Author Topic: DNS Cache  (Read 6212 times)

Offline Samson

• View Profile
DNS Cache
« on: September 19, 2012, 11:30:36 am »
Running Firefox in private browsing, with Windows XP DNS client service disabled, I have found that browsing and page load times are faster than with the DNS client service enabled. I use Norton connectsafe (DNS servers) set on my Netgear router (DG834G V4)

My question is why is this so? I thought that  DNS caching was supposed to speed up browsing, without constant look ups. Does my router cache DNS look ups? Or is my browsing quicker with the DNS client disabled because I am using a slow, old machine (1.2GHz Celeron, with 512MB (100MHz) RAM, and Norton DNS is just quicker than my machine is at reading it's cache?

It's not a problem, quite the opposite really as I've got a faster response time, but a bit puzzling nonetheless....Or am I missing something really obvious here?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: DNS Cache
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 11:35:05 am »
I think it just has more to do with what DNS servers XP was using. Not sure why turning off the cache would make things faster.

Shane

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Re: DNS Cache
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 11:41:31 am »
It was the same servers Norton connectsafe (DNS). set on the router, the only difference in "before/ after" was disabling DNS client service....I just can't figure it, but it works fine, better than before  :cheesy: So I think I'll just stick with it for now.

Thanks Shane.