo the netsh show interfaces cmd to confirm.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 09:35:29 am by Boggin »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'll pass this on for you but have you done anything that I've suggested such as checking for a firmware upgrade for your router or running a sfc /scannow to see what that reports ?

Your problems can't be progressed until you give some feedback on what suggestions have already been made.

One thing I did miss out was to update your Network adapters drivers and do you get the same Network problems when Ethernet connected ?

You can check your latency at www.pingtest.net and use Netalyzr to give you a report on your connection - both need Java.

http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/

BTW - None of the suggestions I've made would mess up your computer.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 03:40:28 pm by Boggin »

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
Thanks much for your comments.  Yes, I believe that nothing you have said would mess up my computer; but, I have begun a system backup in case I do something wrong; it will take [prolly till tonight to be complete -- 57% now; so I will wait to do what is do be done.  I have downloaded the firmware update for the A6210.  I am looking to see about one for the Netgear router also.  I will keep you posted.  Thanks for your help.

Offline jpm

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
You will probably find that the "cannot connect to dhcp server" issue is because you have an old or other wireless connections in your system. Perhaps it is a work and home laptop or the like?  I wouldn't worry about it. If you are typing here, the right connection was made. ;)

The other event viewer stuff doesn't really apply.

If you are having latency issues you have to determine where it is. One spot, all spots. etc. A place to start for that is a simple tracert.  You go to command prompt , type "tracert tweaking.com > trace.txt " (not quotes. This will create a text file call trace.txt that you can upload here. You are looking for things with large hop times. If the large hop is your router - well, there's the issue. ;)

the firmware update on the router is a solid idea.

if you want to disable LSO, I believe you do that from the network adaptor, not router.  Click start> control panel > change the view to small icons.  Then look for  network and sharing center.  Click change adapter settings. Double click the Local Area Connection and click properties then configure.  Click the advanced tab. Find large send offload for IPv6 and IPv4 . Disable then and reboot.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Well that's something I've learned - don't normally need to go in there.