Author Topic: Can I know what will the "Repair Network" function do in the tweaking tool?  (Read 5448 times)

Offline aronwaltlee

• View Profile
I'm interested in the "Repair Network" function of the tweaking tool. In the Repair Info for "Repair Network" it seems no more details there.

Can I know what will it do? Thank you!

Offline aronwaltlee

• View Profile
I noticed one post on Microsoft social technet
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/df17c593-e78f-4878-97b0-7569307934c5/windows-7-states-im-not-connected-to-any-networks-when-in-fact-i-am-connected-to-my-wireless?forum=w7itpronetworking

Something blocked by the permission of the key below
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList

I checked tweaking repair network function doesn't change that key (Using ProcMon)
But from my side it can fix it. So I'm very curious what do the tweaking tool do after trigger the "Repair Network" function.

Please advise. Thank you!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
From NetworkList expand Profiles and Signatures/Unmanaged and you'll see the keys for the SSID and Ethernet (Network).

If you've had other routers connected, you'll also see their SSIDs which if no longer required, you can right click on and delete.

The program won't touch those - if it removed the SSID key then when you rebooted you would have to re-enter the wireless password and you would need to be wired for the Network one to be recreated.

Generally to repair the network, would execute these cmds, but I'll ask for you to confirm -

netsh winsock reset

net int ip reset resetlog.txt

Which require a reboot to effect.

However, Win 10 has a Network Reset function of its own and can also be effected with the elevated cmd netcfg -d

That cmd though is specific to Win 10, although if you open a cmd prompt and enter netcfg /? you will be able to see what other parameters you can use with it for your version of Windows.

In Win 10 the netcfg -d completely resets the Network adapters, even if they are missing from Network adapters in Device Manager.

It also updates network adapters drivers where there is an update available, which I found annoying as I had to reinstall my older Win 7 one.