Author Topic: cloning or imaging which is best for restore in the even of hdd failure  (Read 31101 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, On the other day, my son in his enthusiasm to gestures, has hard touched the harddisc cabin. After that, reboot system error occurs one or two time and he tried to bang keyboards in his effort to boot up. But totally failed . I just guessed that the connection would have gone wrong and just plug out and plug in the power and data cable connecting the hard disc. Luckily, i got the system to boot up.
                          Frequent power cuts and inadvertant mitake of hitting the cabin thus gave me an idea to look for alternative to t, ake a back up of os and all files, that i have in the pc and laptop.
                           I bought a ext.hdd disk and installed the macrium reflect. What is the diff between cloning and imaging. which is best . What i require is a full back up of os including alll the apps and program and all the files and data to image form and then when hdd is corrupted to restore.
which is best form cloning or imaging. I do not want incremental update of image or any other thing. i want a back up of all os and data on the backup  time and keep it in a separate place to restore back in case of eventuality of hdd fail or corruption.
                              please give the exact link if any available. I am confused with those concept of cloning and imaging. which is best pl
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 11:55:26 pm by jraju »
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I have no experience of Macrium Reflect and use Windows System Image onto alternative ext. HDDs.

I create those once a month after Windows Updates, Adobe updates that usually come around at that time and any other program updates such as for CCleaner.

Adobe currently have released updates this month for Flash Player, Air and Reader.

However, to recover from a system image stored on an ext. HDD you need at least a system repair disk as in the case for Win 7 and an install disk for Win 10 with which to boot up with to navigate to the option for restore with an image.

It is for this reason that I have all of my laptops boot order permanently set to check the DVD and USB drives before the HDD so that I can insert either before I switch on.

You can insert a DVD before you switch on by waggling a suitably sized darning needle or straightened paperclip into the small hole that is in the disk drawer which will pop it open.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
In this case J, you will want to create a full image (forget about cloning for now...)

Imaging tutorial http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50074.aspx

You will then need to create a rescue media (USB as he has no functioning CD/ DVD drive) and test it to check it works,

http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50210.aspx

PS for rescue media to work on XP and Windows 7, which is what you want? Use Win PE 3.1 when creating the rescue USB.

http://reflect.macrium.com/help/v5/how_to/rescue/create_a_standard_windows_pe_rescue_environment.htm
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 05:26:20 am by Samson »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, Thanks Samson,
                         Please clear this doubt
                             I have seen some tutorial and pl clarify,

Is the full backup means that the entire selected drives including the default selected c and reserved drives? on a particular time?
What is 12 backups shown in the diagram in full backup . Should i change to 1 there?
Should i need to check verify in advanced option? Will it not take time ? pl explain
Can i prepare restore disk after the back up , as separately in usb? Does the USB has to be made bootable before using macrium reflect free?(as in windows by listdisk command)
Can i expect answers from you on these. I have not used this before, and so I ask.
If i select all the drives, will it copy the application and other data files as in the pc at the time of take of back up. please

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, please see this image,

Offline Samson

• View Profile
12 refers to the number of backups to keep... forget it, don't create a schedule, do it manually...say once a month.

Entire drive is evrything on that drive, ie all partitions shown and hidden,

Veryfy will take longer but will check the integrity of the backup, I have it checked, but it will take longer depends on how much you have on the drive.

The uSB that you create should be bootable without further interaction from you, you can create it before or after the backup, then test it and if it does n't boot we can return to it later. Be aware that the WAIK filews required to create the WinPE rescue media are about 150MB but the wizard will guide you through it.

You do NOT select ALL drives, just the one that you wish to image, it will copy the OS , all programs and data at the time it is taken.

