Author Topic: UAC popup prompt switches between blue and yellow sporadically  (Read 13455 times)

Offline KR

• View Profile
UAC popup prompt switches between blue and yellow sporadically
« on: January 22, 2017, 12:20:50 pm »
UAC warning switches back and forth between blue to yellow, for system items e.g. services, event viewer, etc

Hello Forum,
I experience this lately, after using the repair tool, but I'm not sure if it was caused by it.

I have a few shortcuts that I put on my start menu to have quick access to commonly used items as:
- open admin. command prompt in one click
- access to ‘view hidden files’ in Folder Handling in one click
- empty all event logs in event viewer (downoalded script) in one click
- empty clipboard (   “   )
In shortcut properties “Run as Administrator” is ticked
Here is the problem:
The UAC warning/prompt always used to pop up in blue, but lately it is yellow for a while, then changes back to blue…??? and so on … from one day to the next or several times a day...
The same goes for opening some system items as services or event viewer
It is sporadically and I didn’t change anything

I read up on it and it supposed to be related to
“known” and “unknown” applications – "digitally signed" or not – "trusted" or not
Why is it changing on its own and can an application be set to be trusted once and for all?  (system apps in my case - not talking about acknowledged programs, whichhave no prompt at all) 
I noticed that all the above are sitting in C\...\System32 ... e.g cmd.exe or he one for services ...

as I'm typing it went back to normal (after startup and after a few minutes running themachine) ... meaning NO prompt for e.g. services, and for custom one back to blue ... but for how long ... next startup back to yellow and everything is prompted...

Info: Win7, 64 bit, I’m the administrator and only user
Thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: UAC popup prompt switches between blue and yellow sporadically
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 03:41:21 pm »
Open the program and use Option 5 to restore the registry and then see if it continues.

Why did you need to run the program ?

Offline KR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 04:31:47 pm »
The program got rid of a couple of anoining warnings in Event Viewer and seems to be reliable for optimizing things. No specific major problem.
If I open the program and go to option 5 I go to Registry Backup > Restore I see 2 groups:
   - User> MyName
   - User registry Files

From there I go: Restore Registry ...but its empty .... nothing there .. I always chooese "Registry Backup - Recommended"

anyways - the phenominon is sporatic - when ever I boot up it might be all yellow prompts for regular system tasks, eg. open Services ... or prompts are blue and only pop up with certain custom tasks, which is normal.

Why am I the administrator at one time and not at another - why would a regular Windows task, e.g. open services, need permission and claim that it is an "unknown" program

Just trying to discribe as good as I can

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 05:40:12 am by KR »

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 08:24:30 pm »
It will set your UaC settings back to default did you have it set as non prompt which does not require a reboot I believe.
Julian

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 12:40:23 am »
For info - when using the program's registry restore, use the dropdown to populate the box to select the back up you want to restore with.

Offline KR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 05:37:18 am »
Thank you Boggin - yes - I see the restore point
Question: in case I don't see any changes / advantages after restoring to earlier - can I reverse the restore / get the registry forward again - so to speak - to current / before restoring?

Julian - I'm not sure what you are saying.
But if Tweakingtool did set UAC to default/changed anything - how to prevent it next time I use the tool?
And how to set it again to non-prompt, as you say? If you are talking about the slider :never notify" ... no .. I did not, and don't want to

And it still does not answer the question why it switches from bluie to yellow to blue - sporadically? .. for system applications...

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 05:44:18 am by KR »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 08:49:07 am »
I'm not sure if creating a registry backup before reverting would give you that.

Offline KR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 11:37:12 am »
No - the backup is already existing-Jan8-...slight missunderstanding
Just asking: if I restore the registry to an earlier point and find out that it did NOT fix my problem, can I reverse the restore to present?

Thanks

Offline KR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 11:58:43 am »
Hey guys - want to update:
I'm of course experimenting and it seems to not happen when I leave the computer idle for a little while after start up = no yellow prompts then. ...all blue as it supposed to be ...so:

could there be a service or something starting up later which assigns my admin. priviliges / recognizes (custom) system apps?

Thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 03:53:06 pm »
No - the backup is already existing-Jan8-...slight missunderstanding
Just asking: if I restore the registry to an earlier point and find out that it did NOT fix my problem, can I reverse the restore to present?

Thanks

It's the same sort of thing.

If you created a reg back up now and then restored to Jan 8 - would today's backup still exist.

Probably better to create a system image onto external media of what you have now and then use the Jan 8 one.

Offline KR

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 07:28:23 pm »
Thank you Boggin,
is there a way or4 use to address the riginal question:
Why would admin priviliges / prompting (UAC) for regular services switch between yellow warning and blue one, sporadically?

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 07:37:07 pm »
hmmm here is something to keep in mind.

"There's four colors. Blue means a Windows component wants permission, grey means a signed app that's not part of Windows wants permission, yellow means an unsigned app wants permission, and red means that this app has been blocked outright usually from a group policy."
Julian

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 07:41:39 pm »
wait ver .24 has a repair for windows 10 uac on windows 10 system update your windows repair to the current version let me know  :cheesy:
Julian

Offline KR

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 07:44:35 pm »
exactly ... and I'm getting for the same services, as some custome ones like direct shortcut to even viewer, but alo regular one like opening services ... sometimes in blue (as normal for the custom ones (not signed) and none for e.g. opening  services) .. but sometime yellow!!! ...  for all of them ... how come sometimes Windows does not trust it's own system features -  for the same person / administrator?

Offline KR

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2017, 08:11:02 am »
Hi Folks...
the problem is solved!
... please read the initial post since it got a bit side-tracked.

The culprit is / was Malwarebytes ... since it's new pro-version it has real-time protection "on", which is working fine and a very good feature as MB in general is one of the best.
However - real-time protectio (4 different items) interfeers with certain system applications (aswith my constant prompts) but also makes other system processes slower.
Yes - MB's real-time protection does aledgedly NOT interfeer with an existing Anti Virus (it worked fine, hand in hand with mine (Webroot), but is also not necessary if you have another Anti Virus.
So - I turned real-time features off / use MB only for occasional scanning for malware (as I always did) - turned off start-up at boot and automatic updates ... all good!!!! back to normal ... no yellow prompts anymore for regular tasks e.g. opening event viewer, etc.  ... and things are faster again...... and of course ...no blame on Tweaking Tool!!

I thought it might be interesting to anyone in the future experiencing the same anoying problem
Malwarebyte's real-time protection seems to not only protect from incoming threats but also harrasses established, installed, even system items .. a bit over the edge in my oppinion

Thanks all for your time

« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 11:28:29 am by KR »

Offline KR

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2017, 11:47:29 am »
Amendment:
I narrowed it down more ...
In Malwarebytes > Settings there is a choice for how much MB can get involved in "Account Control" - which probably stands for UAC / User Account Control in Windows.
click "Never" ... that does it ... prompts behave normally
However - now I'm not completely sure if disabling real-time protection is still involved