Author Topic: Windows Repair tool is taking forever  (Read 6086 times)

Offline Freddo1

• View Profile
Windows Repair tool is taking forever
« on: September 03, 2017, 01:35:53 am »
I downloaded and installed the latest version of windows repair 4.0.4 and I was running a system repair. It opened up another window (cmd) which told me not to stop the repair because it could cause problems. On the main window it shows time elapsed 14:13:50 and counting. Below that it shows Repair jobs: 5/46. Also, I'm running this on regular windows vista and not in safe mode

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Repair tool is taking forever
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 01:49:46 am »
It could be that your antivirus program is checking everything and slowing things up, which is why it's advised to run the program in Safe Mode.

Have you done the pre-steps such as a sfc /scannow and chkdsk /r ?

It's also best to run an antimalware scan as the program cannot repair malware damage if an infection is still present.

You can stop the program, use it to or boot up into Safe Mode with Networking and then open the program to use the Registry Restore option and then run the repairs again.

Click on Backup Tools then on Restore under Registry Backup and then on the Restore Registry tab and use the dropdown to click on the date of the back up then click on Restore Now.

Offline Freddo1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 10:42:45 am »
I've done multiple sfc/scannow on my computer, it always says there are corrupted folders it is unable to fix. It says I can check the details on C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log but every time I access it, it says 'Access Denied' and I'm running on an admin account. I tried running a dism command but that's not recognized, tried fixing it but didn't work. I did the chkdsk/r and it says file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. I ran the repair tool on safe mode and it seems to have slowed my computer down

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 02:00:23 pm »
Which version of Windows are you using and are you using an OEM machine where the version of Windows was preinstalled, or is your machine a custom built one ?

Run the sfc /scannow again and when it reports it is unable to repair some files, copy and paste the following command to the prompt -

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log > %userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This will put an icon onto the desktop which when double clicked will open the CBS log in Notepad, which you can then copy and paste into the reply box.

Also download SFCFix.exe and run that - http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/sfcfix.html

This can sometimes repair files that a sfc /scannow cannot, but will produce its own log, which you can also copy and paste into the reply box.

A chkdsk /f  or /r cannot run from within Windows so you need to type y and press enter when prompted so that it can execute after the next reboot before Windows loads.

To view the chkdsk log, after the machine has rebooted, go Start - type eventvwr and press enter.

When Event Viewer opens, ensure Event Viewer (Local) is highlighted in the left pane - if it isn't then just click on it.

When it has read the data and you see Critical, Error etc. expand Windows Logs in the left pane - click on Application then on Action/Find in the menu bar.

If using Vista or later, type chkdsk or wininit into the Find box and press enter - if you are using XP - look for a Winlogon entry in the scrollable window and click on that.

Cancel the Find box if used and read the report in the lower scrollable window.

As well as whatever else it reports, look to see if it reports any KBs in bad sectors.

If it does then create a system image ASAP before the HDD finally fails.

You can also post its report by clicking on Copy/Copy details as text in the lower right pane then right click in the reply box and select Paste.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 02:29:19 pm by Boggin »