Author Topic: Repair Failed - Advised to Post  (Read 5532 times)

Offline J220284

• View Profile
Repair Failed - Advised to Post
« on: January 31, 2018, 10:43:49 pm »
Windows 10 permissions severely corrupted.  Unable to install any major Windows Updates.

Advised to post log file.

Thank you

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Repair Failed - Advised to Post
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 01:46:52 am »
I assume you did run the program in Safe Mode with Networking and you had an Internet connection in that mode ?

Can you open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter these commands to see what they report.

dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

If this one reports that the volume is repairable then enter these in turn.

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

shutdown /r /t 00

(Note the space before each / )

Then see how the program runs after the reboot if the sfc /scannow reports no integrity violations - otherwise let me know what it reports.

You could also see if they resolve your update problem, but it could help to see if you had gotten an error code for the update problem.

Press the Windows key and start to type reliability then press enter when View reliability history comes up.

Click on info or red cross for the date when the updates last failed - if any, click on the blue view tech details link for more info which could give an error code and let me know that.

Offline J220284

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 11:03:14 pm »
The primary error is the elusive 0x80070005 while trying to install the Windows 10, Version 1709 update.

I have tried every iteration of DISM and SFC with completely failure. In most cases cannot even get past the initial start/run of the utility.  For DISM, I tried multiple builds of Windows 10 builds as targets mounted every different way: on DVD, across the Network, in a local File Folder.  I even copied known clean target file directories for SFC from nearly identical systems with the same Windows 10 build.

Tried using the reset.cmd - "subinacl.msi" to reset various permissions.  Thousands of files fail and no joy.

I am desperately trying to find a utility or batch file that can completely reset all official Windows installed files back to their original permissions  as if this was a fresh Windows Install.

After running the subinacl.msi, I was no longer able to run the Tweaking Repair Utility in SAFE mode either under a user with Administrative Rights nor under the Administrator Account.

I have been hesitant to do a fresh "overlay" install as that will wipe out all of my program data.  There appears to be no way to force an in-place upgrade to preserver program (application) data.

I have spent more than three days on the phone with Microsoft Support - being told - your HP 6200 does not support Windows 10.  Of course until some random errant Windows 10 Update, the PC had been running Windows 10 - as many other non-certified systems are doing - for months.

It is so upsetting that there appears to be no way to solve what should be a simple issue with this Windows Update error.

Any additional guidance you can provide would be helpful.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 01:28:12 am »
Yes, I was told my two Toshiba laptops weren't Win 10 compatible either but they run fine.

Do you have a restore point that will take you back to before you executed the subinacl.msi cmd ?

You could try a repair install which won't affect your personal stuff or installed programs - you could do this with either a Win 10 install disk/USB matching your current install or with the latest 1709.

Using 1709 install media will manually update which is how I updated one of my laptops.

If you have a restore point and I would recommend booting into the advanced boot options to use the restore point option as I've found they tend to fail in normal or Safe Mode and if that is successful, then after the reboot open a Command Prompt (Admin) and copy & paste these cmds to the prompt where they will auto run except perhaps for the last one where you will need to press enter.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

Enter shutdown /r /t 00 to effect an immediate reboot and then try the update.

If you don't have Win 10 install media then you can download the relevant ISO from http://windowsiso.net/ - select Save and then use https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56485 to create a bootable DVD or USB.

Hover over Win 10 ISO then whichever version you want and click on Standard which will give you the option for 32 or 64bit.

You can also create bootable media for the latest ISO from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 but read the instructions first as the procedure differs for DVD and USB.

After you have run those cmds which will reset the update components, you could try the Update now button on that website to see if it will update, but if you are using a 3rd party antivirus program, then as an added measure, disable that first before hitting that button.

For a repair install, with the machine booted up, open Windows Explorer - This PC - insert the install media and double click on its drive.

This will start the process if using a DVD but if using an USB, that will open to its files where you would then double click on setup Application.

I think this takes about 3hrs on mine.