Author Topic: Repair  (Read 4772 times)

Offline chaos19

• View Profile
Repair
« on: June 02, 2017, 07:29:11 am »
Hi, i followed all the instructions and saw a few errors while the program was running, it completed running, now when i try and open some of my desktop icons they are not opening with "not responding" message or do not open at all  :rolleyes:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Repair
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 08:10:40 am »
There are a number of the repairs that could have caused that, from the icon cache to file associations, but I don't know why.

Open the program and use Option 5 to restore the registry.

Click on the Registry Restore tab then use the dropdown to select the restore and then Restore now.

What was the reason you ran the repair program and which version of Windows are you using ?

Offline chaos19

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 08:45:05 am »
Hi, thanks for the fast reply, Win 10 pro build 15063.332. I did set both registry and restore before the run, tried to restore but would not complete, but now everything is working again so not sure what happened, not a computer expert. The reason for running the program was getting some strange things every now and then.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 10:07:02 am »
I'm running the same version of Win 10 and if no fix is apparent I'll usually repair install, although having restored with a registry back up got an error that the profile couldn't be loaded and that put me in a loop of Log out/Log in.

I booted up with an install disk and used my restore points which fixed.

If you are getting quirky events then I'd perform a chkdsk /r to see what that reports regarding bad sectors.

You could also run a memtest but if you have more than one RAM module fitted, then it's best to run the test on one stick at a time.

Windows can only map 4GB at a time but I've come across where one good stick has masked a problem with the other when a memtest had been run with both sticks installed.