Author Topic: TCRB on Windows 10 issue.  (Read 6842 times)

Offline wallpapermalware

• View Profile
TCRB on Windows 10 issue.
« on: May 24, 2017, 02:15:05 pm »
On 2 different window 10 computers TCRB defaults to the "Fallback" method of backing up the registry. When the method is complete, the program displays something like: "Failed 14/15 Registry Files Backed Up".  Neither computers display an error message other than what I have posted.

When I check the VSS for this: "vssadmin list writers" on the one computer I have, the results are all "Last error: No Error"

Before I run the "volume shadow copy repair tool", I would like to know if there is anything else I should check for as I am weary of applying a fix without knowing the cause.

Also, is there anything in the logs produced by TCRB that would point to the problem?

Added:
I just noticed that the bottom of the program has a report function for the VSS. It shows/states:
Volume Shadow Copy running: No.
Volume Shadow Copy Ready: No.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 02:22:35 pm by wallpapermalware »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: TCRB on Windows 10 issue.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 02:52:44 pm »
You could create a system image onto external media before running the program but right click on the start button and select Command Prompt (Admin) and enter these cmds.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Then enter sfc /scannow to see if it reports any corruption it is unable to repair.

BTW - which version of Win 10 are you using - 32 or 64 bit etc. plus go Start - type winver and press enter and that will tell you the build you are on.

Offline wallpapermalware

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 04:13:51 pm »
So sorry for omitting that little detail. They are both 64 bit versions.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 12:20:32 am »
Although it tells me it's using the Fallback method, I don't get any such messages about the VSC service, but I've asked for advice on this.

I also need to know which build of Win 10 you are using should I consider a repair install would be the best way to go on this.

If you don't have a Win 10 install disk/USB, I will need to know to which ISO I need to point you to.

What are the results of those two cmds I've asked you to run.

Offline wallpapermalware

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 11:31:32 am »
Running the instructions you gave in Reply #1 corrected whatever error there was so the program now completes the backup using the fallback method.  :wink:
I am not sure the reason for the program not selecting the Volume Shadow Copy Service.  :confused:
The build of the windows 10 computer I have access to is 14393. I have a photograph of the program after it had completed the backup. I will try to get it in the next post.

Offline wallpapermalware

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 11:48:36 am »

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 12:07:06 pm »
The fallback method is the default, to use VSC uncheck "Always use Fallback backup method Instead of Volume Shadow Copy" in Advanced settings.

See screenshot attached.

Offline wallpapermalware

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 05:43:46 pm »
It would be nice if the instructions included this. :undecided:

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 09:11:00 am »
I'm pretty sure that it was changed so the fallback was the default so that users could back up their registry before using the repair program even if the VSC was broken. Which may have been the reason for them using the repair program in the first place. I take that it is working OK for you now?