Author Topic: relationship between tweaking.com - Registry Backup and SFC /scannow  (Read 11987 times)

Offline Clade

• View Profile
Sorry for my English, it's not official language.

The question is whether Registry Backup includes all the files. . . which are scanned by the SFC / scannow command.

This doubt concerns the possibility of after SFC / scannow without corrupt files by creating backup with Registry Backup, at some point where the same command show corrupted files, could you use Registry Backup for fix?

Thank you for your attention!

Clade

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: relationship between tweaking.com - Registry Backup and SFC /scannow
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 02:28:05 pm »
It could but it would depend upon how old the registry back up is as to whether it wouldn't cause other problems.

It would be better to create system images onto external media when everything is working fine.

Have you got a sfc /scannow that has reported corruption ?

Offline Clade

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 03:27:24 pm »
No. It is that today I made a correction of corrupt files. Normally I make system image. It would be much quieter if it worked, as I wrote.

Offline Clade

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 03:31:26 pm »
I configured the Registry backup to make a daily backup.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 01:28:53 am »
In that case then you could use the registry backup from when the system didn't have corrupt files, but I'd go back a couple of days from when sfc /scannow hadn't reported it had repaired files unless you run a sfc /scannow daily as well.

To avoid having a registry back up that contained corruption, it would be best to run a sfc /scannow before you created it.

Prior to creating my monthly system images, I run file scans with sfc /scannow, chkdsk /r and antimalware scans with both Norton and the free version of MBAM.

There's no point in saving a corrupt or infected system.

Offline Clade

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 03:49:28 am »
Yep! Before backing up, I also try to leave the system intact, use SFC, including all updates, including software.

As various software tests, in the install / uninstall, rarely, but occurs, difficulties with file corruption. But I like that kind of challenge.  I like to get "detonated" equipment to leave them in optimum conditions of use, which depends on software.