Author Topic: Running repairs and Malwarebytes 3.0  (Read 12457 times)

Offline mecanicogolf

• Rehab is where to be
    • View Profile
Running repairs and Malwarebytes 3.0
« on: January 14, 2017, 09:58:36 am »
I installed the new Malwarbytes 3.0 about a week ago. It seems to be working just fine on my PC and using it as my only AV. Had to uninstall MSE due to the fact that it was buggy and messed up my starting and stopping process. MB knows about it and they are on it.
My problem is that I ran the complete repair (default) of tweaking.com and restarted. The first thing I noticed was that Malwarebytes errored on startup and could not open the security center either. Red flag came up and I could not open.
I rolled back to my old registry (that heartbeat thing) and everything went back to normal.
Now I´m affraid to run tweaking.com. Any suggestions or help?

Richard
mecanicogolf

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Running repairs and Malwarebytes 3.0
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 02:02:20 pm »
I assume you are using MBAM v3.05 Premium and Windows 7 ?

There are two repairs that could possibly have caused that to my mind, but I'll report this to Shane.

The two repairs I have in mind are repair 06 and 27.

Run the MSE Removal Tool and then run program again in Safe Mode and uncheck the boxes for those two repairs to see if you get the same error.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_security_essentials_removal_tool.html

You can rely on your registry back up should it happen again.

If it doesn't occur then run the program again, first checking one of the boxes - unchecking and then checking the other to see if either are the cause.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 02:04:46 pm by Boggin »

Offline mecanicogolf

• Rehab is where to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 08:21:47 am »
Yes. I am running MB 3.05 on Win 7.
Well...I did exactly what you said: Ran MSE Uninstall Tool and then ran tweaking.com tool default with the 06 and 27 unchecked.
Sorry to inform you that this did not work. Got the same results and had to restore the registry backup.
I´ve been thinking about reverting back to my old system of MSE and the old version of MBAM and MBAE at least until all the bugs are out of the new version 3.0.5. I really don´t like the fact that MB is by itself anyway because I don´t trust a program that fails the EICAR test.
I know that MSE and the new MB do not go well together and they are on this for the new version when it comes out. They told me I will be advised when it does.

I am assuming that all this is the new MB and not tweaking.com.

I am willing to help if you have any more suggestions.
mecanicogolf

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 09:16:18 am »
While I have the free version of MBAM v3.05, I haven't had the need to run WR.

Are you using the free or Premium version ?

It's unusual for MSE not to get along with MBAM, but I haven't been keen on trying the Premium version alongside of my Norton Security as you basically have two programs doing the same job, although I've seen on other forums where others run the Premium version and an AV program - but that was pre- 3.0

Could it be MBAE that is causing the problem or are MBAM laying the blame on 3.05 ?

I think it will be worth using an older version of MBAM if you can get hold of a copy just to eliminate 3.05, but did you run the MSE uninstaller to get rid of any residue as Windows Uninstaller never does a thorough job.

Offline mecanicogolf

• Rehab is where to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 05:46:50 pm »
I am using the Premium version of 3.0.5-

There is no problem with MSE and the old versions. And that is where I´m at now. I am back to MSE, MBAM and MBAE.
And no...you cannot run ,SE alongside MB 3.0.5 right now. There is a bug they say and are investigating it as of now.
But (here´s another one)......I just ran tweaking after I had gone back to normal and my WSC came up with the red flag. I tried to open it and it says it could not open. That has never happened before and THAT has nothing to do with MB 3.0.5 because it´s not on my PC anymore.
P.S. What I´m saying is I got smart and did what you said: Uninstalled MB 3.0.5 and went back to the old version. But I reinstalled MSE.

????¿¿¿¿
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 06:08:05 pm by mecanicogolf »
mecanicogolf

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 03:56:36 am »
Today may not be one of my better days, but what is WSC ?

Offline mecanicogolf

• Rehab is where to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 05:26:10 am »
Windows. Security Center.
You know.. the little white flag.
mecanicogolf

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 05:39:19 am »
Ah - that's the Action Center.

Click on the Start button and Select Control Panel and under System & Security click on Review your computer's status.

If that doesn't get you it, go All Control Panel Items and click on Action Center, but I've never come across the error that you are getting when accessing it from the flag.

Does Event Viewer or reliability history report anything not working ?

Offline mecanicogolf

• Rehab is where to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 06:08:29 am »
Well what I did was use tweaking backup restore and now everything's back to normal. But this time I ran the repairs without the new version, just like before. I just wonder why it's just affecting the Action Center and nothing else.
mecanicogolf

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 06:16:21 am »
I don't know - it's a puzzler.

