Author Topic: drive letters swapped after power failure during chkdsk  (Read 4582 times)

Offline dgogratch

• View Profile
drive letters swapped after power failure during chkdsk
« on: July 02, 2018, 05:03:58 am »

It is easy to drone on while asking a question, let me try again.
  A software update 3 mos ago broke my SQL. I finally brought it to work, where IT introduced me to your repair tools. After 45 min or so and it was still not repaired, I offered to just re-install the OS. I got home and found your file still on my drive and decided to finish the optional repairs. Unfortunately we had a split-second power outage during chkdsk, and now...
Win7 Ult/ Ubuntu 18 Dual on a DIY Frankenstein

Endless boot loop to BSOD error 0x0000006b, and it will only attempt to boot in Safe with Networking

C: and D: drive letters swapped, Error D run chkdsk

cannot gain elevated privledges to make changes. I do have access to gparted, boot repair, etc., but so far no luck. I Was going to install Win7 on the drive I had my Disk Image on that I cannot access, but after a format and install attempt the installer stops after copying files. I have looked though here to find a solution on my own, but there always seems to be one step I cannot perform to get to the fix. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if you so choose just let me know what else you need from me...
Thank you for your time...

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: drive letters swapped after power failure during chkdsk
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 05:47:35 am »
So when the installer stopped, did it roll back to the previous install and what have you got now if it did ?

A format may have left you with nothing.

If you still have an OS to work with and you can either tap F8 (or applicable machine key) as you switch on to select Repair your computer or you can boot up with the install disk to navigate to the Install screen to select Repair your computer and then onto select Command Prompt, you can follow the steps in this article to get you to regedt32 and regedit by entering those at the cmd prompt.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/223188/how-to-restore-the-system-boot-drive-letter-in-windows

While it doesn't say it applies to Win 7, I've followed the steps to a point on my Win 7 machine.

Just one thing, right click on the name MountedDevices to select Permissions to check those - Admin has full control by default in my Win 7, so there shouldn't be anything to change in there.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 06:06:23 am by Boggin »

Offline dgogratch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 03:56:43 am »
I had already tried that with no luck. I did not have anything on there that was irreplaceable, so after trying one more time just to make sure I didn't miss a step, i just zeroed the silly thing out last night. It says it has 10 bad sectors, so a trip to the newegg site while waiting seemed the smartest thing. Since I have had 3 Tech savvy people trying to get SQL fixed to no avail, and then this, I think it is time for a more...surefire approach. I work a lot of overtime, and I would much prefer to do that from home, and 3 months without being able to were just enough. I do thank you for your post, and your time, and I am sorry if I took time away from someone who didn't have my options.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 03:58:40 am by dgogratch, Reason: spell check lol »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 04:03:42 am »
That's okay and glad you were at least able to get to the bottom of it.