Author Topic: Problems after Refresh of Windows 8.1  (Read 8363 times)

Offline thatcrazydoglady

• View Profile
Problems after Refresh of Windows 8.1
« on: September 24, 2016, 05:36:12 pm »
 :confused:   Okay, after refreshing Windows 8.1, 'cause I couldn't make the "PNP detected fatal error" blue screen go away, I have some problems that I can't seem to fix!  Here's hoping you guys can help!

First problem - After I found that my mouse tracking pad wasn't working, I ran a Tweaking Windows Repair.  Fixed that problem, but while in Safe Mode, my Tweaking program was only "Free" and not "Pro".  So, no problem, just put the info' in to change it, but I then discovered I couldn't open a Word doc, so I couldn't get the info'!  Gave up on that problem for now, since I know I have Tweaking Pro and Office and they both work in regular mode, so just ran the repair in Safe Mode in the Free version.

Second problem - This one's a bit more important.  I remembered that Windows Defender won't work if there is any other antivirus program on your computer and my Windows 8.1 came with Mcaffey.  So, I've since uninstalled it, but I still can't get WD to open!  When I try, it goes to the Windows system32 file!  I've looked online everywhere and can't seem to find a solution!

Third problem - Even after running the Windows Repair program again, I can't seem to make Windows Updates work anymore!  It just keeps "checking for updates".  So, my last updates noted are from when I first got this computer, 1/20/2015.  I know I don't want the most recent ones, 'cause I think one of them is what caused my original problem, but some must have been good!

I'm slowly getting all my other programs back on board and know that I need to use my Macrium Reflect program, so I don't have to go through this again, but I'd messed around with my external drive and things weren't up-to-date anymore!

Hope you can help!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 08:58:16 pm by thatcrazydoglady »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Re: Problems after Refresh of Windows 8.1
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 08:59:41 pm »
For your wd problem, try this
It is just registering the files again , so any issue in dll files fixed
Just go to cmd in admin mode.
Just type or copy paste the following one by one and press enter for each line and try to open wd
egsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll
regsvr32 atl.dll
regsvr32 mssip32.dll
After registering, just close cmd and then try
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline thatcrazydoglady

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 10:28:54 pm »
For regsvr32 wucltui.dll   Failed to load
For regsvr32 initpki.dll    Failed to load
For regsvr32 wuweb.dll   Failed to load

Problem remains where instead of starting WD, system32 file opens.  If I go to services.msc, and try to start it from there, I get Error 577.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 10:44:26 pm »
Hi, see system 32 folder. and look for the presence of these dlls. If they are not found, pl look for similar version and copy the file there. See also , it has been renamed in that folder, if it is then change the command of these do those presence in the system 32 folder and try those commands

Offline thatcrazydoglady

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 10:53:32 pm »
There is a wucltux.dll    and a    wuwebv.dll.       There is nothing that even looks remotely like the initpki.dll

What should I do with the 2 above?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 12:03:28 am »
Hi, I think you need to do sfc /scannow to fix system file errors.
             Say what it reports.
                      If all the files are registered again, there is a chance of fix. But your system miss some of the system dll files. Normally, this command line utility will fix system file errors. If it does not show errors, then you could try wd

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 01:13:40 am »
Depending upon how you uninstalled McAfee you could still have some of its active components in the registry which will be preventing WD from starting.

Download the MCPR.exe from http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/mcafee_consumer_product_removal_tool.html and run that twice with a reboot in between and then see if WD will start.

Offline thatcrazydoglady

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 04:33:23 am »
Well, I don't know what I did, since it was so late and I was trying this, that and the other thing, but when I went to shut down last night, I discovered that I had a working Windows Defender again!  So, one problem solved!  But I still have problems one and three left to deal with.  Hope you can help there too!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 07:26:01 am »
Did WD start working before you saw my post about running MCPR.exe ?

The problem with Pro to Free should be fixed in a new release of the program due out on Monday.

As for your Word problem, see if this article helps with that - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/918429

For the updates, if these commands don't help then give WSUS Offline Update a go.

From a Command Prompt (Admin) type and press enter -

dism /online /clean-up-image /startcomponentcleanup

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

That one can appear to hang at 20% but will complete.

sfc /scannow

To see if it reports any corruption it is unable to repair and then try the updates again if it comes back without any errors.

These are for WSUS -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXAOvbNJYyE

http://download.wsusoffline.net/

Offline thatcrazydoglady

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 09:16:10 am »
Trying the wsus offline now.  The article about Office doesn't seem to apply here.  Office works fine in regular mode.....Just not in Safe Mode.

I think I'd already tried the Mcaffee tool before you'd mentioned it, but that may have helped in the end.....I just don't remember what all I did to get to having WD work again!  I just kept trying many things and it was finally there again.  Sorry!

I'll let you know about wsus offline when it's done.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 09:22:34 am »
Okay - the Office updates are optional and once you get the main ones, any outstanding ones should follow naturally.