Author Topic: Effect of "Restore Important Windows Services"  (Read 14909 times)

Offline fjjr

• View Profile
Re: Effect of "Restore Important Windows Services"
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2017, 11:23:26 am »
Ps 

I have not of course established whether there was any connection with the services repair I carried out via the repair tool - it may have been a mere coincidence that the problem arose around when I first used the tool and Ihave no way of checking that out now - unless of course it returns if and when I have occasion to use the tool again. 

I notice that Boggin suggested that the windows update service might as well be disabled now, but would that not disable all MS updates, including to MS Office updates and the malware removal tool?  Was he referring to the service called "Automatic Updates"?

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2017, 11:32:14 am »
Yes that is the sevice Boggin was referring too. If you still get updates for Office products then leave it on auto.

Does anyone actually use the Malicious Software Removal Tool? It seems pointless to me as the definitions are only updated monthly, something like MBAM updates many times a day, just saying  :wink:

Offline fjjr

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2017, 11:53:38 am »
Thanks, Samson, for the reference to the adobe flash removal tool, which I was unaware of.  I'll use it if I find that the automatic updates are still not working for Adobe Flash.

I suppose I run the malicious software removal tool (which is what I referred to as the malware removal tool) in case it does some good that has not already been done by any of my other defences - blind flying, like so much of computing, but I see no reason to assume that my other defences are 100% effective.