Author Topic: Settings and Cartana will not open  (Read 5615 times)

Offline Phillip Bennett

• View Profile
Settings and Cartana will not open
« on: July 22, 2017, 10:55:14 am »
I have run windows trouble shoot. I receive the message the ShelfExperienceHost and Cartana need to be installed correctly. I have run the tweak repair several times. Each time it says that there are 43 items that need repair. When the process is complete, neither settings nor Cartana will operate. Not sure if any of the 43 items are solved.

What would you suggest I do next? thanks for your help.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Settings and Cartana will not open
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 03:05:04 pm »
I would probably run a repair install which won't affect your personal stuff or installed programs but see if opening a Command Prompt (Admin) and entering these cmds will resolve -

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow will report if any corruption remains.

They will both take a while to run.

Windows key+i will open Settings and Windows key+c will open Cortana if voice has been activated, otherwise Windows key+s will open it to ask what you want.

Offline Phillip Bennett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 05:36:10 pm »
I tried the recommendation. It did not work. Windows key+i will not open Settings and Windows key+c will not open Cortana. I cannot get them  to work any way I have tried. thanks for the help. Any other suggestions?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 01:04:45 am »
Have a read through this article to see if any of the suggestions work for you but I've seen where Dropbox has also caused this error and simply by uninstalling it has resolved.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/06df04e2-d176-400b-8ad0-e8e716db5faf/windows-start-menu-doesnt-work-shellexperiencehost?forum=win10itprogeneral

Have you tried your restore points prior to getting this error ?

If none of those work then I think the next best option will be to perform a repair install but you will need an install disk for the version of Win 10 that you are using.

To confirm your version, go Start - type winver and press enter.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 03:24:09 pm »
Make sure to run these commands in powershell as these are powershell commands not command prompt.
hmm first i want to see the registry key that will actually disable cortana if you can run this command and post what it outputs
Code: [Select]
Get-ItemProperty -Path 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search'if it has a red error saying it does not exist no worries just means you have never made a registry tweak to disable cortana
now this command will show me all of cortana's search prefs
Get-ItemProperty -Path 'HKCU:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search'If everything checks out with those keys then my next suggestion would be to run this command
$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.Cortana).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"
if that command does not work try this one
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.Windows.Cortana | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml” -Verbose}
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 04:27:02 pm by Julian »
Julian

Offline Phillip Bennett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 04:33:19 pm »
thanks so much to everyone. Windows completely locked up with an update on Friday. Had to get help to reinstall. problem is solved for now.