Author Topic: tool selection  (Read 6216 times)

Offline metaguy

• View Profile
tool selection
« on: September 03, 2017, 04:58:02 am »
When I ran Tweaking, some of the fixes messed up apps and functions.  Are there some scans/fixes I chould avoid to be on the conservative side?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: tool selection
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 05:21:14 am »
When I've ran it on my Win 10 I unchecked the boxes for the app resets, as it was more out of curiosity than to effect a repair, although I've recently run it to repair the WMI but that was the only repair I selected.

I assume you are using Win 10 ?

Open the program and click on Backup Tools then click on Restore under Registry Backup - click on the Restore Registry tab then use the dropdown to select the back up and then click on Restore Now.

This is probably best done in Safe Mode and should get your machine back to the way it was before you ran the repairs.

Can you itemise what it messed up and I'll pass that onto Shane should there be a bug.

Why did you need to run the program ?

Offline metaguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 06:49:15 pm »
Thanks for getting back to me. I had run Tweaking as I was getting o/s errors.  Then a month ago I took a radical step - backed up data and reinstalled the o/s (Win7).  I've now reinstalled apps and restored data.  The system is running slow, (e.g. :07 to :10 seconds to open an app, browser, or an email) although CPU and RAM are running fine.  I also get messages that an app (e.g. Dashlane or Snagit) stopped running.  Hence I want to run a repair tool (Tweaking), yet want to be cautious not to change or remove needed files.  Hence my initial post.  I'll wait to hear back before running Tweaking.
By the way, it's nice to see good comments and reviews on line  gw

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 01:26:22 am »
Some programs on installation insert themselves into the Startup menu which can unnecessarily use up memory and have an impact on performance.

On my Win 7 laptop I don't have anything checked in my Startup menu and non-MS services are heavily vetted so the machine will run as lean as possible.

Some of those services I uncheck include program updaters, but you may want to leave those enabled.

To check yours, go Start - type msconfig and press enter then click on the Startup tab to see what is checked.

Which antivirus program are you using as some have been known to slow a machine down.

As you have reinstalled, there may be quite a few temp files which could do with a clean out.

You could go Start - type disk cleanup and right click on it when it comes up to select Run as administrator - that will clean out some, including any superseded Windows Updates.

This article is a guide as to what you can safely clean out. - https://www.howtogeek.com/266337/what-should-i-remove-in-disk-cleanup-on-windows/

I recently factory reset an OEM laptop and ran Disk Cleanup in that mode and was surprised that it found some to clean out as the updates had just been installed.

However, I use the free version of CCleaner to clean out temp files - https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

To ensure it cleans out as much as possible, click on Options/Advanced and uncheck the box for only clean out files older than 24hrs.

Also under Options, click on Monitoring and uncheck those boxes.

As you have done a clean install then it's unlikely that it's the OS that is causing problems but what you have installed since.

To find out if it's any of those that are causing those alerts, in msconfig, under the Startup tab, click on Disable all - Apply - OK - Restart.

If you still get those alerts for Dashlane and/or SnagIt, go back into msconfig and under the Services tab check the box to Hide all Microsoft services.

Note which are showing as Stopped then click on Disable all - Apply - OK - Restart.

An AV program though can reinstate itself.

If the alerts no longer appear after disabling all under the Startup tab, then you can leave those unchecked but if you want to find out what is conflicting, then re-enable one at a time and see what happens after each reboot.

The same would apply if the alerts stopped after disabling all of the non-MS services, but because there's usually more than a few of those, it's advocated that you re-enable a few at a time and then check after each reboot.

Offline metaguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 02:53:37 am »
Thanks again.  I do pc tech work, so I know where things are and what to do with them.
In response:
- I use Bitdefender Total Security 2018.  I scan with CCleaner manually and after the install it cleared a load of Temp files.

- I have 9 apps in Startup, the same number as before the reinstall, with 4 Bitdefender and 2 others in Services.  One thing I have yet to do is pair down unnecessary Services.  Thanks for the link.

- Essentially with the same setup of apps, Services and Startup as before, the o/s runs slower.  System Idle is always around 99%, RAM is rarely over 4 of the 8 GBs, and each process when active uses 1-4 %.  Dell E-6420, 64 bit, Win7 Ultimate.

- I'll pair down the Services.  Bottom line, I'm anxious to run Tweaking with confidence that it will do fixes and not cause more problems.  Comments?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 03:25:47 am »
I know someone on another forum who had to uninstall Bitdefender because it slowed her computer to a crawl.

To eliminate it, can you uninstall it using its Uninstaller and then see how the machine performs with MSE.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=5201

MSE will usually uninstall from Progs & Features but to be sure all of it has gone, MS has produced a Fix it button - https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2435760/how-to-manually-uninstall-microsoft-security-essentials-1-0-1963-if-yo

I assume you have reinstalled all of the Windows Updates including SP1 ?