Author Topic: Windows 10 keeps crashing and lots of BSOD... possibly faulty hardware??!?  (Read 30629 times)

Offline djactivator

• View Profile
Good day my computer geeks/pros! PlEASE HELP ME!

I've purchased BRAND NEW computer components about 2 years ago and just recently about 6 months ago put together the system, specs are as follows:

Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (x64) Build 15063.332 (RS2)
ASRock 970 Performance Bios P1.30
CPU: AMD FX-8350
Video: GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280 WindForce 3X OC
Memory GSKILL - 14900CL10-8GBXL x2

I also have 2x brand new 4TB Seagate ST4000DM005-2DP166 SATA HDs
and one Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB for my windows 10 & apps installs!

My system keeps giving me BSODS & random freezes, tried tons of the online solutions and nothing seems to work. I need to figure out which hardware if hardware is causing the issue so I can replace it.

I have had this issue ever since I build this system about 6 months ago, removed my old drives, put in the new ones described above did a clean install of windows 10 pro and still same issues.

Any ideas???

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'm not really into hardware as I use laptops but you could start by removing the two Seagate drives, see how it runs and then add each one back alternatively to see if either is the cause of the BSODs.

So that your machine will run, if it does with just leaving it with the SSD, download BlueScreenView which will diagnose the Memory Dump Files, but were you able to make a note of the Stop Error Codes.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

I'll contact another member who is more used to dealing with BSODs but will need the info I've asked for, although he'll probably ask you to upload the Memory Dump files if BlueScreenView doesn't give him all of the info he needs.

Offline djactivator

• View Profile
This has nothing to do with the drives, I was having the exact same issues with my older drives, the only drives in the machine now are all brand new, all of hte old drives have been removed, CMOS has been reset, latest version of BIOS is installed and windows has been FRESH installed.

Offline satrow

• View Profile
Hi, guys.

The main list output from BlueScreenView with the BSOD codes from all the dumps in the top pane should prove useful to begin with.

I'd leave the temporary removal/disconnection of all non-essential hardware until after we've gained some idea of where the problem lies, commonly it's software - 3rd party drivers/filters or security software (whether currently installed or remnants of any previously removed).

Details of the PSU, make/model/wattage, etc., as well please :)

Is it all at stock speeds/voltages?

Offline djactivator

• View Profile
Everything is at stock voltages yes, no OC anywhere here.. just defaults including even the BIOS settings.. the PSU is a coolermaster 650 GX
http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/gx-series/gx-650w/

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
What about BlueScreenView ?

Offline djactivator

• View Profile
just had my first BSOD since just installing BlueScreenview about half hour ago, not sure what I am looking for but I have Bluescreenview up with the DUMP file loaded into it..

Offline djactivator

• View Profile
 I did a generate HTML thing and this is what it gave me

060617-7343-01.dmp   2017-06-06 9:52:47 AM       0x00000139   00000000`00000003   ffffd881`a36ab080   ffffd881`a36aafd8   00000000`00000000   ntoskrnl.exe   ntoskrnl.exe+16c310                   x64   ntoskrnl.exe+16c310                   C:\Windows\Minidump\060617-7343-01.dmp   8   15   15063   789,508   2017-06-06 9:53:30 AM

Offline satrow

• View Profile
Not sure which GX you have, there are 2 models, one certified 80Plus, the other 80Plus Bronze, different makers for each. The older 'white' 80Plus spec. model is pretty poor, from what I can tell. The later Bronze model should be better on most counts, if you have a good sample it might be adequate or better, a poor sample wouldn't be something I'd fit in a build like yours.

Was it bought new for the build or is it older? If it's older, it might be time to retire it. Can you borrow a good quality PSU that you can use for testing?

Can you explain what happens in the seconds before a crash, what programs/games are running, what screen resolution you use?

Yes, a screenshot of the main BlueScreenView output is needed :) You need to set Windows so that it collects minidumps and that it doesn't overwrite older dumps (waiting for a crash isn't required, start BSV and it will auto-load any dumps found).

Or use the collection routine/program here and attach the need logs/zipped folder.

A 0x139 crash as yours is can be very tricky to sort out but it initially looks more like a possible software/driver problem, more info/data needed.

Offline djactivator

• View Profile
The GX is older, took it from another system that I built maybe 5 or more years ago, when I took the PC into the repair shop the guy said he did a diagnosis on it, he said it was fine, this was about 2 months ago, he said it was fine but if I need to replace something asap it would be the PSU, no, there is nobody I can borrow a PSU from for testing.
Unfortunatey I cannot pinpoint why and when it crashes as it freezes/BSOD at total random times. Sometimes I am just browsing hte web, sometimes I am playing mp3s in winamp... other times watching a video on youtube.. sometimes just putting some notes into notepad, complete random freezeups and BSODS..

