Author Topic: No Internet, DNS resolver cannot be located  (Read 5274 times)

Offline ddmoore66

• View Profile
No Internet, DNS resolver cannot be located
« on: July 03, 2018, 08:26:27 am »
Hey Shane,

I have run Tweaking Windows repair as an administrator after restarting my computer in safe mode.
I run the "Repair Network" repair from the repair menu.
I reboot, everything works fine for an hour or two.
Then, Ba'am.... No internet again.
I have done this little dance 20-30 times and the result is always the same.
Can anyone help me figure out why I keep losing internet here?

David

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: No Internet, DNS resolver cannot be located
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 08:52:13 am »
Does Event Viewer record this and which version of Windows are you using ?

Offline ddmoore66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 09:42:29 am »
Windows 10 Pro
Version 1803
Build 17132.112
Where in the event viewer would i look for this issue?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 12:33:28 pm »
In Event Viewer ensure that Event Viewer (Local) is highlighted - if it isn't then just click on it.

When it has read the data and you see Critical, Error etc. click on Error and then on View All Instances of This Event in the lower right pane.

You will then see date and time stamped errors - check these for when you had the disconnects or wait until the next one then check Event Viewer.

Clicking on each will produce a little more info in the pane below.

If you aren't sure of any, click on Copy/Copy details as text in the lower right pane - right click in the Reply box and select Paste where I'll be able to see them.

Do you have a modem/router combo or use a separate modem and router ?

Do you get these disconnects just on wireless or also when Ethernet connected and do they still occur in Safe Mode with Networking ?

Win 10 auto disables wireless in Safe Mode with Networking but you can reconnect.

When in Safe Mode with Networking and you are just on the desktop, press CTRL+ALT+DEL then click on the wifi icon in the taskbar then on your SSID and then on Connect.

Left click away from that pane to clear it then click on Cancel where you should have a full WiFi icon.

Check to see if you still get the disconnects in Safe Mode with Networking when using wireless.

Here are some cmds you can execute from a Command Prompt (Admin) or Powershell whichever you are using.

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

netcfg -d

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /renew

ipconfig /registerdns

shutdown /r /t 00

and then see if the disconnects continue after the reboot.

Ignore any error messages about not being able to release/renew adapters that are not connected.

Does your router get exceptionally hot, as this can cause loss of connectivity.

Please answer all questions.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 12:59:19 pm by Boggin »

Offline ddmoore66

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 07:50:47 am »
Hey Boggin,

Thanks for your help!
First, the answers...
- I have a seperate modem & router (although both are provided by the ISP).
- Ethernet does work (but I'm 50+ feet away from the router. So running cat6 cable through the kitchen is not a good idea, which makes my wife very unhappy).
- So far, the internet seems to work when restarting to safe mode (w/ networking) without running any commands or repairs. Which is an interesting twist. Because it has always been necessary to run the Tweaking tool repairs.
- Finally, no... The router is in the coolest room in the house. The ambient temperature in the room is 26*C and the router is 32*C on the warmest part of the plastic case.

The event viewer part is a little more complicated... There are 59 errors in the last hour and 212 in the last 24 hours.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 08:47:42 am »
Can you expand the MSinstaller Event ID 11316 to see if it relates to anything in particular.

Do all of the DCOM 10005 errors relate to the same thing not starting in a given time - I usually ignore those and the average user probably wouldn't know about them anyway, unless there were adverse effects on the machine.

Not disconnecting in SMw/N would point to a driver that isn't loaded in that mode or something else installed on your computer.

You could try a clean boot where all of the start up items and non-MS services are disabled, but the next time it disconnects, go into Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices and check for any yellow alerts, red crosses or black downward pointing arrows - the latter denotes something has been disabled.

Can you also run an antimalware scan with a decent antimalware program - and which antivirus program are you using ?

Did you run those cmds ?

EDIT
- If you don't use a Homegroup then you can change the WMP Network Sharing Service to Disabled - https://ccm.net/faq/20641-windows-disable-windows-media-player-network-sharing
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 08:52:54 am by Boggin »