Author Topic: Windows Repair made a mess of things  (Read 8898 times)

Offline highstream

• View Profile
Windows Repair made a mess of things
« on: February 04, 2017, 10:46:36 am »
I've been having big problems getting from a good working Win 10 1507 to a not so friendly 1607 anniversary edition, as detailed in a thread on the Win 10 forums - https://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/74815-update-1511-1607-failing-4.html#post929317. For the past week, I've settled in with 1607 and been trying to sort remaining difficulties, the last two being 1) restarts that hung (cold boots ok), and 2) desktop icons not responding properly since an in-place repair install. I had been using Yamicsoft's Windows 10 Manager wihtout problems, but someone last night suggested your program, so I tried the free version, step by step, without stopping anything midstream. Here were the results:

- Going to the Safe Mode reboot, the program generated the first hung startup in about 10 tries (it did come back out to normal mode ok)

- It changed dozens of my default file associations and default programs, which meant a good hour spent fixing them. And to add to that, each change now takes three to four times as long for the system to complete as it typically has.

- If it solved any problems, I'm not aware of it, which is not to say it didn't. It definitely did not solve the problem with desktop icons not opening properly (detailed at https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/76568-desktop-icons-not-responding-first-click-opening-other-icons.html#post929816).

Your program leaves me with the impression it's designed for users that don't customize.

Update: I discovered after writing the above that Safe Mode desktop no longer had icons.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 01:02:36 pm by highstream »

Offline highstream

• View Profile
Re: Windows Repair made a mess of things
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 03:09:56 pm »
In looking over the instructions again, I failed to run the power drain step before starting the program. However, I'm not sure that would have changed the reset of file type associations.  Is there a way to prevent the program from doing that?

Also, the power step refers to pulling the battery if it's a laptop. Is it also necessary for a desktop computer too or will using the power button to drain the charge suffice? The battery on my ASRock mobo is not in the easiest place to get to without removing some things.  Thanks,
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 03:20:36 pm by highstream »

Offline jpm

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 03:23:04 pm »
yeah - Uncheck the repair file associations (item 23). Then it shouldn't touch them.

Offline highstream

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 03:30:26 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply.  What about the battery?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 03:34:43 pm by highstream »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 03:41:09 pm »
The battery only applies to a laptop as you need to remove all power sources to perform a cold boot - it doesn't apply to the CMOS battery that is on the motherboards.

Offline highstream

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 10:13:21 pm »
yeah - Uncheck the repair file associations (item 23). Then it shouldn't touch them.

This didn't turn out to be good advice or, at least, sufficiently good advice. Even with item 23 entirely unchecked, during the reboot after repair has been run, notice after notice have come up - more as I write this - saying an app caused problems and the app default has been reset (screenshot).  There were 50+ that had been reset.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 02:54:35 pm by highstream »

Offline highstream

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 12:37:41 pm »
How can I keep the program from resetting *any* file associations, or at least come very close?

The last run seems to have resulted in the desktop icons coming back in Safe Mode and their responding to single click. It also got explore.exe to run quietly or idle as it should.  Now, the problem is normal mode, where the desktop icons are very slow - 30 secs to two mins or more - to open on one click, if they open at all short of two clicks, and explore.exe churns constantly at around 16-18%.  Is there anything to know about running the Tweaking repair in normal mode?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 12:43:57 pm by highstream »

Offline jpm

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 10:04:26 am »
what app is being reset?

Offline highstream

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 10:16:00 am »
The notices don't say, but judging from what associations were changed to "Movies & TV" or "Groove Music," I'd say most likely Zoom Player Max, foobar2000 and maybe VLC player.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 11:02:18 am by highstream »

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 11:29:58 pm »
alright so Shane has been investigating this and he fully explained this to me so what is going on is any time the registry is touched it does not matter if it is set back to default or modified MS has set the apps to restore settings to defaults. It's been frustrating me.   :teeth:
Julian

Offline highstream

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 11:36:39 pm »
Frustrating is apt. Thanks for the explanation.