I have attached a screenshot of BluescreenView as well.

Offline satrow

• View Profile
Hmm, doesn't really sound like a power issue, unless there's *something* happening in the background that adds some extra pressure occasionally. That doesn't mean I'd trust that PSU though ;)

Can you copy that minidump to your Desktop then zip it and attach the zip, please? You might have to enable viewing of hidden files and folders to get to it.

Offline djactivator

• View Profile
How do i enable viewing  of hidden files and folders, it let me copy it to the desktop but is giving me some security message when trying to rar it to attach it

Offline satrow

• View Profile
If you can see it to copy/paste it to your Desktop, it's not a hidden files/folders issue, it's probably Permissions - try moving the copy on your Desktop to your Documents folder, you should have Permissions to do (almost) anything there. Or try compressing it from the normal right-click options.

Offline djactivator

• View Profile
ok, here it is the dump

Offline satrow

• View Profile
There are some possibly buggy software/drivers installed that I'd like you to uninstall:

ASRock V Drive (driver=AsrVDrive.sys), shouldn't be necessary, you're on x64 and have UEFI:
"The fantastic 3TB+ Unlocker tool offers a tweak-friendly feature, breaking the limitation of 32-bit operation system that could only detect the hard disk within 2048GB. It also allows ASRock motherboards without UEFI Technology to take advantage of the hidden storage space on 3TB and larger HDDs, helping to fully utilize the wasted spaces." Same goes for any other ASRock utilities, uninstall them during troubleshooting.

HWiNFO64, fine in my experience but we need to rule out as many 3rd party drivers/filters as possible, can be reinstalled once troubleshooting is over.

uTorrent was the active process during the crash, it's possible that it's involved somehow, maybe Defender/SmartScreen picked up a 'suspicious' data string being received. Uninstall it during testing.

Ensure that you don't have any excess AMD/ATI dross loaded with CCC/Crimson, drivers only (without CCC/Crimson, if that's still possible!) if you can.

Make sure that CCleaner (or any other cleanup tool) isn't set to start or to remove minidumps, we need all the data/logs that we can - best to uninstall it/them during testing.

Basically, you need to run the System as slim as possible, if it isn't vital for the work/games that you use - uninstall it, or at least, make sure that it doesn't load on startup.

Offline djactivator

• View Profile
ok, how do I remove the ASRock V Drive driver?? unless u are speaking of the fantastic 3+ TB unlocker tool which has now been removed, i also uninstalled HWINFO64, utorrent has also been uninstalled. how do I ensure that I don't have any excess AMD/ATI dross loaded with CCC/Crimson and its the drivers only without CC/Crimson, I also made sure CCleaner will not delete any of hte dumps and i also selected the dumps to be saved (all) instead of overwritten but for now I will just uninstall CCleaner too..

Offline satrow

• View Profile
Good work :)

Yes, I was referring to the Unlocker: "The fantastic 3TB+ Unlocker... " but all I have for data is the dump, which lists the driver, AsrVDrive.sys.

Start up CCC/Crimson and uninstall everything there that isn't required - most users only really need the drivers.

Okay, next step: run MSiNFO32 and click on each section/subsection to make sure they're all fully populated with data (there will probably one or two subsections that won't contain anything). The Windows Error Reporting at the end is one of the slowest, click your way down through the list and wait on WER until it's populated then Save As the default .ARN type, zip that and attach it, please.

Offline djactivator

• View Profile
so I went to add/remove, went to modify of AMD Software and clicked on Clean uninstall on everything except for the video driver

Offline satrow

• View Profile
Hmm, doesn't quite read like the terminology I was expecting but I've not had an ATI/AMD card in use here since late last year, so I can't check. See how it looks after a reboot.

Offline djactivator

• View Profile
So I did that, restarted the computer and my system went to the desktop but I had no mouse, I than hard turned off and back on again, now I am back in the OS with working mouse...

Offline satrow

• View Profile
Ah yes, you're also battling the vagaries of Creator's Update, keep notes on anything unexpected/unusual.

Can I have the MSinfo32.arn data next?

Offline djactivator

• View Profile
How do i generate and send you the msinfo32.arn next?

Offline satrow

• View Profile
Search for it - System Information or msinfo32 - and run it (as Administrator, maybe), it's likely to be in Windows/System32.

Offline djactivator

• View Profile
Here we go,

it generated a txt file

Offline satrow

• View Profile
No, it would take me forever to make sense of that, I'd probably give up first.

Can you save it as the default .ARN type and zip/attach that, please.