Author Topic: This Dns clinet error problem haunts me. Is there a real fix?  (Read 57042 times)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: This Dns clinet error problem haunts me. Is there a real fix?
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2018, 08:04:05 am »
You could try this but not sure if it will resolve as I don't know why you are getting that 1014 error.

Disconnect the Ethernet cable then create a restore point and then go Start - type regedit and press enter - accept the UAC and navigate -

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/WindowsNT/CurrentVersion/NetworkList/Profiles

Right click on each key and select Delete

Click on Signatures/Unmanaged and do the same.

Close each section up then click on File/Exit

Reboot then connect the Ethernet cable and when it connects, see if you still get that error in Event Viewer and if the details in an ipconfig /all have changed.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2018, 11:05:49 pm »
Hi, I tried. First, i gave jraju to the dns server name in router. I also changed the computer name to the same. Then i did the registry tweaks .now , the domain error becomes wpad.jraju timed out errors with the same code 1014.
The exact error is
Name resolution for the name wpad.JRAJU timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.
The change in ipconfig /all
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : JRAJU as changed in the router from domain.name
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c856:d2f6:290:446a%11
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::1e5f:2bff:fe54:8f5%11

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : JRAJU
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : JRAJU(It gets from router i suppose

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : JRAJU
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-E0-4C-F5-10-90
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c856:d2f6:290:446a%11(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, February 27, 2018 12:27:06 PM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, February 28, 2018 12:27:04 PM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::1e5f:2bff:fe54:8f5%11
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 184606796
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-22-12-8E-AB-00-E0-4C-F5-10-90

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

C:\Windows\system32>
It prompted me to select a network , i selected home network again and also on the next advanced settings unticked all sharing and closed and it gives a code, which i could easily get back if i want.
see this link: It is the same but without real solution
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 11:21:05 pm by jraju »
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2018, 12:09:59 am »
Why are you putting any name into the router - the DNS servers should be left to your ISP's default.

What did it show before you changed it to your name - you need to leave that at default.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2018, 02:59:22 am »
Hi, Boggins, If i change the name to default domain.name (dlink default words) , i get this error
Name resolution for the name _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.domain.name timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded. 
If i rename it to my name, i get error wpad.name timedout . messages with same error code .So, I suppose, there is a kind of dns name issue. I think that xp machine does not have that problem, but the later versions, from Vista would have some issue.
I will do the reinstall after exhausting all the possibilities.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2018, 03:18:37 am »
What is in that section before you put a name in ?

Can you post a pic ?

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2018, 04:33:27 am »
.So, I suppose, there is a kind of dns name issue. I think that xp machine does not have that problem, but the later versions, from Vista would have some issue.

Post the result of ipconfig /all for the XP laptop when connected via ethernet to the router for a comparison.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2018, 04:51:01 am »
Hi, Boggins,please see the picture at post no.39

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2018, 07:56:51 am »
@ Samson - Do you have a comparable router to check what you have where JR has domain.name in his router ?

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2018, 11:24:43 am »
@ Samson - Do you have a comparable router to check what you have where JR has domain.name in his router ?

See attached screenshot. Netgear DG834G non ISP supplied ADSL modem/ router.

"domain.name" is the default entry in J's router? I understand that to be true. It may be ISP/ Region specific and it all seems to work fine on J's XP laptop. I think with that default setting and J's ISP settings and DNS it works and is best left alone rather than just entering random names.

I know J is keen to try and fix the problem, fair play to him, but I'm sure the problem is in J's Win7 machine network, and not his router. A reinstall may be a pain, but may be the only way.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 11:26:33 am by Samson »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2018, 02:07:44 pm »
We haven't seen an ipconfig /all from the XP machine yet.

It would be nice to see a comparison.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2018, 02:23:36 pm »
We haven't seen an ipconfig /all from the XP machine yet.

It would be nice to see a comparison.

Exactly.....J Please post this ^ ^ ^ ^

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2018, 10:17:10 pm »
hi, please see the ipconfig
presume that xp does not have ipvsix support then, so there is no fe.. entry.
i confirmed with dlink rep that domain.name is company default, like ssid dlink pass phrase 1234567890.
difficult to type in laptop.
moreover, the deleted entries in the hklm,software, microsoft, windowsnt,networklist,profiles ,have not been updated on the reboot, but anyhow, i am getting internet access.I can easily restore to SR Point for that purpose
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 10:41:05 pm by jraju »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2018, 11:34:24 pm »
Hi, I am enclosing the home network settings. Pl say, if it is correct. I restored my system to 25.2.2018 before resorted to registry tweak.

Thanks boggins to remind me to create a SR before doing the tweak. It shows as joined, but i will remove the joined as a result of SR

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2018, 01:10:14 am »
That's okay - you can have it set to either Home or Public.

In your ipconfig /all for your XP machine the Node type shouldn't be showing as Unknown.

Create a restore point then follow the steps in this article then post another ipconfig /all - also let us know if it has any effect on your connection on that machine - although we seem to be moving away from the problem with the Win 7 machine.

