Main Forum > Tweaking.com Support & Help

Unable to change firewall settings after Trojan attack....

(1/3) > >>

spook45:
I have a thread going on the Emsisoft site and ShadowPuterDude (admin) suggested that I try you Windows Repair tool to see if it would fix my problem. First of all this is running on Windows 7 x64 Home Premium with 8gb RAM and a 2TB Drive.

I downloaded the current version of the tool and ran it as ShadowPuterDude instructed me. Whenever I go to check the status of the firewall it indicates that my firewall is not set to the reccomended setting. When I click on the button to set to reccomended settings I get an error message stating "cannot change some of your settings: error code 0x80070424"

Can you shed any light on this or suggest a possible fix. My wife and I are a little skittish about running the system without knowing whether or not the firewall is set to the correct state.

Shane:
What repairs did he have you run?

The Windows firewall rely on WMI as well. And permissions can play a big role.

So try the reset reg permissions, WMI and the firewall repairs and let me know how it goes. Make sure to reboot after :wink:

Shane

spook45:
I have my wife's desktop (infected and having problems) and my laptop. Both of them are running Win7. I have tried to compare the services between the two and the one that sticks out is 'bfe'. It is running on my laptop and not on the desktop.

I tried running WR (advanced) default settings and that did not start bfe. One suggestion I have got so far is to reinstall SP1 for Win7. Would that help? I don't see 'bfe' as a repair option on your list under advanced. I am grasping for straws here. I am just about to point of reinstalling Win7 but I would really hate to blow my wife's HD to hell. She has all her applications installed and it would really be a job to get it back the way it was. Any suggestions or help would greatly be appreciated.

Shane:
The one thing I will never have my repair program do (And why it will never be perfect) is change registry settings. Its like playing with fire. One wrong setting and a persons system is down.

So when a infection messes up the reg settings the best and safest thing to do is a reinstall.

First you can try a repair reinstall. If that doesn't fix it you will need to do a normal reinstall.

So far your problems don't seem to be permissions related. It looks more like reg keys where changed or removed.

While I may add a few reg settings (Only safe ones) down the road. The best thing you can do at this point is a reinstall :wink:

Do you need any info on how to do a repair install?

Shane

spook45:
Yes please. I have never done a repair reinstall.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version