NB before a backup I like to do a little housekeeping first, scan with AV, run Cclenaer and Defrag the drive that i am going to image...maybe unnecessary but it is up to you.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
That's what I do as well before I create my system images.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, Thanks. Can i select all drives, which could be copied to the external hdd? If i do have to select the folders in each drive , it may take time to select folders and files i want.Normally,some programs copy to the internal drive some files.Please. say something about waik files.What are the requirements to get those waik files. Will those files will be selected automatically or do i have to manually do? Samson, this is the first time i hear waik files.\         
                          Normally for OS failure , i would just prepare the usb bootable, and then copy the entire files to it and it worked for me to copy OS to a new hdd or formatted drive. There i had not come across this waik files.
                             How you could make pendrive as first boot choice, if it does not show in bios? Formerly , i use a program, which i forgot now. when i use this program, it will run via cd drive and i get the menu ,usb and by entering , i get, the pendrive to be recognized, some name blot or something.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Select as per my screen shot. It will image the whole drive. You do not have to select files or folders.

The WAIK (Windows automatic Installion Kit) is used to build the PE (Windows Pre Installion environment) in which the revovery/ rescue media runs. think of it as a portable mini Windows OS.

When you create the rescue medis, the wizard will guide through each step.

If your PC will not boot from USB then just burn the rescue media to a CD/ DVD  :wink:

« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 09:17:24 am by Samson, Reason: Forgot screen shot »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, Samson, It seems that you have only c: drive in your system. But , i have c: and D: Now please tell me , that i should select c: which is default selection by the macrium program and also the d: drive
                              I am using recommended version of xp, from filehippo pl.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Is D a partition on the same drive as C or is it a separate physical drive?

Actually I do have a second Physical HDD on this PC, I use it simply for DATA storage (Music)...If your situation is the same then you can simply copy these files/ folders to your external HDD without using Macrium
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 05:00:16 am by Samson »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
separate physical drive having different storage. While installing , the partition was made to c: and d drive. in my pc, for which i have to start from beginning.
                          The laptop which i intend to take image also, contains, c: d: e: f: 
                           Can i select all the drives and retrieve or restore by using the rescue disk, which i am yet to create?

Offline Samson

• View Profile
I don't understand, post a screenshot

Offline jraju

• View Profile
You mean the screen shot of drives.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
OK so the same as my set up....OS and programs on C and data etc on D

Use macrium to image C and just copy files and folders from D to your external HDD, no need to use Macrium for that.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
That is a very good tip samson. Will try with the laptop first.
                  Please , say, you have now rescue disk in pdrive  and backup copy of c: and reserved partition in ext hdd with some other contents in separate folders, including the files that came with the ext. hdd.
                 I presume, that if something went wrong, then you connect the hdd to your computer in a port, and allow to boot from pd. Now the Pd opens rescue disk and environment and ask for the file to be selected . Just you select the image file  and you get the contents of c: including all programs in it.including files in my documents folder etc etc.
                        Then once it is copied , the pc works as before the system went wrong and you have all the programs in it including external programs that are in the c: drive
                        Is my presumption is correct?
                         Sorry for asking questions. I want to start the exercise with your able guidance.
                        sometimes, some program copies to both the drive, if you have one other than c:am i correct?

Offline Samson

• View Profile
The short answer is  "Yes"  :wink:

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, Thanks samson
                   your view on the last sentence on my last post,
sometimes, some program copies to both the drive, if you have one other than c:am i correct?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 05:38:57 am by jraju »

Offline Samson

• View Profile
No, programs should be installed on the same drive or partition as your OS.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, Let me put it differently,
                        Some programs, say , microsoft office installs in both the drive , main files in c: and some other files in d: is my presumption correct?

Offline Samson

• View Profile
No, unlees you have chosen to save documents or data files on D

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Yes, i will try imaging and then write. Can i use the same version for windows 7 also? the filehippo version
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 06:03:46 am by jraju »

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Windows 7 has its own backup, so do you need macrium there? Your choice.

The version I use is 5.3 build 7299 works on Win 7 and XP, newer versions available but I stick with this one as it works well for me.

Offline KR

• View Profile
I make a system image every week or two with Macrium Reflect (free)  - works very well and goes fast. The images have saved me many times from my own booboos. I have Windows backup / restore point completely turned off.

Cheers

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, How could you check whether the system will boot from rescue disk only on the failure of hdd or any alternative in running windows, but should be able to stop the process, as it is only for check.
                Samson point is well taken to ask me to verify in advanced options to check the correct copy of system files to the ext.hdd.
                         Can i test and just exit by running rescue disk without actually killing my present working windows