Author Topic: Windows 10 running AIO repair (Ver. 3.9.11) can't login on reboot to safe mode  (Read 12667 times)

Offline tptan

• View Profile
I run ver. 3.9.11 and reboot to safe mode to continue with repair but I can't login my password.
Why is this so?

Offline jpm

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
I'm not sure what you mean.  The windows password or the software key?

The windows password should work regardless of safe mode

The software key won't work unless you boot to safe mode with networking

Offline tptan

• View Profile
this is what happened. I run AIO repair and then run reboot to safe mode. My pc reboot and I had to login with my password but I can't cos the mouse is not working. I can't click to type
my password.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I've recently come across another case of where neither the mouse or keyboard would work in Safe Mode in Win 10 which is still to be resolved.

See if this resolves - go into Device Manager/USB Controllers and right click on each USB Root Hub and select Properties.

Under the Power Management tab uncheck the box to Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power.

Offline tptan

• View Profile
Thanks Boggin. I tried as you advised but it didn't work. Still can't find mouse or use the keyboard to type in the password.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
All I can think of is perhaps it is loading the wrong drivers in Safe Mode, such as from previous devices.

Open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter -

SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1

devmgmt.msc

In Device Manager click on View/Show hidden devices and work your way through the relevant sections then right click on the greyed out drivers and select Uninstall.

Create a restore point first though in case you uninstall one that is needed.

Offline Brama

• View Profile
Happy that I am not the only one with the mouse and keyboard not working in safe mode.
Still not solved. :(

P.S. cleaning old drivers, as Boggin suggested, is not working in my case.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 03:32:49 am by Brama »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The only other thing that I can suggest is a repair install.

Use the Download tool now link in https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 then follow the prompts to create either a bootable USB or DVD.

For the DVD you need to select the ISO option.

In Windows Explorer/This PC reinsert the media and double click on it to run the Setup.exe but it's advisable to uninstall any 3rd party antivirus program first.

Offline tptan

• View Profile
Why is AIO repair unable to repair the problem described? Or it is in the process of finding a solution?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'd passed your problem onto jpm but I'll pass it onto Shane, although he's extremely busy at the moment with an influx of work from his computer repair business.

In the meantime, create another admin account without a password and then run the repairs.

Offline Brama

• View Profile
I tried two times to reinstall Windows 10 with the original Win10 1607 DVD, keeping files and apps, but no way.
AIO doesn't solve the issue, probably because you can't run it in safe mode.
Probably it is needed a clean install or to keep files only.

For me will be the last try, as I have a configuration that needs at least one week to rebuild it as it is now.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
While I'm using a laptop, I use a Logitech wireless mouse which works fine in Safe Mode.

Create a more up to date bootable Win 10 media using the Download tool now button from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 and try a repair install with that.

Offline tptan

• View Profile
The problem of unable to get into safe mode that I raised, I noted could be due to the Norton Security software that I used. Could other members confirm that they are also using the Norton Internet security software. Any solution for the problem using the AIO repair?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I use Norton Security and haven't had any problems using the program to boot up into Safe Mode, although I'm a single user and don't use a password.

Have you tried after creating another user admin account without a password and log in with that ?

Offline tptan

• View Profile
No I haven't. Early today I had a problem with my pc in the BSOD with the error code: 0xc000000f indicating that Windows/system32/drivers/NISx64/1607010.020\SymELAM.sys is missing or corrupted. Apparently this is due to the Norton Security as I read from some other sites. This problem apparently results in the problem of getting into safe mode.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
If it is corrupt then Norton's Remove and Reinstall isn't likely to work and may mean a complete uninstall/reinstall, but if you do a manual check for updates and they fail, you can invoke the self fixer (Get Support) where it will check its own installation.

Offline Brama

• View Profile
Never installed a Norton software under Win10 but I had keyboard and mouse not working under safe mode.
This WE I solved my problem but I don't know how.  :shy:
I breaked my Marvell RAID0 and after some restores using Acronis 2016 and using WinRE boot fix, as original restore was not able to finish the boot, I was able to boot to my desktop.
At this point in safe mode both keyboard and mouse are still not working, but I noted that drivers of mouse and keyboard were reverted to Windows 10 default ones.
Then I used the original Win10 1607 x64 image burned in a DVD to do a refresh of installation, keeping apps and personal files.

As soon as it finished its job, I have luckly the keyboard and mouse working on safe mode!
Probably Windows installer this time detected something wrong on driver management and changed it to default clean installation procedure.
Unfortunately what I did is not a solution but a miracle that worked in my configuration.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 07:31:06 am by Brama »