Author Topic: Windows 10 issue setting permissions  (Read 6238 times)

Offline BenjyvC

• View Profile
Windows 10 issue setting permissions
« on: May 26, 2017, 12:38:48 pm »
I'm still relatively new to Windows, decades in Mac OS, having an issue in Windows 10 with permissions. I noticed this issue while trying to edit/save as a macro script in 3DS Max (Autodesk modeling app), message pops up informing me I don't have permissions to save to this location. The location here is C: Program Files> Autodesk> 3ds Max 2017> scripts folder. I clearly had permissions to save here before, since that's where the original version of this script resides.

When I rightclick the scripts folder and enter Properties I see Read Only checked, so I uncheck it, but it won't take, always reverts to checked. Under Security> CREATOR OWNER I've tried checking Allow for Full control, Modify, and Write, but clicking Apply clears those check boxes. The user has Administrator privileges.

After Microsoft support ran me through some steps, they determined I needed to be escalated, wanting over $100 for a support ticket. I've never encountered anything like this on the Mac side, frankly, but not to whine. I'm more inclined to troubleshoot my problems, so hunted online, was referred here to tweaking.com, ran the free version, seems a host of things were found and repaired, ran repair twice and disk check in between as recommended, but the behavior with permissions persists.

Many thanks for any guidance, your time is much appreciated.

Benjy

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 issue setting permissions
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 02:16:12 pm »
Which version build of Win 10 are you on ?

Go Start - type winver and press enter where a window will pop up to give those details.

I'll pass this on for advice.

Offline BenjyvC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 02:18:49 pm »
Thanks. I'm in Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.1198)

Much appreciated.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 02:20:44 pm »
It's been suggested you try this to change the Permissions, but read through the article.

https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/11394-windows-10-says-i-dont-have-permission-save-anything.html

Offline BenjyvC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 06:39:18 am »
Many thanks, that first list of suggestions did the trick.

This is really confusing. I see so many others on that link that yet had to dig deeper and deeper, so many efforts to correct a simple system preference.

I wish I understood it, but afraid if I committed to that, I'd have a PhD in something that only relates to the smell of burnt rubber associated with trying to fix a simple system pref. If it weren't for generous forum folks... again, big thanks.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 06:47:07 am »
It was jpm who is one of the forum's Admins who sent me that link after asking his advice, so it's thanks to him, but glad to see that it helped and thanks for the update.