Author Topic: Windows will not load  (Read 5774 times)

Offline Liquidpet

• View Profile
Windows will not load
« on: August 01, 2018, 03:27:59 am »
Hi, I ran your program yesterday in my computer.  A Lenovo Yoga 2.1. Running windows 10.
It was already on my desktop as I had ran it once already in the past year.  After the program finished it required a restart, however it is not loading at all.  When I turn the computer on it shows the Lenovo logo and a start up icon and then that disappears and goes black.  If I tap the space bar a cursor shows up with a spinning blue circle next to it for about a few seconds and then disappears.  That’s it, nothing else.  The battery is internal so I do not have access to it.  I would appreciate any suggestions. 

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows will not load
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 03:39:50 am »
Which version of the repair program are you using ?

Can you start up the computer and when the logo comes up, power shut it down and do that three times.

That should then come up as Preparing Automatic Repair.

If it comes up and says that it cannot repair your PC, click on Advanced options/Troubleshoot/Advanced options and try System Restore to see if you have any restore points you can select.

Offline Liquidpet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 04:47:18 am »
Hi, I performed the steps you asked me too.  The following error came up.  I am tried the repair option and it said it could not be repaired.  I am trying a different restore date now.  I will let you know what happens.  Thank you for your help. 

Btw...I do not know what version I ran. It had to

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 05:22:12 am »
I had to scroll your pic to see the fail error code.

It could be an awkward one to resolve as I doubt other restore points will be successful.

If so, go back to the main recovery menu and select Command Prompt and enter these cmds -

bcdedit |find "osdevice"

That is a Pipe symbol before find and is the uppercase of \

Using that partition letter instead of the x I have exampled, enter chkdsk x: /r and let me know what that reports.

Enter exit to close the cmd window and reboot to see if the machine boots properly.

If it doesn't, repeat the steps to get into the advanced boot options and try the restore points again.

Offline Liquidpet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 05:32:54 am »
Thanks Boggin.

I am running hard today and was a little impatient (not your fault) and ended up running the reset option which is currently underway.   I’ll let you know what happens. 

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 05:45:31 am »
Did you select the option to save your personal stuff ?

Someone on another forum I work on recently did a full reset and that took about 10hrs, so it could be a while.

Offline Liquidpet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 06:41:59 am »
Yes, I did save the personal files.

It just completed and I am back up and running, albeit with some work to do but at least I have access to all my files again.

Not sure what went wrong to begin with but I appreciate your help getting my info back Boggin.  I have to say I am a little nervous running into this again.

Thanks,

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 07:30:14 am »
Well that was quick - I've been wanting to do that on one of my Win 10 laptops because I'm getting a different restore point error while in the advanced boot options, although it will work in Safe Mode - but if a recovery is needed then it would be desirable to have it working in those advanced boot options.

I do however, create monthly Macrium system images to fall back on.

When you are fully back up, can you create a manual restore point and try a restore from the advanced boot options again to see if the reset has fixed that.

To get into those options from within Windows, press and hold SHIFT throughout a Restart.

I think because Win 10 evolves with each update, Shane has to update the repair program's Permissions, so if you were using an earlier version than 4.0.24 then that could have been the cause of the no boot.

Offline Liquidpet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 10:53:17 am »
Yes, that was much faster than I anticipated.
Ok, I’ll give The reboot a try when I get a chance.

Thanks again.