Are you still intending to do a reinstall on that machine ?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/310570/ipconfig-all-command-shows-the-node-type-as-unknown

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2018, 09:57:14 am »
That's okay - you can have it set to either Home or Public.

In your ipconfig /all for your XP machine the Node type shouldn't be showing as Unknown.

Create a restore point then follow the steps in this article then post another ipconfig /all - also let us know if it has any effect on your connection on that machine

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/310570/ipconfig-all-command-shows-the-node-type-as-unknown

I have seen this before and on XP machines, mostly Dell's with Intel WiFi, showing as "unknown" in Node Type from ipconfig /all.. I have done the following and set them as "Hybrid"..solved an issue reconnecting after "sleep" and "hibernate".

Make a registry backup first, then....

Run the registry editor and open this key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters

Delete the DhcpNodeType value if it’s present.

If the DhcpNodeType value isn’t present, create it using type: DWORD.

Set DhcpNodeType to 1 (Broadcast), 4 (Mixed), or 8 (Hybrid).

Reboot and then check ipconfig /all
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 11:18:10 am by Samson »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2018, 08:27:06 pm »
Hi, Boggins and Samson,
                                     So, both the two solutions try posted related to xp machine. I will do that. It seems that some routers have not made some changes to the windows 7 system, as it is entirely structured one from the xp, which does not support ipv6. So, the xp machines, which may lack security concerns, excels in all other things, like gif animation and it was a darling for all.
                                           While changing the system, it was expected that all the vendors also would give some kind of change thro software update. But , dlink totally lacks in. Ofcourse, firmware updates  are attempted by dlink, but not enough to last long. I asked about the solution regarding this as given as a cause,to link representative.
Enable the spanning tree portfast setting in your router
in the link below
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/3336.event-id-1014-microsoft-windows-dns-client.aspx
He says that it was already done in the latest version of dlink router which i possess now.
Moreover, the server settings and stand alone have something in common , which affects both of them, if a service or improvement is lacking in either of the two.
Net result in annoying issue of internet loss to the users.
Is there any restriction on the number of devices that one could connect? For eg, i may use pc and 2 smartphones on wifi. Would there by some limitations , so that this error crop up. How to know the no of device a router or connection has? Since my router supports 4 lan connections, (eithernet connections), iassume  that it would support atleast 4 devices support.
I have attempted all repairs, but how could i accomplish the last solution of making same channel selection in the router.
I have done the b+g+n to G only connection in the wifi settings in the router, but do not know, how to do the last part of it, in the  network and sharing  settings in the ipv4 properties. Could you say? Of course, i am having wifi router , and my pc is connected thro ethernet. There ia no showing of any wifi connections in the pc and only local area connection.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2018, 09:18:56 pm »
Hi, boggins, After your solution of registry removal of profiles and signatures, which listed 2 settings of network, network 2 in the registry keys, the reboot restored only one network, which i actually have, the problem persisted.
Then i logged in to hidden admin account, thro gpedit.msc and tried to change the network id from business to home.
Then i just gone thro, each item of gpeditor.
AS i browsed thro each item, there were lot of unconfigured entries, almost all in the gpedit.msc, which will override anything in computer settings .
i stumbled upon a registry entry netlogon. As the term was somewhat related to logon, i just read and enabled the first two entries from unconfigured, which is attached herewith for easy reference.
It had stropped disconnecting, after enabling the first two, with the last chance of trying before reinstalling once again.
Now , it appears that it no more disconnects while restarting. i have not tried shutdown chances. I tried those on reboot and there was no disconnect of dsl.
MVP does not touch their answers on gpedit.msc in any of their replies.
If your router manufacturers do not know , the computer settings, they would not fix this problem.
Let us see some more attempts.
I am enclosing those settings , so any one may try in his own risk, after creating system restore point.
The main directory is  gpedit.msc ,in run command
Computer configuration>administrative templates>System>netlogon>dclocator dns records folder and the first two entries as shown in the first and second settings

« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 09:29:17 pm by jraju »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2018, 09:44:13 pm »
In continuation of the above , please see the description part of the two settings:
The Domain Controller (DC) Locator APIs return IP address of the DC with the other part of the information. Before the support of IPv6, the returned DC IP address was IPv4. But with the support of IPv6, the DC Locator APIs can return IPv6 DC address. The returned IPv6 DC address may not be correctly handled by some of the existing applications. So this policy is provided to support such scenarios.

By default, DC Locator APIs can return IPv4/IPv6 DC address. But if some applications are broken due to the returned IPv6 DC address, this policy can be used to disable the default behavior and enforce to return ONLY IPv4 DC address. Once applications are fixed, this policy can be used to enable the default behavior.

If you enable this policy setting, DC Locator APIs can return IPv4/IPv6 DC address. This is the default behavior of the DC Locator.

