Author Topic: Can't start computer after repair  (Read 6551 times)

Offline rbhabear

• View Profile
Can't start computer after repair
« on: December 29, 2017, 07:36:54 am »
I was search for a program to check drivers because when I viewed YouTube video the screen would go blank for a few seconds.  I went to a site and got a virus.  After this Some programs that used the internet wouldn't load ie. Weather, Todo, Edge.  Thunderbird worked and Internet explorer.  I found this program to try to fix it.  I did the repair for virus infection.  It seemed like it was working for edge because during the process It was now able to connect.  When it was complete it said to restart computer.  I restarted and it won't boot. I have a black screen and if I move the mouse I see the cursor with the blue working circle.  I've tried to restart several times and nothing.  I'm new at all this so hopefully some one can help.
Thanks RBH

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Can't start computer after repair
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 08:01:00 am »
Before WR can repair infection damage, you need to get rid of the infection.

If you have access to another machine, create a Kaspersky Rescue Disk and boot up with that.

https://support.kaspersky.co.uk/viruses/rescuedisk

You may need to change the Boot order which you can do by pressing and holding F2 as you switch on.

If you are using an UEFI BIOS then you will need to disable Secure Boot.

Use the cursor keys to move to the Boot tab and use those keys to select the DVD drive then F5 or F6 to move it to the top.

Insert the rescue disk - press F10 to Save and Exit then press enter.

Use the graphics option and probably best to Ethernet connect so that it can update its Definitions.

The scan can take a number of hours to complete.

Offline rbhabear

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 08:23:09 am »
I felt like the virus was removed.  I had Windows defender and Malwarebytes that detected it and removed it.
RBH

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 08:30:52 am »
I've ended up with a black screen before and a Kaspersky disk was the only thing that would boot and when it had completed I was able to boot normally.

Mine wasn't because of an infection but a hung restore point where I power shut down and had nothing when I rebooted.

I don't know what else the disk does but it's pulled me out of the mire on two occasions because of a hung restore point.

The first time after its scan, while I was waiting to for it to reboot, I went off to make a cup of coffee and found it was running a chkdsk when I came back.

I think it's worth a try.

Offline rbhabear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 08:33:23 am »
As I said I'm a newbie please have mercy on me :smiley: but can you give me detailed instructions hoe to do this.
I don't have a disk drive but I did download the Kasperky file and put it on a thumbdrive.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 08:44:38 am »
When you press and hold F2 as you switch on, that will take you into the BIOS.

If your machine came with Win 10 or you upgraded from Win 8/81 then you probably have an UEFI BIOS - if you upgraded from Win 7 then you'll probably have the older MBR BIOS which doesn't have Secure Boot.

Instead of selecting the DVD drive in the BIOS, select the USB drive and go through the same procedure.

The User Interface (UI) of Kaspersky is pretty straight forward but I'd have to run it on my other Win 10 laptop to fully re-familiarise myself with it.

Are you okay with the instructions I've given so far or do I need to run Kaspersky on my other machine ?

Offline rbhabear

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 08:59:06 am »
So far so good the only thing is I am having difficulty to enable boot order in bios.  I move the arrow to removable device then press enter to save changes but when I try to start up to thumb drive it just boots the way it has been. I created a kasperky drive I got the software to add ISO  to drive so I think I did that ok

Offline rbhabear

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 09:07:30 am »
I disabled secure boot and I changed the order of booting but it doesn't boot from drive

Offline rbhabear

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 09:13:19 am »
thats strange,  instead of booting into kasperkey it booted me into safe mode.
Since I was there I decided to use the option to check why the system wasn't starting.  I'm a little nervous

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 01:27:49 pm »
What sort of Safe Mode - are you at your desktop display ?

What do you have access to in that mode ?

Sometimes when booting from an USB you need to plug the USB in first before going into the BIOS.

Give that a try.