Author Topic: Read Only Folders  (Read 11930 times)

Offline ReefstoneMIDI

• View Profile
Read Only Folders
« on: February 25, 2017, 02:02:35 pm »
As the title suggests, my folders are read only. My Microsoft programs are working but third party apps are not able to save files, even when run as administrator. I'm running Windows 10 on a desktop.

I've tried resetting, in the properties, the read only square to be blank but to no avail.

I tried using the command prompt. Didn't work, even though it said it did.

I also tried resetting permissions for my user account. No luck.

Finally, I happened upon the tweaking.com repair program, and I tried using the registry and permissions resets (Options 1 and 2, which seemed the most relevant for my issue.) Neither one worked, and now I'm here.

I'm attaching a screenshot so it can be understood what exactly is going on here:

I've exhausted all of my options that I know about, so is there anything I can do about this? Should I use different options on the repair program? Other solutions?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Read Only Folders
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 02:36:14 am »
Had you downloaded anything prior to this happening and do you have any restore points that can take you back to before it did ?

When you select one, check the box for Scan for affected programs so that you will know if you need to reinstall anything, but it may also pinpoint a program/update that could have been the cause.

Have you ran an antimalware scan, say with the free version of MBAM ?

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

Go into Settings/My Account to end the Premium trial so that you don't keep getting the pop ups.

Offline ReefstoneMIDI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 07:05:32 am »
I just ran the Malwarebytes scan. It revealed 2 security threat programs, neither of which were installed around the time this happened. Should I get rid of them anyways? (I don't need them.)

I've got a lot of programs and drivers on the system restore, on both the "to be restored" and "to be removed" sides. One windows update each side.

There's three restores like this, one of which is described as a "Critical Update" for Windows:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 08:24:18 am »
MBAM has probably picked them up as PuPs and if you don't use them then yes, get rid of them.

Why have you uninstalled that Redistributable ?

A program or service that is dependent upon it will no longer work - is that about the time you got this problem ?

On this Win 10 laptop I got an update for Adobe Flash Player on the 22nd Feb. and the MSRT one on the 23rd - not sure if each of those could be deemed as critical, but using the auto restore point will just result in any updates just being reinstalled, so you could start with that one.

Offline ReefstoneMIDI

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 03:31:24 pm »
Okay, I just ran the second restore. That failed on its own after about 45 minutes, so I decided to do the third restore- that wouldn't fail (waited 1 hr 30 min) even after a. turning off Norton antivirus and b. trying again after a power reset.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 01:03:16 am »
Even though you tried it with Norton disabled, try the restore points in Safe Mode, but don't forget to check the box to Scan for affected programs first to see what it snags.

You haven't answered why you uninstalled the Redistributable or if that was when the problem started.

Offline ReefstoneMIDI

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 01:26:10 pm »
I'm pretty sure I got rid of the Redistributable when I updated it or it updated itself or something of the sort, but I'll get it back just to make sure that's not causing additional issues.

The problems started about a week ago. So no, not around the time that the Redistributable was uninstalled.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 02:49:03 pm »
Well that would take you back to around the time of the Windows Update, but if they were the same as I got then I doubt they would be the cause.

Update history will tell you what was installed.

Have you tried the restore points in Safe Mode ?

Offline ReefstoneMIDI

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 03:11:03 pm »
Not yet, as it seems my password isn't working (I usually use a PIN, but I thought I knew the password just in case). I will try when I figure out what my password is.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 03:25:57 pm »
Perhaps this article will help you with that - https://www.howtogeek.com/222262/how-to-reset-your-forgotten-password-in-windows-10/

I don't know what it means by Utility Manager in the article, but from the desktop press CTRL+ALT+DEL and select Task Manager.

Click on File/Run new task > type cmd.exe and check the box to Create this task with admin privileges and press enter, which will open an admin cmd prompt.

Offline ReefstoneMIDI

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 03:30:48 pm »
I've tried all of my restores in Safe Mode with no result. There was an additional one, but it appears my restore storage ran out, and seeing as it was the last one, it was deleted. I think that was the only one before the problems started, so I'm likely out of luck. Is there anything else I can do or am I just going to have to reinstall?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 03:49:29 pm »
Before you do that, can you create another admin account should it be because of a corrupt profile.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 02:16:34 am »
Previously I was thinking you would have to do this for each folder to do it manually and had forgot that you can do it en-bloc for C:

Open Windows Explorer - right click on Windows (C) and select Properties.

Under the Security tab click on Advanced - Change Permissions - highlight the User - Edit

In the Applies to dropdown select This folder, subfolders and files then check the box for Full Control - OK

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 08:58:29 am »
That procedure seems to work on a Win 7 machine but when I checked it on a Win 10 machine, it seems to be different.

A Google search found this article where the procedure is a bit more involved -  http://blog.switchfast.com/solved-windows-10-upgrade-changed-all-documents-to-read-only

Offline ReefstoneMIDI

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 04:59:08 pm »
I tried both, neither method worked for me.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2017, 12:14:02 am »
Did you try creating another admin account to see if it was because of a corrupt profile ?

I'm not sure if the file association repairs in the program would do it, but I'll ask for some advice on this as the steps in that article didn't resolve.

Offline ReefstoneMIDI

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2017, 04:13:40 pm »
I did so I could change the password. I checked and it was still on read only on the other account.

Offline jpm

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com

Offline ReefstoneMIDI

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2017, 05:54:46 pm »
Yes, that did not work either.

Offline ReefstoneMIDI

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2017, 05:50:20 pm »
Honestly, I'm not sure what to do anymore, even the DOS stuff mentioned earlier isn't working. Is there no chance of anything fixing this other than a full reinstall?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2017, 12:35:35 am »
I'm not sure if this will do anything for you or not but open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter sfc /scannow to see what that reports.

If it reports it is unable to repair some files then enter -

dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

If that reports the volume is repairable then enter these -

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

This can take a while to run.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

This one can appear to hang at 20% but will complete.

sfc /scannow

to see if it still reports corruption - if it does then you probably are looking at a reinstall.

A repair install using an install disk may do it which doesn't affect your installed programs or personal stuff, but Win 10 has its own Reset facility.

It can keep your personal stuff but will remove any programs you have installed since getting the computer.

Offline ReefstoneMIDI

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2017, 11:44:57 am »
It doesn't report corruption or anything at all, even before the /restorehealth and stuff like that. It just says there's no integrity violations, and nothing else.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2017, 01:31:18 pm »
You could try a repair install rather than a clean install or Windows own reset where it will keep your personal stuff but not any 3rd party programs.