If you disable this policy setting, DC Locator APIs will ONLY return IPv4 DC address if any. So if the domain controller supports both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses, DC Locator APIs will return IPv4 address. But if the domain controller supports only IPv6 address, then DC Locator APIs will fail.

If you do not configure this policy setting, DC Locator APIs can return IPv4/IPv6 DC address. This is the default behavior of the DC Locator.
2.Specifies whether the computers to which this setting is applied attempt DNS name resolution of a single-label domain names.

By default, when a computer (or the DC Locator running on a computer, to be more specific) needs to locate a domain controller hosting an Active Directory domain specified with a single-label name, the computer exclusively uses NetBIOS name resolution, but not the DNS name resolution, unless the computer is joined to an Active Directory forest in which at least one domain has a single-label DNS name.

If this setting is enabled, computers to which this policy is applied will attempt to locate a domain controller hosting an Active Directory domain specified with a single-label name using DNS name resolution.

If this setting is disabled, computers to which this setting is applied will attempt to locate a domain controller hosting an Active Directory domain specified with a single-label name only using NetBIOS name resolution, but not the DNS name resolution, unless the computer is searching for a domain with a single label DNS name that exists in the Active Directory forest to which this computer is joined.

If this setting is not configured, it is not applied to any computers, and computers use their local configuration.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2018, 12:51:24 am »
That's deeper than I've ever gone into Network settings, but gpedit.exe is only available to Pro versions of Windows and above, although there are steps to enable gpedit in Home versions of Windows.

So is everything fixed now ?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2018, 01:27:35 am »
Hi, Boggins,
                    I have not gone deep in to it. Or i do not know anything of the settings before. I just opened gpedit.msc when i want to log in as admin to make sure changes .
                   There i just clicked something which suddenly shows that inner settings page. Call it a fluke or chance shown to me . I read and it was related to ipv4 and ipv6. I thought of reinstall.  So, just did not bother about anything. Just enabled the first two. I decided to leave others as it is . Restarted the pc and found that there was no dsl disconnect.
                        I do not know, what i have done and i have not enabled any special log. I do not know, where are the logs of these changes in the event viewer.
Here, i just gone to the gpedit once again, and click each item to find enabled . I could have just opt filter or choose all settings in the page. i did not know. I was opening one menu after the other and found that it is in the system tab on the administrative templates. Then i wrote to you about those details.
                  Lucky find! Dlink routers would have changed to other routers because of this persistent problem. How to know those settings? The clue is the hidden admin login i tried which gives me the group policy editor page.
                       I tried restart switch for one or two times and the internet stays so the dsl .
After a few more log on , i will tell exactly whether the problem is solved or not.
i do not know that there is net logon service and it is controlled in gpedit also.
messing around the dependencies of windows dns client services have almost led to fatal errors, even to log in . But by somehow, switch the users and log on to the user account.
                       The first point is deleting the network2 profile with your registry tweak. When it shows only one profile, i thought of doing anything before the last resort to reinstall the windows .

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2018, 01:39:32 am »
When you remove those Profiles, they will be reinstated when you reboot and Ethernet connect - it cleans out any corrupt profiles and gives you a clean slate.

If you check those on your laptop, you will find more profiles as you'll have them for wireless as well.

I don't have gpedit on my Home versions of Windows so can't dig in to see what you may have done, but you seem to have gotten there, although I don't know why you have had to change anything from what was once a clean install of Win 7.

That was a good find :)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2018, 02:02:59 am »
Hi, Boggins,  This issue arises because, dlink has not done anything on this behaviour. They still do not know or not interested. Their services are only sales , i suppose. They should have updated their settings thro software or firmware updates. Instead, they simply say, that there is nothing wrong in their router.
The settings that they would have applied for ipv6, ie xp support, need to have been looked in when the operating system structure drastically changes. The default behaviour of some of the changes that took place in vista and later versions have not been considered by most of the vendors including dlink.
                            How in the world would know those intricate settings in gpedit to touch it to get the solution.
Normally all the  possible fixes are given as unconfigured in the gpedit polilcies.
It is a great relief from the annoying disconnections on every logon restart and closure.
Thanks to you and also for Samson for this.
Windows error shows server type of error diverting us to check whether we have standalone or server

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2018, 04:13:06 am »
Wow! So is this fixed? Good job J   :smiley:

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2018, 04:31:35 am »
Hi, How on earth i know the existence of these settings in gpeditor?
The Dlink router would have the most tries , that any device would have had the restart tries.
I just got frustrated on repeat of reinstall and just closed my eyes for few minutes, and nobody would believe, how i got the screen of netlogon,dclocators dns folders settings, while i browse the gpedit.msc. I read and enabled knowing the risk of complete breakdown.
I will add solved after a few more log ons.
Hi, samson, could you suggest a non intrusive antivirus program, as avast is not closing properly on shutdown. i remember that you are using older version of avast antivirus. Are you still continuing with the same version. Or have you changed to other av. I tried bitdefender free version, but it asks for ie upgrade to the latest version.
                        Hoping my solution lasts for some good days.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 04:37:09 am by jraju »