Author Topic: Windows 10 No icons  (Read 9171 times)

Offline Reece

• View Profile
Windows 10 No icons
« on: January 24, 2017, 12:09:00 am »
Hi, I recently purchased a new laptop and after 2 weeks backed up the system with Veeam backup, about a week later on startup the computer had lost all its icons.
This included on screen, control panel, taskbar, file manager etc, I had recycle bin on the desktop that also had no icon.
The Icon titles (text) is all showing, for some reason system files on some of these icon locations work but applications don't.
I ran the Tweaker, took about 2.5 hours to complete (the register repairer was intriguing to watch) but didn't fix the problem.
Restoring the backup fixes it but doesn't last long and the problem is back.
Any advice appreciated? :confused:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 No icons
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 03:35:51 am »
Have a read through this article which has a number of suggestions which have worked for others, but it's puzzling that having restored with a working image that the problem should return.

https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/13060-desktop-icons-have-disappeared.html

Offline Reece

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 04:02:43 am »
Getting late here so I will investigate the link tomorrow, I did have a quick look and I am using an external usb keyboard and monitor (HDMI), so hopefully a fix coming. :thinking:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 04:12:05 am »
Hope at least one of them works out :)

Offline Reece

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 04:25:48 pm »
I went through the whole 7 pages trying all suggestions but didn't fix it!! :cry:
I noticed that in file explorer going to any files in a folder no icons shown at all. Also I noted that 64 bit applications don't work, only 32 bit.
Can Windows 10 Home Edition just change from 64 bit to 32 bit? :confused:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 05:20:22 pm »
No it can't but it's interesting that only 32 bit applications work, although not sure what it tells me (as yet).

While I've only used 64 bit Windows, I think you would get something to tell you if you were installing a 64 bit program onto a 32 bit system.

As this is a new computer, have you considered taking it back under warranty and let the retailer sort it ?

You shouldn't have to chew on with a new machine like this.

Offline Reece

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 07:57:53 pm »
I live in a country town and the dealer is over 150kms away. The most annoying thing is the 3 weeks of setting up with applications would be lost and since the laptop and Windows 10 came in a factory sealed box I would say it would have to go back to ASUS. What a pain, this unit cost me $1500.
I will probably have to reinstall windows from scratch but typical these machines don't come with a Windows disk!! :sad:
Thanks anyway, if I have some sort of success I will post the findings. :smiley:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 03:21:23 am »
I've always bought my laptops locally so was able to take them back to the shop for any warranty repairs, although they didn't include software problems as they could have been because as a result of what I'd installed since new.

As the problem returns even after restoring with the image, are you installing anything after that could be the cause of this ?

The absence of an install disk for an OEM machine isn't the same problem as it used to be with say, a Win 7 machine.

You can create your own install disk by hitting the Download tool now button in https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 but read the section on creating installation media.

With install media you can perform a repair install that won't affect your programs of personal files.

It may be best to restore with the image before proceeding with this so that you have a functional machine.

After the restore, right click on the taskbar and select Task Manager and under the Startup tab, disable all items.

The only item I have enabled in my Startup menu is for the Realtek HD Audio Manager.

If this is the first time you've accessed the Task Manager then you may have to click on More details on the lower left for it to populate.

Then go Start - type msconfig and press enter.

Under the Services tab check the box to Hide all Microsoft services then click on Disable all - Apply - OK then reboot.

It is essential you check that box before hitting Disable all.

If the cause is because of what you already have installed, then performing what is known as a clean boot may help to ID the cause if you no longer get the problem after the reboot.

For the repair install, if you are using a 3rd party antivirus program then I've found it's best to disable both its AV and Firewall aspects as it can baulk the main second reboot around the 70% mark.

With the machine booted, open Windows explorer - This PC - insert the install media and double click on it to start the install process.

I find the install can go smoother when I opt not to look for updates and then you can go into Settings/Update & Security and do a manual check for updates where they will download and install to bring your system back up to the current 1607 14393.693

I perform a repair install on one of my upgraded laptops now and again as Win 10 doesn't seem to sit as well on it as it does on another upgraded laptop and will use this method instead of running a repair programs.

Offline Reece

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 04:24:28 am »
As the problem returns even after restoring with the image, are you installing anything after that could be the cause of this ?
After the last restore I uninstall McAfee, had to reboot, still ok, then I installed the Tweaker, set to start in safe mode, rebooted and it came in with the problem.
One  of the things I did install prior was "Add_Take_Ownership_to_context_menu.reg", so that I could change some program ini files I had installed, I did change a couple of folders one was the games I'd installed but can't remember what the other was, would this cause the problem? :shy:
I have copied your details on rebuilding Win 10, I might take a break before doing that!! :thinking:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 07:06:58 am »
Other than some early user prompted input, you can leave the computer to just get on with the repair install - I do :)

Did you use the McAfee Uninstaller to remove it as Windows Uninstall can leave active components which can cause anomalous problems when another 3rd party AV program is installed - not sure how that would work with Windows Defender though if you have just fallen back to that.

Windows is a strange beast and it doesn't take much to upset it.

McAfee came preinstalled on my Toshiba Win 7 laptops which I had to uninstall before I could install my Norton Security and I would run the MCPR.exe twice, rebooting after each run.

I never bothered activating it first or used Windows to uninstall it before using the MCPR.exe

https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/articleview?articleId=TS101331&_afrLoop=3066454698742342#!%40%40%3F_afrLoop%3D3066454698742342%26articleId%3DTS101331%26centerWidth%3D100%2525%26leftWidth%3D0%2525%26rightWidth%3D0%2525%26showFooter%3Dfalse%26showHeader%3Dfalse%26_adf.ctrl-state%3D7crtkckp9_49

Offline Reece

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 03:00:19 pm »
I had downloaded the tool but McAfee's site said the best method for uninstalling on Windows 10 was Windows uninstaller, I noticed your link is the one I read, do you think I should restore again and try with the  tool?
This was the third restore and just remembered that the first time I had this problem McAfee was still running, I think your advice on rebuilding the system would be  the best shot. :smiley:  Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 03:27:01 pm by Reece »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 04:23:46 pm »
If McAfee was running on its 30 day free trial then it would have disabled Windows Defender and wouldn't have been causing a conflict.

For belt 'n braces you can still run the MCPR.exe and McAfee doesn't need to be reinstalled, although I didn't read the bit for Win 10 in the article.

It's always been advocated to run an AV program's Uninstaller to ensure all of the bits are removed, but that was pre-Win 10 days.

Can you open Control Panel and under System & Security click on View your computer's status then expand Security where it will tell you what is looking after your machine.

I think it's best to go for the repair install as well.

Offline Reece

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 08:26:41 pm »
I'm a little confused here! :shy:
Do you mean to do this now with the problem, or after a repair install done on a restored version Windows prior to the problem?

Edit: I went to the Microsoft link and for language it gives English or English International, my computer has English Australia, they say it has to match mine.
Everything has to be complicated nowadays!!! :rolleyes:

I went for English but the download is 4Gb and is too much for my system ISP here in the country, I will have to try and get my son in Adelaide to download it for me, this just gets worse!!
My old PC that I am using is XP Pro, loved it and it has a CD with key!!! :cry:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 10:11:40 pm by Reece »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 03:33:38 am »
It would be best to ensure there weren't any remnants of McAfee before the repair install.

Windows Updates when they come must take a chunk out of your monthly allowance then ?