Author Topic: Windows Repair (All in One) Keeps Deleting Quick Launch  (Read 5212 times)

Offline tweak_twerk

• View Profile
Windows Repair (All in One) Keeps Deleting Quick Launch
« on: January 30, 2018, 11:38:23 pm »
Hello all. I like to use Windows Repair Windows Repair (All in One) mostly for just its repair functions. I only ever use two check boxes in the program: Temp Folder Removal and Icon Repair. However, sometimes (but not always) when I run the program it deletes my Quick Launch bar at the bottom of my taskbar, which I have lots of important icons stored. I then have to re-add it. What's causing this and how do I stop it, so I can still use Windows Repair (All in One) for my purposes? Current version I have installed is 3.8.1

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Repair (All in One) Keeps Deleting Quick Launch
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 12:49:26 am »
I use the free version of CCleaner to clean the temp folder cache etc. but I'll ask why it's removing your Quick Launch bar.

Do your icons regularly suffer from corruption that you need to run that repair ?

https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download

If you decide to use CCleaner, click on Options - Monitoring and uncheck those boxes.

Click on Cleaner and under the Windows tab scroll down to System and uncheck the Memory Dumps box then under the Applications tab, scroll down to Windows and uncheck the MS Search box before clearing the cache.

Offline tweak_twerk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 09:35:30 pm »
I use the free version of CCleaner to clean the temp folder cache etc. but I'll ask why it's removing your Quick Launch bar.

Do your icons regularly suffer from corruption that you need to run that repair ?

https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download

If you decide to use CCleaner, click on Options - Monitoring and uncheck those boxes.

Click on Cleaner and under the Windows tab scroll down to System and uncheck the Memory Dumps box then under the Applications tab, scroll down to Windows and uncheck the MS Search box before clearing the cache.

Thanks for the info. I'm familiar with CCleaner, as I'm a fan and have been using it for years. I can definitely see just using it as an alternative to Windows Repair for most things, as I really only need all in one for the icon repair (which only happens every once in a while). But I did have two more quick questions.

1) In CCleaner, does the "Temporary Files" check box under the System list in the Windows tab perform the exact same function as the "Remove Temp Files" option in Windows Repair?
2) I've ran CCleaner for years with both the Memory Dump and MS Search boxes checked. What's the significance of unchecking those and will I see a benefit to that vs keeping those cleared out?

Thanks!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 12:59:20 am »
Well you don't want to remove any memory dump file history should you get a Blue Screen of Death.

As for the MS Search, I used to get the context something or other is corrupt in my Event Viewer and a Google on that nailed it to using CCleaner with that option checked.

There's one other thing that I forgot to mention and that is to go into Options/Settings/Advanced and uncheck the box for Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 24hrs.

You can check the advantage of this by pressing the Windows key - type %temp% and press enter.

This folder can be highly populated.

Run CCleaner with that box checked then go into %temp% and you will see that hasn't been cleared.

Uncheck that box and run CCleaner again with the box unchecked and you will see it has been cleared and you will see an increase in the number of files in CCleaner's report.

While you haven't said which version of Windows you are using, I have a batch file in my Downloads folder for rebuilding the icon cache and while it was originally for Win 7, I've run it on my Win 10 and seen my desktop icons refreshed.

This may eliminate your Quick Launch being savaged.

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/49819-icon-cache-rebuild.html

It says to save it to your Desktop, but it runs just as well from the Downloads folder.

Offline jpm

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 02:17:15 pm »
I haven't heard of this before - but I suspect it may be a permission problem due to you running an old version.  I suspect the issue would not happen if you were current.

However, if somethign does happen, just right click on your taskback in a blank space and select "new task bar"

for the folder paste in this

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

click enter and it should be back.