Author Topic: SOLVED - Win 10 MMC cannot create Snap-in  (Read 8816 times)

Offline ENAR

• View Profile
SOLVED - Win 10 MMC cannot create Snap-in
« on: January 02, 2018, 10:12:20 pm »
When trying to use the Windows 10 built-in Disk Management tool, I get an error saying that MMC cannot create the Snap-in. (Some other functions also report this same type of problem.)

After having read a myriad of articles about the deletion and auto-recreation of the relevant key Registry items (none of which helped), I am looking for a way either to restore the correct entries to the Registry, or some other way to fix this narrow scope of essential repair. I am seeking a way to fix the problem, short of a complete restoration requiring the subsequent re-installation of all user-loaded programs (even if the option of saving personal files is used).

Can the Tweaking.com Windows repair Pro version handle this specific issue?

One other thought I have is to export the necessary section of Registry values for MMC and Snap-ins from another Windows 10 computer, and then Import them into the "problem child" computer. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 07:33:42 pm by ENAR »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Win 10 MMC cannot create Snap-in
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 01:16:00 am »
I don't know if the repair program would resolve that but I would try a repair install, which won't affect personal stuff or installed programs.

You would need Win 10 install media which you can create from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Read the instructions as they differ depending upon whether you want a DVD or USB as your install media.

This ISO is for 1709 - let me know if you need an earlier version.

When done, with the machine booted up, open Windows Explorer - This PC - insert the media and double click on its drive.

If using a disk then that should start the process but if using an USB, that will open to the files where you would double click on setup Application.

You may have to go into Settings/Apps/Default apps and change back to your preferences but your personal stuff and installed programs will remain intact.

I tend to perform a repair install if I have problems with my Win 10.

Offline ENAR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 01:55:02 am »
Thanks. I looked at that, proceeding up to the ultimate commitment, but the point I got to said that while the personal files would be saved, non-Windows programs would need to be re-installed. Curiously, the Windows 10 installation DVD I created from an ISO did not have the same screens and menu choices in a few online articles I read on the subject. They were similar, but not the same. And the devil is in the details, with a simple selection made on limited information that too often leads to a mini0catastrophe.

Can you confirm that this process does NOT wipe installed programs?

Thanks, again.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 02:16:20 am »
Yes, I can confirm that - I've done it a number of times but if you are concerned then create a system image onto external media.

This is not a Reset which would be done from the advanced boot options but a repair install of Windows done from within Windows.

The only program I had to reinstall when I first upgraded to Win 10 was CCleaner - I've never had to reinstall any 3rd party programs in subsequent repair installs.

I may have had to re-pin IE to the taskbar and make that my default browser again and perhaps other app preferences such as for WMP and Adobe Reader, reset my Realtek HD Audio Manager, reinstall my Win 7 wireless driver, turn off fast start up and re-customize my Command Prompt, but they were just annoyances rather than anything serious.

I've recently advised another member to perform a repair install and now he's happy with his system.

Offline ENAR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 03:22:30 am »
Thanks. I''ll try that again.

Offline ENAR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 01:25:35 pm »
One more question on this: I had been using the Win10 installation DVD to access the Repair function (booting from the DVD). Your posts suggest that I boot into Windows 10 in a normal fashion, and then access the repair functionality, but where do I find it? On the DVD or from within the regularly loaded Win 10?

Thanks.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 01:42:31 pm »
With Windows booted up, open Windows Explorer - click on This PC and insert the install media then double click on its drive.

When using a DVD this will start the repair install process.

If double clicking the drive takes you into the disk's files then double click on setup Application.

You'll know it has started when the Windows logo comes up.

It doesn't list it as a repair option as you get when you boot up with an install disk.

Offline ENAR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 05:56:07 pm »
Almost everything worked as you described, but it simply locked on 0% with the constantly rotating circle of dots for over an hour with not change to the "progress." I may be looking at a complete re-install unless you have other ideas. I'll also try a successive Macrium restore, seeing at each increment whether the MMC functionality returns.

Thanks again.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 12:50:46 am »
You could try it again with your antivirus disabled but boot up with the install disk and on the Install screen select Repair your computer and select Command Prompt in the advanced options.

Enter bcdedit |find "osdevice" and using whichever partition letter, enter and use that instead of the X I've used in this cmd -

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=X:\ /offwindir=X:\Windows

That may sort out the MMC if that is the cause of the repair install sticking.

That is a Pipe symbol before find and is the uppercase of \ and note the space before each /

You need to do the bcdedit cmd because it doesn't always see the volume as being in C: in that mode.

Offline ENAR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 05:38:47 pm »
OK. This is what I found:

The command 'bcdedit|find "osdevice"' found nothing. This is a dual boot drive (Win 7 and Win 10, with another partition once intended for Ubuntu (but not currently used).

To simplify things, I created empty folders in the root directories of each of the OS's labeling them: "1 - This is Win 7", and on the other "1 - This is Win 10". Using the number one ahead of the description tended to list these empty directories toward the top of the list for that drive.

With that done, and booting to the command prompt from the Win 10 DVD, I ran the sfc /scannow /offbootdir=d:\ /offwindir=d:\Windows where the d: drive was, indeed, the Win 10 drive.

After a while, it produced this response:

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios.

When I looked at that log, it listed a LOT of items that were not fixed.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it is seeming more prudent to wipe the partition, and reload Windows 10 - and bite the bullet about re-installing all of the apps currently loaded.

Any thoughts? Again, my thanks for your assistance.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 12:33:27 am »
It's starting to look that way as the repair install failed, although you could run the Windows Repair program to see what it can do, but create a system image first.

As an afterthought, have you run an antimalware scan on your system ?

For an in depth scan I would go for booting up with a Kaspersky Rescue Disk, using the graphics mode.

https://support.kaspersky.co.uk/4162

Offline ENAR

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 11:58:53 pm »
I finally got it fixed!

I restored successive reverse-date Macrium system backups until I found one from way back in August that had a working MMC. I then installed the updates to individual programs as well as Windows. I am now pretty sure that the previous releases of Windows updates that have proven so problematic for so long was the culprit. Indeed, every time I found a problem in Windows 10, the source was a problematic update from Microsoft, but that belongs in the editorial section.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 01:15:32 am »
Glad to see that you have got it sorted.

I agree, Windows Updates have caused anomalous problems throughout and not just for Win 10.

If you go to your opening post and click on Modify, you can add [SOLVED] to the thread title.

Offline ENAR

• View Profile
Re: SOLVED - Win 10 MMC cannot create Snap-in
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2018, 07:35:23 pm »
Done - and again, thanks for your help. Sometimes, problem solving needs a "sounding board" just to expand the scope of thinking. Thanks again.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: SOLVED - Win 10 MMC cannot create Snap-in
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 12:34:10 am »
You're welcome. :)