Author Topic: Win7 system repair disk error  (Read 5405 times)

Offline Lady

• View Profile
Win7 system repair disk error
« on: November 14, 2017, 04:09:17 am »
Hello everybody,

This has been a recurring issue for me and I haven't found a solution yet. When I try to make a system repair disk on my Win7 desktop I always get the error code 0x80070057. This is a well-known issue, I read endlessly through posts online from people with the same problem and there didn't seem to be a solution.

But now I think I found one. I read: "If you are unable to boot your Windows 7 to create a Windows 7 System Repair Disc, then you could create it on another computer to use on your computer." Is that correct? That would be the easiest option. Apart from finding someone with a Win7 64 bit pc.  :smiley:

Also, in the meantime, I made a system repair disk using Macrium Reflect Free where they are called rescue media. Does that mean I can leave the error issue with the Windows disk alone? Or does it imply there's something wrong with the files needed?

Just now I found this solution which supposedly works, but wouldn't dare do this without somebody here commenting on it:

command prompt (user) > type

winmgmt /verifyrepository
winmgmt /salvagerepository

if that doesn't work, try

net stop winmgmt
cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem
ren repository repository.old
net start winmgmt
exit

Anybody any comments on this?

Thanks,
Lady
To Fear no guarantees are ever strong enough.
To Love none are necessary.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Win7 system repair disk error
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 05:00:21 am »
It's correct that you can create a Win 7 repair disk on any other Win 7 machine providing it's the same 32 or 64 bit as the target machine.

I haven't checked to see why that error is generated when trying to create a repair disk or if the WMI is responsible in allowing the disk to be created, but those cmds will just reset WMI just as the repair in the Windows Repair program will and won't harm your computer, but if in doubt, before making any changes, create a restore point or use the Registry backup in the Windows Repair program and run the repair from there.

I've used the first two cmds you have posted as well as running the WMI repair from within WR.

Do you see any WMI errors in Event Viewer after trying to create a Win 7 repair disk ?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 01:47:17 pm »
Further to my PM, attached is a pic of my Event Viewer as described.

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 09:58:01 am »
Here two more solutions are being given. It's a bit over my head, but I'm posting it for anyone interested, for this is an issue for a lot of people.

https://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/52186-cannot-create-system-repair-disc.html

To Fear no guarantees are ever strong enough.
To Love none are necessary.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 01:43:45 pm »
Have you tried after activating the hidden admin account ?

Not sure if you know how to do this but run a cmd prompt as an administrator and enter -

net user administrator /active:yes

shutdown /r /t 00

Then click on the Admin account icon and wait for it to reconfigure the desktop and then try to create the repair disk.

When done, repeat the net user cmd, changing yes to no and use the shutdown cmd to reboot, as you shouldn't run a system with that account permanently active.