I'll ask Shane about it but don't know when I'll get an answer because he's so busy these days.

I did get a reply from him yesterday in that he said he would have a look but I reckon he must have gotten side tracked.

Offline mecanicogolf

• Rehab is where to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 06:18:44 am »
Great! I'll be around. No hurry.  With the backup, I'm doing good now.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 05:07:04 pm by mecanicogolf »
mecanicogolf

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 06:20:42 am »
Okay - I was in the process of emailing Shane when I saw the notification of your new post.

Offline mecanicogolf

• Rehab is where to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 05:11:03 pm »
Just a reminder:
After all this time I thought it was the new MB 3.0.5 that was messing me up. Now that I have my PC exactly the way it was before the new version of MB, I now know it´s something in the tweaking.com repairs that is messing up my Action Center and giving me an error. And everytime I run tweaking repairs, I have to restore the registry.
mecanicogolf

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 12:31:54 am »
While the brief description of the amendments to produce the new 3.9.23 may not apply to you, can you update to that version and run it to see if you get the same problem.

I'll give Shane a bump on this after your next reply if he hasn't come back before then.

Offline mecanicogolf

• Rehab is where to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 05:12:49 pm »
OK. I have Windows Repair Pro. (Have for almost 3 years now). I downloaded 3.9.23 yesterday and ran the repairs in Safe Mode.
Got esactly the same thing. Everything runs fine on the computer but it is imposible to open the Action Center and, of course, I get the red flag tell me to activate. I the went to the Services and tried to activate there (tried to start it, but to no avail).

I´ve been thinking: Since all of this started with the update of MB 3.0.5, I wonder if there are remnance of it still in the registry? I wonder if they have an uninstall tool? I´ll look around and see.

I´ll wait and see what Shane has to say.
mecanicogolf

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 11:05:56 pm »
I've been playing around with Malwarebytes 3.0 since it was released and keeping an eye on their forum - it's taken me a while to get it to run sweetly, certainly not with MSE but now works fine with Avast Free apart from some as yet unresolved anomalies with System Information Folder which are on their list of bugs to be fixed.

They claim you don't need a separate uninstall tool but should use the uninstaller that ships with version 3.
Iain

ThinkPad T450s W10 Pro x64
Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Premium
Macrium Reflect 7 Home, Tweaking WRAIO Pro

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 01:43:59 am »
MBAM have their own uninstaller in the form of mbam-clean.exe.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/customer/portal/articles/1835311-how-do-i-uninstall-malwarebytes-anti-malware-?b_id=6438

However, the System Update readiness Tool (SURT) can repair services if you want to give that a go.

Select the appropriate version from https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/947821/fix-windows-update-errors-by-using-the-dism-or-system-update-readiness-tool

It's a 533MB download so it's worth selecting Save should you need it in future and its log can be found in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS then double click on the Checksur 0ne.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 01:51:33 am by Boggin »

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 02:17:57 am »
Boggin - I can't find the relevant posts on the Malwarebytes forum but I'm pretty sure that the Malwarebytes AntiMalware uninstallation tool is for MBAM v. 2 (and earlier?) but doesn't completely uninstall Malwarebytes 3.0. I'm sure I read a post from one of the staff to use the Uninstall feature of Malwarebytes 3.0 - but damned if I can find it........
Iain

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 02:33:29 am »
You're probably right - some program uninstaller instructions say which version of the program they apply to, but as the article I've linked is probably a bit dated, it may no longer apply to v3.0

I've just checked MBAM in All Progs and it has its Uninstaller listed underneath just as I've seen for other apps (I hate that term :)).

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2017, 03:03:00 am »
You're probably right - some program uninstaller instructions say which version of the program they apply to, but as the article I've linked is probably a bit dated, it may no longer apply to v3.0

I've just checked MBAM in All Progs and it has its Uninstaller listed underneath just as I've seen for other apps (I hate that term :)).

Me too  :rolleyes:
Iain

Offline mecanicogolf

• Rehab is where to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2017, 06:40:52 pm »
Can´t wait any longer-
Ran the newest update of 3,9,24 and it´s now even worse.

When I run the repair, not only does it block my Action Center so I cannot enter, it now blocks my malwarebytes 3.06 program and will not let it open. Says there is an error and program will not start.

I restore again and all is well, but tweaking.com repair cannot be used on this PC. Pity.

Awaiting any news

Richard
mecanicogolf