Author Topic: Repair Error Logs and Windows Update  (Read 6460 times)

Offline jguerreiro

• View Profile
Repair Error Logs and Windows Update
« on: December 10, 2016, 06:44:12 am »
hi 'all
i've been dealing with a Windows Update error (80070057) and i've tried a ton of differnet things.
Yesterday i used the Repair Tool and got some errors.
I am wondering where and if i can et a look at complete logs, or at least error logs for the repair tab.
The logs hat are exported are so slim and barely have any info.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Repair Error Logs and Windows Update
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 08:10:01 am »
Offhand I think they are in C:\Windows but it's been a while since I ran the program, so not sure now.

What else have you tried ?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 01:51:21 pm »
To view the logs, in the program click on Settings then on Open log file and click on the date which will then list each log for you to view it.

Offline jguerreiro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 08:23:30 am »
Boggin,
i've started a thread with everything i've tried to fix windows update
i have't finished, because i was suposed to pass the laptop to it's owner to send it to HP support, but i've been given some more time.~
please check the thread here: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Can-t-run-any-updates/td-p/5887755
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 08:57:12 am by jguerreiro »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 10:35:29 am »
I was unable to view your pics in that HP thread as I'm not registered as a member.

It's not clear if you have performed a chkdsk /r - can you run that and check to see if it reports any KBs in bad sectors.

You can view its full report in Event Viewer by expanding Windows Logs - click on Application and look for a Wininit entry for when you ran the chkdsk /r.

That Windows Update Troubleshooter can report that it has fixed things when it hasn't and doesn't really help when it reports not fixed.

Locate the AIO logs as I've described and check to see if any relate to Windows Updates.

Event Viewer may also have some related errors, but as the Check for Updates successfully ran, albeit not finding any, WUS Offline may find them for you.

The first link is a YT tutorial and the second is for the program's download link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXAOvbNJYyE

http://download.wsusoffline.net/

Offline jguerreiro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 10:52:58 am »
thanks for the replies,
i did contact Microsoft due to my warranty expiring soon and wanting to have this issue resolve before.
after their technicians logging onto my computer they where able to fixed the "problem", which was not a problem with my computer nor Windows; turns out the problem was that due to increasingly large Windows Update Databases, it seems like Windows Updates hangs, or at least does not pass on the information that nothing wrong has happened - it just needs time to look for updates. How much time though? The technician reported that he's seen cases where a person had to leave Windows Update running for 5 days straight, and at the end, updates where finally presented.
Windows Defender was also unable to look for updates, locking half way through - this would have to do with Windows Update not having updated yet, and conflicting with Windows Defender.

To solve the issue, the engineer manually downloaded 3 updates, that would tell Windows not to search the entire database for updates, hence taking so much time, but to look in very specific places; the updates are KB3021910, KB3173424 e KB3172614;

The steps would be:
1 - Deactivate windows updates
2 - Case you've started to look for updates, restart the computer
3 - Manually install the 3 updates
4 - Restart again
5 - Activate windows updates

I will have to now re-install Windows because i've been messing around with the registry and changing all kinds of settings to get this problem fixed, and i want to have a clean install on on computer, so i can't yet confirm that the fix was as simple as this. I will get back to this post.  If manually downloading and installing these updates fixes this problem right away, i would suggest Tweaking adding this step and downloading and installing those updates before anything else.

EDIT: as i suspected, and as always, nothing is as simple. i was able to install the first two KB's the third failed, telling me the update was not intended for my system. Anyway, i restarted, and ran the update for 6 hours, auntil it found updates. Everything is working as intended now. Downloaded 250 updates, creating a clone of my clean install and backing it up online!

regards!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 03:06:35 pm by jguerreiro »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 03:34:33 pm »
In Win 7, someone had reported running Check for updates for three weeks before they downloaded, but Win 7 has equivalent updates which MS released for this problem.

That WSUS program can help a lot with problematic updates if you come unstuck again.