Author Topic: New problems after running repairs  (Read 5662 times)

Offline crapshoot

• View Profile
New problems after running repairs
« on: July 04, 2017, 05:34:04 am »
Hi, I'm running Windows 10 Enterprise on build 1607 (14393.0).  I was having problems installing Windows cumulative and security updates, even just one at a time as a standalone update. After the restart, it would get up to 98 or 99% and then I would get an error saying "couldn't complete the update, undoing changes..." . I tried solutions I found on the internet (Windows update troubleshooter, the ResetWU tool...) Nothing worked.

Exasperated, I turned to Tweaking.com Windows repair v3.9.35. I did all the optional verification first. Aside from finding a few re parse points, everything checked out, including the file scans. I then went ahead with repairs. I backed up my registry and made a restore point.

I then tried to only perform the repair windows update option (#17). It did not fix the problem. I proceeded to run repairs 1 through 32 (excluding 11, 12, 13, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, 25, 31, as I didn't feel it was necessary). After I rebooted the system, the windows apps were greyed out. I ran a system restore and got back to where I was. I figured maybe I should disable my anti-virus and repair in safe mode. So I did but it made no difference. I went to restore the system only to discover that my restore points were gone, so I could no longer restore the system.

I tried the repairs again (in safe mode). Problem still there. All Windows apps are greyed out, including the Store. I then tried to only run 28.01 and also 28.02.The problem remains. I get red messages that say the path to AppxManifest.xml is invalid and to check that resources.pri exists. But I checked the path and it is valid.

At this point I was discouraged and decided to perform a in-place windows repair install using my Windows enterprise image on a USB key. Well, I can't even do that anymore apparently. When I run the Windows setup, I get an error saying "Setup couldn't start properly. Please reboot your PC and try running Windows 10 Setup again."  I tested the usb key on my other computer running the same Windows build and it launches fine.

So now I'm about out of ideas. I don't want to have to re-install Windows 10. I just have too many programs to re-install. I do have a per-repair Registry backup but I'm afraid to use it. Interestingly, I also found that I could run the Windows 10 Creator update setup fine. But I'm afraid to do that as I read that Microsoft does not recommend installing the creator update upgrade from an image and to wait for it to be dispatched through regular windows updates, which I can't do to begin with. In any case, the Enterprise version doesn't upgrade that way anyway.

Any help that could help me fix this mess would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.   

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: New problems after running repairs
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 06:00:23 am »
You could use the Registry Restore option in Step 5, which I'd try first to return to the status quo and then if you want to upgrade to the Creators Update, you can use the Update now button in this article, rather than manually updating through install media, although you can also create install media which will give you the latest version.

If things don't work out with it, you can revert to the previous version within 10 days through the advanced boot options.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

As you have run the repairs twice, then there will be two recent registry backups created, so when you go to Registry Restore, use the dropdown to select the most appropriate.

If you opt for the first backup then you could try the repair install again for your current version.

Offline crapshoot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 06:58:39 am »
Hi and thank you for the reply.

I've never done a full registry restoration before. Do I just right-click on the registry backup and select Merge? Will it overwrite the current registry?

Also, I tried running the Windows setup of my current build (not the Creator build) from a flash drive plugged in a rear usb port this time and it runs fine. I now have the option to do an in-place repair installation of my current build (with keep windows settings, files and apps).

Should I still try to restore the registry first?

Thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 07:02:41 am »
When you select the backup from the dropdown you will be presented with a Restore Now button and that does it for you.

However, if you are able to perform a repair install of your current version, then I'd go for that.

If I ever have any problems with Win 10, that's what I do.